How far south is the air quality affected

My husband went shopping earlier today (we're in eastern Washington state, USA) — he says the air was not smoky.

My guess is it has to do with the wind patterns across Canada, the U.S., and the Pacific ocean.

This morning the sky is just a tiny bit clearer than yesterday.
No quite so smokey as yesterday and I can actually see the water in the lake and distant shoreline so that is encouraging for my neck of the woods. Some clearing in other areas
Let's hope it keeps on going South

Yeah, you Canucks, Keep your smoke to yourselves. 🤔
Outside my house, it looks like just about sundown, and foggy. It's possible to smell the smoke. To cause these effects in Pennsylvania, the Canadian fire must be monstrous. Hope they put this thing out, soon.
Fuzzy. Its not just one fire.........it is hundreds of fires, across two thirds of our country. JimB.

Very bad here in the DC/MD/VA area. They are warning us to stay indoors today, especially if we are elderly, or have any health problems. It looks very misty, even though the sun is shining through.

Fortunately, I don't have to go anywhere until this evening, and that's only a short drive.

I don't usually put much stock in "air quality" statistics. What are you going to do-not breath? I had to go out last evening. All over was this greenish fog. You couldn't see down the end of the road. It was everywhere. I could see the sun and there was a red ring around it. Then it dawned on me that I was directly looking at the sun!!!!!!!!! I could smell the odor of a wood fire, and I was having trouble filling my lungs with air. And I could taste this prickly taste on my tongue. I was glad to get back inside. I know forest fires are natural events, but you don't think nature is that intrusive.

I live on the west coast so unfortunately we get lots of wildfires. I sympathize with all of you affected because the smoke is awful. I wear a N95 mask if I have to go out in it because I have asthma.

I had the BBC lunch time news on and it was reported on here in England , and was interviewing people wearing masks , the sky looked smokey and a woman who was interviewed said cars are covered in a gritty ash .
I feel really sorry for those that suffer with breathing , it also said Children were told not to play out , so it must be a health risk .

Yeah, you Canucks, Keep your smoke to yourselves. 🤔
Outside my house, it looks like just about sundown, and foggy. It's possible to smell the smoke. To cause these effects in Pennsylvania, the Canadian fire must be monstrous. Hope they put this thing out, soon.
It isn't just one fire , there are a bunch of fires . Here in mid BC the air is fine. In the far north of BC there are a couple of fires but the smoke hasn't reached us yet.
''
Visit The Weather Network's wildfire hub to keep up with the latest on the active start to wildfire season across Canada.

Environment Canada has issued special weather statements on poor air quality across multiple regions of B.C. due to wildfire smoke and fine particulate matter on Wednesday.

A smoky skies bulletin from the B.C. government covers the Fort Nelson region in northeast B.C., the Kinbasket area on the B.C.-Alberta border in the east, and Inland Vancouver Island.

ALSO READ: Uncontainable wildfires continue to ravage Canada with no end in sight

That's where five of B.C.'s fires of note — those that are particularly concerning or pose a risk to public safety — are burning. Those include the large Donnie Creek fire in northeast B.C., the Cameron Bluffs fire near Port Alberni on Vancouver Island, and two fires south of Dawson Creek.

Closer to the South Coast, Metro Vancouver has issued an air quality advisory covering the eastern parts of the regional district — including Coquitlam, Surrey and Langley — as well as the Central and Eastern Fraser Valley.

"Two out-of-control wildfires burning near Harrison Lake are producing considerable smoke that is contributing to degraded air quality and hazy conditions," reads the advisory.

"Hot and sunny weather in combination with local emissions and wildfire smoke has resulted in elevated levels of ground-level ozone."

Last edited:
Plane flights in New York were halted yesterday.

This picture from N.J.

APTOPIX-Canada-Wildfires-New-York.jpg

I haven't read any of the articles on the wildfire, but I'm wondering if the US is helping to get the fires under control?
"Governor Kathy Hochul today announced that a team of Department of Environmental Conservation Forest Rangers is deploying to assist with efforts to contain wildfires raging in eastern Canada. The New York team will join firefighters from New Hampshire and Maine in Quebec. Hundreds of fires in Quebec have triggered several days of air quality health advisories across New York State."
https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/go...ranger-crew-assist-canadian-wildfire-response

Heard her say this on local news.

I've been waiting for it, and got the first indications yesterday. SW Virginia has an upper atmosphere haze covering the entire sky, which was supposed to be sunny all day yesterday. I can't smell smoke, but the light has the beginning of a yellow glow, which happens during forest fires I've seen in Montana.

Back