How do you stop a bad man with a knife

Warrigal

SF VIP
Video of a young man in the Sydney CBD who had run amok with a knife and stabbed at least one woman.
The woman has been taken to hospital and is in a stable condition.

He seems to be mentally ill and is subdued by bystanders armed with various items including a chair and a milk crate. They chased him down the street and warned other people to get out of the way until they had him on the ground.

Not in Sydney, Matey. We have other methods.

The silver haired man from a bank hit him on the back of his head with a chair and brought him down. Then everyone piled on him, disarmed him and pinned him to the ground with a milk crate and a chair. A couple of men involved were firemen and they restrained one man who wanted to crack his head open with a tire lever.

Unconfirmed report that he did kill one woman.

It appears to be attempted suicide by cop.

Last edited:
Update - the dead woman was a sex worker and he attacked her savagely.
It appears that this was not a terrorist attack, even though he was spouting what sounded like Islamic slogans.
He had a USB stick with information on mass deaths and mass casualties around the world, namely from North America and New Zealand. Clearly disturbed but not known to be linked to any terrorist groups.

.... but if our police knew how to stop people using knives..we'd not have the appalling almost daily knife attacks which have become a scourge on parts of our Capital in the last year or so..

Be glad it's "just" knives. In the U.S. we now have had more occurrences of mass shootings than # of days since Jan 1, 2019:

And this was only through August 5th! CBSNews.com:

The amount of mass shootings across the U.S. so far in 2019 has outpaced the number of days this year, according to a gun violence research group. This puts 2019 on pace to be the first year since 2016 with an average of more than one mass shooting a day.

As of Aug. 5, which was the 217th day of the year, there have been 255 mass shootings in the U.S., according to data from the nonprofit Gun Violence Archive (GVA), which tracks every mass shooting in the country. The GVA defines a mass shooting as any incident in which at least four people were shot, excluding the shooter.

The toll of 255 mass shootings include five high-profile massacres in the past eight days, in which more than 100 people have been shot:
  • A shooting in a historic district of Dayton, Ohio, with nine people killed and 27 injured.
  • A shooting at Walmart in El Paso, Texas, with 22 people killed and at least 24 wounded. It was the deadliest shooting of the year.
  • A shooting at the Gilroy Garlic Festival in the San Francisco Bay Area, with three people killed and 15 injured.
  • A shooting at a Brooklyn block party, with one person killed and 11 injured.
  • A shooting at a Walmart in Southaven, Mississippi, with two people killed and two injured.
Before the El Paso attack, the deadliest mass shooting of 2019 happened in a municipal building in Virginia Beach, where a former city employee killed 12 people and injured four.

The GVA said there have been 33,237 total shooting incidents, resulting in 8,796 gun deaths and 17,480 injuries, as of Monday afternoon August 5, 2019, in the USA.

In Australia, after a gun attack that killed multiple people in Port Arthur, by a deranged man, we had a gun "buy back"

People surrendered their guns, and were given some recompense. Still didn't stop another deranged man perpetrating a gun attack in a crowded cafe in the middle of the CBD.

There are still guns in Australia, most of them illegal, which are used by the criminal element.

Very few bystanders are killed by guns - they are mostly used in targeted attacks by criminal elements.

Out main problem now is the "random" knife attack. That will kill one or two people.

We have very lax laws/bail conditions regarding our mentally disturbed people. They're let out on bail.

We do need stronger bail conditions, and I really do think that we should still have mental health facilities/hospitals to put these people well away from the general population.

I have always been an advocate for more consistent sentences that are handed down by judges. When I look at the types of crimes and then see the sentences handed down by the court, they are all over the place. I'm not just talking about locally, but even state to state.

I think that even some states allowing the death penalty, while others oppose it are also inconsistent. To me, at least, it would be in our best interests to either have the death penalty as a country or not have it. If I kill someone in New York, I already know that I will not be sentenced to death, but if I kill someone in Pennsylvania, I may be sentenced to death. This does not mean that if I wanted to kill someone and didn't want to face the death penalty that I could lure that person to New York because that would make it a Federal crime and the Fed does have the death penalty. (e.g. Timothy McVeigh-2001.)

On top of that is the fact that even though there are several states that have the death penalty and have convicts sitting on death row, it's unlikely that they will be executed. Governors are very hesitant when it comes to signing death warrants that would allow the sentence to be carried out, especially in the more liberal states, like California, which executed their last prisoner in 2006 and Pennsylvania in 1999.

If states that have the death penalty have no intentions of using it, the state legislature should ban it and commute all death sentences to life w/o parole. The reason being that life on death row is much different than life in the general population. I don't support or condone what a prisoner did to get put on death row, however, I believe that being in prison w/o parole is also a death sentence of sorts. Just knowing that you are never getting out can really drive some men to commit suicide and has.

I have seen 18 y/o young men committed to prison with a life w/o parole sentence. I couldn't even begin to imagine how they must feel at that moment when the sentence is handed down. In Pennsylvania, life is life. There is no parole, however, I have known a few Governors to commute sentences to time served and put offenders back on the street.

I have always been an advocate for more consistent sentences that are handed down by judges. When I look at the types of crimes and then see the sentences handed down by the court, they are all over the place. I'm not just talking about locally, but even state to state.

I think that even some states allowing the death penalty, while others oppose it are also inconsistent. To me, at least, it would be in our best interests to either have the death penalty as a country or not have it. If I kill someone in New York, I already know that I will not be sentenced to death, but if I kill someone in Pennsylvania, I may be sentenced to death. This does not mean that if I wanted to kill someone and didn't want to face the death penalty that I could lure that person to New York because that would make it a Federal crime and the Fed does have the death penalty. (e.g. Timothy McVeigh-2001.)

On top of that is the fact that even though there are several states that have the death penalty and have convicts sitting on death row, it's unlikely that they will be executed. Governors are very hesitant when it comes to signing death warrants that would allow the sentence to be carried out, especially in the more liberal states, like California, which executed their last prisoner in 2006 and Pennsylvania in 1999.

If states that have the death penalty have no intentions of using it, the state legislature should ban it and commute all death sentences to life w/o parole. The reason being that life on death row is much different than life in the general population. I don't support or condone what a prisoner did to get put on death row, however, I believe that being in prison w/o parole is also a death sentence of sorts. Just knowing that you are never getting out can really drive some men to commit suicide and has.

I have seen 18 y/o young men committed to prison with a life w/o parole sentence. I couldn't even begin to imagine how they must feel at that moment when the sentence is handed down. In Pennsylvania, life is life. There is no parole, however, I have known a few Governors to commute sentences to time served and put offenders back on the street.
This makes sense to me but it would also serve well to treat gun ownership in the same manner. A Federal law to cover all.

Video of a young man in the Sydney CBD who had run amok with a knife and stabbed at least one woman.
The woman has been taken to hospital and is in a stable condition.

He seems to be mentally ill and is subdued by bystanders armed with various items including a chair and a milk crate. They chased him down the street and warned other people to get out of the way until they had him on the ground.

A good man with a gun.

Back