Horses- Beautiful and intelligent animals

My love for horses started as a child when my Father bought home a stuffed rocking horse for me.
I wore it out & learned the word horse.

By age 11 or so I hade wore down my parents enough that a horse was bought for me.

It was tall & skinny, shipped in from some where from, out west.
Not longer after we got it home it developed 'shipping fever'.

Somehow with my grand father's old methods of treating sick animals pulled it through.
From then till some where about of age 16 ,, I out grew the horse.
Saved the money from selling it ,,till I got married , at age 21

These are pics I took myself in Spain....

horse-spain-dance-jpg.jpg

Horses are truly magnificent animals. I'd like one as a pet, but where I live that's impossible. I do live near horse country, where many people have horses for competition such as dressage, etc. Also riding to the foxes, although it is not the real McCoy anymore, but just enacting it out.

Very nice thread :)

Also called the Horse of the Sea, the white horses of Camargue in Southern France attract tourists and professional photographers from all over the world. They come to see them playing in the water during sunrise and sunsets. To ride one of these horses is unforgettable!

The British car company Rolls Royce love the horses so much they name one of their cars Camargue!

The horse is Blue Hors Matine. After she was retired from dressage, she suffered a paddock accident. One of her front legs was broken at the knee and she had to be euthanized.

When we first moved here, we were going to rent a house that came with horses -- five (IIRC) fully intact Clydesdales, plus a bunch of miniature horses. The landlord wanted me to take over caring for the horses - the biggest ones I've ever seen -- and I didn't know a thing about it. Just no. I did know that stalls have to be mucked out, and horses exercised and fed. I figured between learning how to do it, and actually doing it, we should have gotten a large chunk off the rent (maybe all of it). They are about 16-18 hands and weigh up to 2200 lbs. The Budweiser horses are even bigger. No pre-novice, IMO, should be handling those horses. In fact, no pre-novice should be handling horses alone.

The anatomy on the Clydesdales was such a shock that I covered my daughter's eyes to keep her from seeing it. Of course, that didn't work. One cannot usher one's daughter through life with her eyes covered.

Back in the day, I used to make my young stepdaughters cover their eyes when we stopped at a light at which the KKK, dressed in their sheets, were fundraising. Now that was important to me. I didn't want them to see those vile people. This was in the early 80s!

Last edited:
One day years ago, I went to see a movie of which there were several. I saw one called "The Black Stallion". I choose that one to check out. It remains one of my favorite movies. I really fell for the beauty and and intelligence of that horse and the the boy's relationship with him. :)

One day years ago, I went to see a movie of which there were several. I saw one called "The Black Stallion". I choose that one to check out. It remains one of my favorite movies. I really fell for the beauty and and intelligence of that horse and the boy's relationship with him. :)

Back