How far should diplomatic immunity extend?

Actually it's not just diplomats.

Under the Visiting Forces Act any serving US citizen in a similar position can be (and usually is) whipped off back to the States without the police being allowed to see them.

I imagine much the same happens on the mainland.

this woman has no values at all -she is being shielded by her position ect---
cannot believe she cannot come back to face up what she has done -killed a young lad on his bike because of her stupid ignorance
of driving wrong side of road 'wonder if she had been drinking will never know now 'the parents are totally heartbroken and saddend
that being a mother her conscience and morals if she had any that is would come back to the uk .

but being a brit family they will never give up on this issue !!!!!

Actually it's not just diplomats.

Under the Visiting Forces Act any serving US citizen in a similar position can be (and usually is) whipped off back to the States without the police being allowed to see them.

I imagine much the same happens on the mainland.
Those in power and abuse that power shouldn’t be trusted in any position of authority.

Until I saw "Lethal Weapon II," I didn't know exactly what "Diplomatic Immunity" was. I think it's outrageous & stupid to allow someone to get away with a crime. Our justice system is pathetic enough as it is, now.
I do like the way it was revoked (in this movie):

Gott'a have it, how else are we going to spy on Russia, Iran and about 40 other nations.
We cannot have our spies tried in foreign courts.

There is a legitimate reason for immunity. That is to stop diplomats from being held as hostages. For centuries, diplomats were held as hostages and routinely executed. The concept of immunity is to protect them, and their families from being harassed by trumped up charges, intimidation, etc. There are a lot of rules about what is covered under immunity. Generally, for acts that are considered Illegal in their own nation, the diplomat will be recalled, and will be tried in the diplomat's home nation. Since any change in what constitutes immunity for other diplomats will also change what constitutes immunity for your own diplomats, all nations try to keep the status quo. And immunity protects other wives from being picked up and tortured by non-friendly regimes.

Last edited:
In this particular incident it does seem like a travesty but as fuzzybuddy states, there has to be some form of protection for diplomats and their families, otherwise they can always be taken hostage under trumped up charges.

As I stated, this is the exception where the "crime' is clear and not in question, but in the overall picture, allowing these folks to be detained and arrested under hazy charges would be unconscionable and make it impossible for them to safely do their jobs.

The op topic of diplomatic immunity -Okay, let us watch when the nation of Angola attempts to haul the richest woman in the world into court.

Her daddy just happens to have been president of Angola for twenty years + his daughter just happened to earn close to 2 billion dollars during pappy's tenure.

Papppy was president 20 plus years, assisted in his daughter's economic empire, he is out of office and the new president has blown
the whistle, along with 70 journalist and three nations-all are very, very interested.
To date they have 70,000 documents, receipts... It would appear they have an absolute paper trail.

Luanda dos Santos, sweet dtr of the president stated on an interview with BBC several years ago stated her money was accumulated over
two decades. Two billion dollars is a lot of money to accumulate.

Her daddy, when president, brokered some very sweet deals for his beloved dtr: the son-in-law is also involved
I supposed husband and wife splitting part of the stocks and ownerships was a vague, attempt to cover the paper trail.

Daughter is currently in Portugal, the current president has frozen her and hubby's assets in Angola. (Angola was a former colony of Portugal,
and sweet daughter is a citizen of Portugal, not Angola.)

Given the evidence, I suspect Luanda dos Santos will attempt to avoid any court appearance:
what type of immunity you think her lawyers can dig up to keep her out of court?

The op topic of diplomatic immunity -Okay, let us watch when the nation of Angola attempts to haul the richest woman in the world into court.

Her daddy just happens to have been president of Angola for twenty years + his daughter just happened to earn close to 2 billion dollars during pappy's tenure.

Papppy was president 20 plus years, assisted in his daughter's economic empire, he is out of office and the new president has blown
the whistle, along with 70 journalist and three nations-all are very, very interested.
To date they have 70,000 documents, receipts... It would appear they have an absolute paper trail.

Luanda dos Santos, sweet dtr of the president stated on an interview with BBC several years ago stated her money was accumulated over
two decades. Two billion dollars is a lot of money to accumulate.

Her daddy, when president, brokered some very sweet deals for his beloved dtr: the son-in-law is also involved
I supposed husband and wife splitting part of the stocks and ownerships was a vague, attempt to cover the paper trail.

Daughter is currently in Portugal, the current president has frozen her and hubby's assets in Angola. (Angola was a former colony of Portugal,
and sweet daughter is a citizen of Portugal, not Angola.)

Given the evidence, I suspect Luanda dos Santos will attempt to avoid any court appearance:
what type of immunity you think her lawyers can dig up to keep her out of court?

Dunno, but diplomatic immunity wouldn't fit. It only covers diplomats in foreign countries.

Back