How do you feel about men, over 60, with long hair?

My husband had long hair always tied neatly in a pony tail . For over 20 years he banked with a major bank in our local small market town. They all knew him well, they knew what he did for a living they knew he had a healthy account, but they were all very business like in the ir dealings with him.

One day he went in and he couldn't understand why suddenly all the clerks and counter staff were very friendly.. they were calling him Sir.. and generally being very convivial.

It didn't take him long after a few visits, to realise that they'd started being this way once he'd cut off his pony tail... how shallow can you get?..

He emptied his accounts and transferred them to another bank...

This is a recent photo of my husband now aged 60..

Nige-HD.jpg

I want to see if I can grow my long and I am curious to see what it will look like, one thing is for sure short hair is easier to manage

I read that his previous wife - Heather Mills (who was close to the age of McCartney's daughter) talked him into having cosmetic surgeries, probably so he wouldn't look like her father. As we've seen with many celebrities, that's not always a good idea. Things change with age.
That's why I love how Robert Plant has chosen to age naturally:
Robert Plant at 70: Remembering the Led Zeppelin singer's oft-forgotten  side-project, The Honeydrippers | The Independent

Robert Plant exclusive: I don't want to be stuck in the '70s or the '80s  | Salon.com

There have been accouple of times i thought about wearing pigtails during this pandemic.
Finally talked my son to cutting my hair a couple of times. Turns out I thought he did a
better job than my barber. No, I don't worry about long hair on anyone at any age. I'm just
thankful I still have some. I expect my bare head would look like a coconut.

Last edited:
My husband had long hair always tied neatly in a pony tail . For over 20 years he banked with a major bank in our local small market town. They all knew him well, they knew what he did for a living they knew he had a healthy account, but they were all very business like in the ir dealings with him.

One day he went in and he couldn't understand why suddenly all the clerks and counter staff were very friendly.. they were calling him Sir.. and generally being very convivial.

It didn't take him long after a few visits, to realise that they'd started being this way once he'd cut off his pony tail... how shallow can you get?..

He emptied his accounts and transferred them to another bank...

This is a recent photo of my husband now aged 60..

Nige-HD.jpg
I don't find it shallow at all.

That's the difference in presenting yourself in a clean-cut way. If a man wants to go through life wearing t-shirts and pony tails and looking sloppy, that's how people will see him, and chances are good, the man will be greeted according to his overall presentation or lack thereof.

My husband on the other-hand, who by the way doesn't have a "healthy account"... is tall, built like a football player, has biblical thick, wavy dark hair, is clean shaven, and still looks like he's in his 40's, and when he walks into a bank the tellers address him as though he's a Wall Street executive.

Oh boy. I completely agree that how you present yourself counts. If you are dressed in dirty clothes, haven’t showered and have dirty hair, it’s probably not the best way to present yourself if you care about making a good impression.

The length of a persons hair shouldn’t have any bearing whatsoever on how much respect they get no matter what gender. As long as the person is clean and respectful then their hairstyle and length shouldn’t matter.

If you had an employment role where long hair presents a problem, like food establishments, woodworking, machine operator etc., then either shorter hair might be more appropriate, hair net, hair bun or pony tail.

If on the other hand, none of the above matters or is even relevant, then being judged by the length of your hair can be considered somewhat shallow.

Of course it’s all said respectfully as I understand not everyone feels the same way.

Back