How do you maintain a healthy diet?

@Tommy , Well done sir! (y)

I'm wondering if there is a good way to maintain a healthy nutrient balance without having to record every single thing one eats.
My weight loss was mostly in 2018-19, I am still journaling my food intake in order to maintain my weight loss. I'm 1206 days into using Myfitnesspal app to record and track my nutrition, this is working for me. Some people suggest that "your body will tell you what to eat", well I'm sorry to say that approach won't work for me...maybe if I was single. My wife clings to her...how should I put it...her toxic eating habits(major carbs & sugar) and frequently has snacks and sweets in the house. However, I do most almost all of the cooking, so I can steer the household meals in a better direction.

Never eat after 7 pm. Eat some chocolate every day, its one of the 4 major food groups,
like coffee and ice cream. Eat lots of green and leafy vegetables which sometimes annoys
your hub. LOL!

Moderation and portion size is key!
I was contemplating taking drastic action such as surgery to lower weight. My pre-diabetic levels were at risk and I was buying all bigger clothes.
My family doctor suggested seeing a nutritionist to help with my weight loss and try visiting her first. For 3 months, I had to write down what I was eating and drinking all through each day. My portion sizes had to be reduced sometimes more than half.
I bought myself a compact air fryer instead of using the frying pan, I never batter anything(despite being in the South). I cut my breads intake and stopped the chocolate snacks each day. (So hard for a chocoholic).
After 4 months, I had lost 40 pounds and 7 inches of my waist. I am not where I want to be but gradually getting there.

How do you maintain a healthy diet?​

I hold my breath and jump up and down three times. Seriously though, I have acupuncture treatment every week specifically designed for weightless. Treatment builds up stamina & energy, clears my mind, curbs my appetite and helps me get through the week.​

As we get older our metabolism slows down and some of us tend to put on weight. That's where I found myself a year ago, so I made the decision to try a personal experiment. I made a commitment to myself to clean up my food choices and to maintain a well balanced diet. No special exercise regimen, no fad diet, just that.

For the first part, I chose to seriously minimize my consumption of highly processed foods, refined sugars, fried foods, white flour, foods containing significant amounts of saturated fat, and alcohol. I found this to be much easier than it first sounded.

The second part involved keeping detailed records of what I eat. I don't know that many people could/would actually do this, but here I have two distinct advantages. One, I actually enjoy keeping records (an occupational hazard) and, two, my wife is an exceptionally good sport.

My dietary targets were to get less than half of my calories from carbs, less than 30 percent from fats, and at least 30 grams of dietary fiber per day. No limit on the total number of calories. I have to say, the results of my experiment fascinated and truly astounded me.

Initially, my daily calorie intake plummeted to around 1200/day. Eating the right foods in the right proportions, I just wasn't very hungry. After about a week, any cravings for junk food had all but vanished. By the end of eight months, I had lost over a third of my starting body weight and reached what I consider an ideal weight for me. I've maintained that weight for four months now. My caloric intake slowly increased to about 2000 calories per day and I sometimes have to remind myself to eat a bit more to keep from losing any more weight. And I've had to replace all of my size 42 waist pants with 36 waist.

The down side is coming to understand just how difficult it is to maintain those nutrient ratios. Many good fiber sources come with a lot of carbs. Protein is often accompanied by high fat content. I'm wondering if there is a good way to maintain a healthy nutrient balance without having to record every single thing one eats.
I went on WW, lost 20 pounds, then went off of it cause I knew what to eat. I eat fish, 93% beef, lots of fruits and nuts, seeds, vegies, etc. My weight has been maintained. My lab works records show I am doing great. I try to keep sugars and fats at an all time really low! Fried foods and desserts are a no. However, once a week I drink a Coke with no sugar, and sugar free frozen yogurt at night. Plus, I was getting in 10,000 steps in everyday for about 4 months. Now, I don't do that, I am lucky to get in 3,000 steps in.

Moderation and portion size is key!
I was contemplating taking drastic action such as surgery to lower weight. My pre-diabetic levels were at risk and I was buying all bigger clothes.
My family doctor suggested seeing a nutritionist to help with my weight loss and try visiting her first. For 3 months, I had to write down what I was eating and drinking all through each day. My portion sizes had to be reduced sometimes more than half.
I bought myself a compact air fryer instead of using the frying pan, I never batter anything(despite being in the South). I cut my breads intake and stopped the chocolate snacks each day. (So hard for a chocoholic).
After 4 months, I had lost 40 pounds and 7 inches of my waist. I am not where I want to be but gradually getting there.
I also think that if I take care of myself, I most likely will have a better life and just maybe a longer life.

I went on WW, lost 20 pounds, then went off of it cause I knew what to eat. I eat fish, 93% beef, lots of fruits and nuts, seeds, vegies, etc. My weight has been maintained. My lab works records show I am doing great. I try to keep sugars and fats at an all time really low! Fried foods and desserts are a no. However, once a week I drink a Coke with no sugar, and sugar free frozen yogurt at night. Plus, I was getting in 10,000 steps in everyday for about 4 months. Now, I don't do that, I am lucky to get in 3,000 steps in.
I also check my BMI. I like to keep my waist line down, weight down, keep sugar and salt out, exercise, etc.

