How Did You Meet Your Spouse?

I met my late husband on a blind date at an amusement park with some mutual friends. He was in the service, stationed on the west coast and home on leave, and I was home from college for the summer. I was a rollercoaster and thrill ride junkie and he was terrified of them all, but to impress me he went on all of them with me. Whatta guy!

I met my hubby via a website. My friend bet me $5 that if I placed an ad, someone would respond. (I'd previously had terrible luck meeting any suitable men) I took her bet and lost the $5........... but won an amazing man. :love_heart:

Oh WoW, Don, I don't imagine for a minute you would have any idea that when you were in your senior years you would be telling the whole world by electronic means that this girl was your wife... fab story!!

As many others, met my wife on a blind date although I had no idea who she was, just a friend of my cousin. her boy friend's car had a problem and she said that if we could use my car she'd get me a date. That was in 1953 an my now wife had just turned 17 and I was in the 5th month of a 4 year military hitch.

We seemed to hit it off, were married 2-1/2 years later and we're still together today. I've always been thankful that my cousin's bofriend had an unreliable car.:D

I was married right out of high school in 1971, one child 12 years later and a divorce 4 years after that. Met second husband 1997 at a Parents Without Partners Halloween dance/meetup, yes I had a costume on. We lived together 5 years and married in 2002 in Fiji. He died of melanoma in 2011 and I never want to marry again.

I met my (ex) spouse when I was 16. My family moved to a small town in New Hampshire. We were across the street from the town's "Center of Activity," the Crossroads Country Store, Gas station & Post Office. Three girls (cousins) stood across the road in the parking lot. One of them had her little brother bring a note to me. She wanted to meet me. Next thing I knew, I had joined the choir of the local church (next door to my house!), and sat between the 3 girls every Sunday. I took one girl to the Junior High School Prom, the other to the Senior Prom.

We went our separate ways. The, 30+ years later, I was on Classmates.com. A lady friend of my (deceased) brother said Dodi wanted to connect with me. A few weeks later, I flew from Florida to Maine to see Dodi again. I proposed to her the next morning. I got married at 49 years of age. Unfortunately, we eventually decided we weren't a good match, but we departed as friends.

He saw me in a college play and asked a mutual friend to fix us up on a date. We both had terrible colds when the time came. I remember we both had to come up for air during our first kiss. LOL! Married 46 years this June.

standing at the counter of the local junkyard with my buddy waiting to see if they had a fuel pump for my 49 Pontiac hearse. (my home at the time). I looked out across the yard and there was a 57 chevy convertible sitting up on blocks. Out from under the back end came a pair of white go-go boots followed by a pair of purple hot pants. I nudged my buddy and said "if that's a guy, I'm asking him out" :D Turned out to be the girlfriend of the junkyard dude. Don't know why, but 3 weeks later we got married. :) 46 years later... we're still married. :love_heart: Oh yeah, the hearse went to the junkyard. :D

Attachments

• 57ragtopvt.jpg
    57ragtopvt.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 32
Well, my buddy was going to Japan to see his relatives and asked me if I'd like to go with him. Being single I, of course said yes .....We visited a travel agency and had a trip set up to visit Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong and Manila. It was going to be a fun trip.

We flew from Toronto to Chicago and on to Los Angeles to catch the plane to Tokyo. We had a 5 hour layover in Los Angeles and, after going through the usual customs stuff, we wandered around the terminal. Tak, my buddy, gave me a nudge as he pointed out two Asian girls seated, talking to each other. I noticed, in particular, one of the girls who had long black hair and was a beauty.....I was smitten....

Anyway, came time to get on the plane and I mentioned to Tak that the two girls were getting on the same plane. Not much chance of seeing them as it was a 747. The line slowly marched toward the plane and we were finally on it. We wandered down the isle to find our seats. As we moved forward I saw the two girls ahead of us seated.....The seats we had were right in front of them. What were the odds.

I was busy trying to put a bag in the overhead bin when I heard a voice ask me if I needed help....It was the girl with the long black hair.....I was really smitten....After sitting down I turned to thank her. I found out her name was Sue, going back to Taiwan with her sister to visit relatives......

Long story short, when we arrived in Tokyo Sue and her sister gave us their phone number in Taiwan and said, if we liked , when we arrived in Taiwan we could call them and they would meet us at the hotel and show us around Taipei.....Which, of course we did. They did come to the hotel, we went out and had a marvelous time which led to Sue and I exchanging phone numbers and addresses.

