Housekeeping by Yourself

I agree with changing the air filter on a regular basis to help with dust and pet hair. For me, the hardest part of doing it is getting started. I get up when a commercial comes on TV and start tackling things. Once I start, I usually keep going until the task is complete. When I get tired, I sit back down. Next commercial, get up and do some more. Cleaning in short spurts daily will help you keep up with a lot of things. I can keep things somewhat tidy and clean just doing this. There are somethings, deep cleaning the fridge or oven that I have to start and complete at one stretch. I have a little plastic carrier that I have cleaning supplies in. I can carry it through the house with me so I have what I need for each task. I also put a roll of paper towels and rags tucked in. I try to make it as easy as possible. I don't like to have to stop and go look for a cleaner, rag, sponge, or brush.

When my Wife crashed her car two years ago, one of the insurance policy benefits was a cleaning lady who came in 3 days each week for 4 hours at a time. She was paid by our insurance company. Here in Ontario all car insurance policies must include medical benefits and other helpful things like the cleaning lady and home nursing visits, paid by the insurance company. Wife spent a number of months attending a physio clinic twice a week, all paid for by the insurance company. They also provided a rental car for a month, as ours was so badly damaged that it was declared a total loss by the insurance company. We got about $9,000 for it, which we used to buy a slightly newer similar car to the one we had. My Wife was in hospital for a week following the crash which happened about 100 miles from our home here in Toronto. Of course there was no cost to us for her care, which was 100 percent covered by the Ontario Health Insurance Plan. We did buy a newer light weight vacuum cleaner that is easy to use. JimB.

When my Wife crashed her car two years ago, one of the insurance policy benefits was a cleaning lady who came in 3 days each week for 4 hours at a time. She was paid by our insurance company. Here in Ontario all car insurance policies must include medical benefits and other helpful things like the cleaning lady and home nursing visits, paid by the insurance company. Wife spent a number of months attending a physio clinic twice a week, all paid for by the insurance company. They also provided a rental car for a month, as ours was so badly damaged that it was declared a total loss by the insurance company. We got about $9,000 for it, which we used to buy a slightly newer similar car to the one we had. My Wife was in hospital for a week following the crash which happened about 100 miles from our home here in Toronto. Of course there was no cost to us for her care, which was 100 percent covered by the Ontario Health Insurance Plan. We did buy a newer light weight vacuum cleaner that is easy to use. JimB.
We only get a rental car if we have fully comprehensive insurance, which is what I have. Anyone with just 3rd party fire and theft or 3rd party only.. doesn't get a courtesy car... .. What a great idea to pay for outside help while the insured person is debilitated .. this doesn't happen here

We usually have company at least twice a month, most often one of our kids and his/her family, but it's enough to motivate me to dust. A godsend: our dog is part poodle and has fur-type hair that needs clipping, so no shedding.

The house generally stays pretty clean now that it's just DH & me. When the kids were growing up, keeping things clean and straight was an ongoing battle that was often lost daily. I'd win the hill at night when I'd straighten up after they went to bed and lose it again five minutes after they got up in the morning. :rolleyes:

Back