As we get older our metabolism slows down and some of us tend to put on weight. That's where I found myself a year ago, so I made the decision to try a personal experiment. I made a commitment to myself to clean up my food choices and to maintain a well balanced diet. No special exercise regimen, no fad diet, just that.

For the first part, I chose to seriously minimize my consumption of highly processed foods, refined sugars, fried foods, white flour, foods containing significant amounts of saturated fat, and alcohol. I found this to be much easier than it first sounded.

The second part involved keeping detailed records of what I eat. I don't know that many people could/would actually do this, but here I have two distinct advantages. One, I actually enjoy keeping records (an occupational hazard) and, two, my wife is an exceptionally good sport.

My dietary targets were to get less than half of my calories from carbs, less than 30 percent from fats, and at least 30 grams of dietary fiber per day. No limit on the total number of calories. I have to say, the results of my experiment fascinated and truly astounded me.

Initially, my daily calorie intake plummeted to around 1200/day. Eating the right foods in the right proportions, I just wasn't very hungry. After about a week, any cravings for junk food had all but vanished. By the end of eight months, I had lost over a third of my starting body weight and reached what I consider an ideal weight for me. I've maintained that weight for four months now. My caloric intake slowly increased to about 2000 calories per day and I sometimes have to remind myself to eat a bit more to keep from losing any more weight. And I've had to replace all of my size 42 waist pants with 36 waist.

The down side is coming to understand just how difficult it is to maintain those nutrient ratios. Many good fiber sources come with a lot of carbs. Protein is often accompanied by high fat content. I'm wondering if there is a good way to maintain a healthy nutrient balance without having to record every single thing one eats.
My wife makes me do it.

Tommy, as far as I'm concerned, as long as one knows the food they're eating is as natural as possible, and they limit or eliminate their intake of "goodies", it isn't necessary to keep a record. I believe our bodies tell us when we've gone off-road. That's been my experience, anyway.

Tommy, as far as I'm concerned, as long as one knows the food they're eating is as natural as possible, and they limit or eliminate their intake of "goodies", it isn't necessary to keep a record. I believe our bodies tell us when we've gone off-road. That's been my experience, anyway.
My body must have a severe speech impediment. 🙃

Seriously, I'm happy to hear that this works for you. I consider you fortunate. It seems to very a lot from person to person.

It's been nearly three years since I started actively controlling my carb/fat/protein ratios and my weight has generally remained +/- one pound. (I weigh myself weekly). I did get a bit lax over the holidays and found that I felt hungrier. Ate more. Put on a few pounds. After a couple weeks of careful management, I'm back to my normal weight of 170.

I appreciate your input. Maybe someday I'll get the hang of it. 😄

I seldom eat red meat. Enjoy my yogurt and fruit every Tuesday and Thursday morning. Best of all, I keep away from restaurants. Oh, eating healthy is part of the deal. You got to exercise and walk a bit too. A life in front of the TV is a real killer. Haven't been to a restaurant for many, many moons!

You re-adjust your scale after you over-indulge? That's BRILLIANT! 🤣
I'm just joking. I knew you meant readjust what you eat.
I couldn't resist.
That's me too! I keep a close eye on my weight, and every morning I step on the scales. During the holidays when I go off my diet, I can see the scales go up. I eat carbs more during those days and holiday foods. I am back on my diet and my numbers are back to where they should be and clothes and coat fitting much better.

I fast.
Day 15 (1/26/22), of a 20 day (or more) fast. Intermittent, one meal a day keto foods, except a 48 hour no food interlude.
Amazing results. Jokes on here are even funnier. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: (endocrine overload) I love dopamine so much.
All senses are heightened. Yes, that one too. :) As if I need that problem. 😇

Mountain biking, (it burns tons of calories) staying active and discipline on what and how much I eat. But that discipline is hard! I love chips and fries. Also, intermittent fasting works. For instance only eating during 6 to 8 hours a day and not eating the other 16 to 18 hours. And eating whole foods as much as possible.
I don't like fasting at all. I did the one meal a day thing and that just doesn't cut it, especially if I am used to eating 3 meals a day. Plus, getting the amount of fruits and vegies and other things in one meal just isn't good. I don't live in the mountains, I live in the plains of Texas and right now it is snowing and riding a bike at my age is out of the question. I walk and get 10,000 steps a day-that is my goal.

You need discipline when you go shopping....stick to buying healthy food and resist the temptation to buy all the goodies. However, I do think it helps to allow one day in the week when you indulge in something you really like. Don't deny yourself a little treat.
Although I carefully manage my carb/fat/protein ratios, I try to build in one day a month when I take a break from it and eat whatever I feel like. It's usually a holiday or birthday or other such event. It makes celebrating easier and it also keeps me from feeling "deprived" of some of life's little pleasures.

On regular days, I often feel like I'm eating more than I want (eating just to "make the numbers") but if I don't keep those ratios, my weight goes up. Weird, but that's what works for me. :rolleyes:

Back