Sue and I have been happily married for many years. I can thank my buddy Tak for the best trip I ever had.....Unfortunately he and Sue's sister did not have the same luck.

met him all that i dont stand for lol bitter cold thick snow night standing with people at a bus stop car came down the hill went into a glide on the ice -etc ..he turned around come back offered to give lifts if they where going same way as him -- I said no I dont want a lift -he said all busses have stopped running to icy 'so I did get in ' he lived nxt road to me - then short story we was married // wish I caught that bus sometimes hahaha

I had placed an online personal ad, and a friend of my husband saw it and she showed him. He did not even have an email account at the time, and contacted me through his friend's email address. I wrote back, and gave him my number. At the time, he lived about 40 miles from me. First time we talked on the phone, we talked about 3 hours. That was in 1998 or so. He moved in a year later, and we married in 2001. He grew up near where I did, and it turned out we knew some of the same people, and had probably even met at one time. Seems he dated one of my cousins for a while. Small world.

My late husband and I met in my 1st year of my undergraduate college degree. We were introduced by a mutual friend at the Student Union and he later invited me out to dinner. From that moment on I was hooked into his good looks and his charm.

standing at the counter of the local junkyard with my buddy waiting to see if they had a fuel pump for my 49 Pontiac hearse. (my home at the time). I looked out across the yard and there was a 57 chevy convertible sitting up on blocks. Out from under the back end came a pair of white go-go boots followed by a pair of purple hot pants. I nudged my buddy and said "if that's a guy, I'm asking him out" :D Turned out to be the girlfriend of the junkyard dude. Don't know why, but 3 weeks later we got married. :) 46 years later... we're still married. :love_heart: Oh yeah, the hearse went to the junkyard. :D
But you left out the most important part of the story - -What happened to that '57 ragtop?? 😀

I really should not say --coz its everything iam against hahha-heavy snowed winter 'lucky to get the train Just left boyfriend and huge row - then standing at bus top someone said no transport omg '''then car stopped every one got in I said no way '' but I did or I have froze ' we got chatting saw him nxt night - and married him --how I wished I walked home LOL...…………….

As many others, met my wife on a blind date although I had no idea who she was, just a friend of my cousin. her boy friend's car had a problem and she said that if we could use my car she'd get me a date. That was in 1953 an my now wife had just turned 17 and I was in the 5th month of a 4 year military hitch:D

That was 2 years before I was even born....am I making you feel old? ;)

I met my (ex) spouse when I was 16. My family moved to a small town in New Hampshire. We were across the street from the town's "Center of Activity," the Crossroads Country Store, Gas station & Post Office. Three girls (cousins) stood across the road in the parking lot. One of them had her little brother bring a note to me. She wanted to meet me. Next thing I knew, I had joined the choir of the local church (next door to my house!), and sat between the 3 girls every Sunday. I took one girl to the Junior High School Prom, the other to the Senior Prom.

We went our separate ways. The, 30+ years later, I was on Classmates.com. A lady friend of my (deceased) brother said Dodi wanted to connect with me. A few weeks later, I flew from Florida to Maine to see Dodi again. I proposed to her the next morning. I got married at 49 years of age. Unfortunately, we eventually decided we weren't a good match, but we departed as friends.

A little OT but the village you described reminds me of a town in Maine, where a couple of numbered highways intersect. On one corner is a combination country store, pizza joint, and gas station. Across the way is a small diner serving breakfast and lunch.

That little town is our "home away from home".

Well, I was quietly nursing a vodka tonic at the top floor bar of a night club in Waikiki minding my own business. In the mirror, I could watch couples out on the dance floor. Along came my future wife who asked the guy on the next stool to move further down the bar. She told me later that she liked my graying hair.

We dated every day for the remainder of her Hawaiian Vacation, then she went back to Dallas.

Within a few days, I realized that I absolutely could not stand the idea of not spending the rest of my life with her. I caught a plane to Dallas and proposed. That was 35 years ago.

At a certain age, which varies with each individual, your hormones and intellect strike a unison saying,
'It is time to marry.'
(Carly Simon's ' We'll Marry' is a primer on the subject.)

I've wondered if it is actually societal dictates that usher in these behaviors?
My criterion was not that difficult:
Speak English (I had just returned from Germany)
Can't be ugly
Can't be stupid
There were many that met & superseded those requirements, but there was not that 'spark.'
There is no definition for 'that spark' varies from individual to individual-I suppose.

I dated a green-eyed beauty for awhile, neat girl/lady, but too high-dollar for my taste.
We went to one of those revolving restaurants in Toronto or Detroit, can't remember. (see C'est #18)
She seemed to have a good time. I was scared witless, I still had enough red-neck knowledge to know,
you do not get way-high in the air in some type of room that spins.
" Oh, the view!"
.View hell, this joint is going to spin off like a flying saucer and were going to be kissing the ground at any moment.

Next candidate:
Meet a lady/girl within the year that had that 'spark.' I was a goner.

Regardless of 'how gone you get.' (that is a cute and apt phrase)
You better determine her/his origin-parents: is there alcoholism, mental illness, any other weirdness that the
selected party may have in her genes.
I did, found some disturbing history, to late, to late, I was a goner!

Back