Housekeeping by Yourself

I do the housekeeping by myself and have my entire life since I have been married way back in 1965. As I have aged I just take things a lot slower and do things as I can. Now that it is just me in the home it isn't like my home is getting really messed up anyway. So I pace myself and do what i can. I will be turning 80 in May and I don't need the added stress of working myself hard. I also have my granddaughter who helps sometimes when needed and she will come over.

I have a vintage flat "fuzzy duster." It's like a squeezed wire coat hanger with a cloth cover and fat, dangly threads. I get on all fours and swipe under things occasionally. However, getting back up is a BIG issue. I've also turned to using a shop-vac. It's much lighter, has much more suction power, long hoses, and numerous extension wands. I leave it out all the time and I don't have to move it much to get to hard to reach places.

I wonder if the size would be intimidating and I don't know what noise they make.

I once dropped a light bulb. My tabby instantly went for her new "shard toys." No way, she got scooped up and put in the bedroom until I cleaned it all up.
You have to watch the fast cats! I always worried about dropping meds! I'm currently cat-less, but my newish dog is a rapid racer and out to destroy whatever she can! I also think that shedding animals would require a robot cleaner to be emptied really often.

I have a vintage flat "fuzzy duster." It's like a squeezed wire coat hanger with a cloth cover and fat, dangly threads. I get on all fours and swipe under things occasionally. However, getting back up is a BIG issue. I've also turned to using a shop-vac. It's much lighter, has much more suction power, long hoses, and numerous extension wands. I leave it out all the time and I don't have to move it much to get to hard to reach places.
get one of these to help you when you have to get down on hands and knees. It's a garden kneeler, and very lightweight, but can be used either to sit on, or turn it over to kneel on for weeding etc.. and the handles altho' aluminium for lightness, are very strong to pull you up from a kneeling position... and it folds flat for hanging ... very easy and simple to use, and one of the most useful things around the house

61PgIC483XS._AC_UL320_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/5566-Foldabl...sprefix=garden+fold+up+kneeler,aps,126&sr=8-6

get one of these to help you when you have to get down on hands and knees. It's a garden kneeler, and very lightweight, but can be used either to sit on, or turn it over to kneel on for weeding etc.. and the handles altho' aluminium for lightness, are very strong to pull you up from a kneeling position... and it folds flat for hanging ... very easy and simple to use, and one of the most useful things around the house

61PgIC483XS._AC_UL320_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/5566-Foldable-Gardening-Multiuse-Gardeners/dp/B08S367FLD/ref=sr_1_6?crid=GU1LFBTZXGD8&keywords=garden+fold+up+kneeler&qid=1649873500&sprefix=garden+fold+up+kneeler,aps,126&sr=8-6
Thanks Holly! I like the pocket attachment, too! The high handles would definitely help! Good to hear from you! Update: Just found it on Amazon for $18.xx including free shipping and a $20 discount applied! https://www.amazon.com/5566-Foldabl...08S367FLD/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_pl_foot_top?ie=UTF8 (I ordered it!!!)

Last edited:
My goodness, what a treasure you were. ♥️

i had geriatric in home patients...i have mowed their grass...cleaned carpets and drapery...even painted a lady's porches...lots more...I guess that's why I can't do my own as well as i used to
Hopefully, all the things you did kept you physically strong for far longer than folks who spent their lives sitting still. But, it's true that hard physical labor eventually will take its toll. My neighbor cleans homes and offices for a living and is already seeing the effects - and she is only in her thirties. /-; I wish you well!

Hopefully, all the things you did kept you physically strong for far longer than folks who spent their lives sitting still. But, it's true that hard physical labor eventually will take its toll. My neighbor cleans homes and offices for a living and is already seeing the effects - and she is only in her thirties. /-; I wish you well!
i grew up doing laborious outside work....like a mule ....i call it...years of it...yes ....it took it's toll...I can't look back now....forge ahead!
Thanks hon

Yesterday, for the first time ever. I had a housekeeper come in to help me clean. I emphasize help...as I pitched in woth some of the lighter work. She did really well, as I had some excess clutter (red faced admission) and I paid her extra.
She is going to help me get through my pre and post him surgery time. She does a few others in the building..usually once a month.
I saw wow...my kitchen and bathroom floors have never looked so clean.
I am not sure if I will keep using her once I am fully recovered from surgery, but then again, I may have her for occasional big cleaning.

Yesterday, for the first time ever. I had a housekeeper come in to help me clean. I emphasize help...as I pitched in woth some of the lighter work. She did really well, as I had some excess clutter (red faced admission) and I paid her extra.
She is going to help me get through my pre and post him surgery time. She does a few others in the building..usually once a month.
I saw wow...my kitchen and bathroom floors have never looked so clean.
I am not sure if I will keep using her once I am fully recovered from surgery, but then again, I may have her for occasional big cleaning.
Good for you! I've thought of hiring a house keeper, but I'd have to pre-clean or my embarrassment would kill me! But seriously, if you can afford it and it makes your life easier, I say "Go for it."

We do it in bits now. No all day cleaning…those days have come and gone 🥴. We have a roomba which does most of the vacuuming, but still try to vacuum with the regular vacuum once a week….but like I said, that task is one room each day. Dusting is done weekly. Floor mopping probably not often as we should or used to, but it’s just the two of us and cat, so it doesn’t need it as often. Bathroom sinks and toilets are done daily. Tub and shower as needed. And I should add this is the routine in the winter. When the temps warm up and the sun shines, outdoors is where we hang out and the housework becomes good e’nuf for anyone to walk in and we wouldn’t be god-awful embarrassed 😁

Back