How long can you stand to wear your mask....

We have those copper fit masks, very lightweight, cool and they fit great. You don't even know you have a mask on usually, unless you want to scratch your nose...lol.

I have a variety. I quickly learned that the 100% natural fabric ones are so much more comfortable!! They don't heat up my face at all, and I can wear them for extended periods with no discomfort.

One of the early masks I ordered from Etsy was well made and fits great, but it was SO HOT. I have problems wearing man made fabrics, polyester, nylon etc., so it occurred to me to go look at the listing on Etsy to see what it was made from.

Sure enough, one of the layers was polyester!! That's when I started searching for 100% natural fabric masks. I have two now that are 100% natural fibers and I wear them most often.

I have a variety. I quickly learned that the 100% natural fabric ones are so much more comfortable!! They don't heat up my face at all, and I can wear them for extended periods with no discomfort.

One of the early masks I ordered from Etsy was well made and fits great, but it was SO HOT. I have problems wearing man made fabrics, polyester, nylon etc., so it occurred to me to go look at the listing on Etsy to see what it was made from.

Sure enough, one of the layers was polyester!! That's when I started searching for 100% natural fabric masks. I have two now that are 100% natural fibers and I wear them most often.
Like you I have several different types of masks. N95s that I bought 2-1/2 years ago after seeing a Ted Talk about the likelihood of future pandemics, and various fabric masks sent me by crafty friends. The N95s are actually more comfortable, though I reserve their use for store outings.

For social distance meetings with family members I wear a fabric mask. Being of soft material, they flex inwards. With each inhale they come up against my nose and mouth making them far less comfortable than the more rigid N95s.

With fabric, beware of 100% cotton masks, @Ronni. Cotton and linen fabrics tend to be loose weaves or super skinny threads (so effectively loose weaves). More space between cross threads provides larger holes for aerosolized virus to sneak through. That's why cotton is a more "breathable" fabric than polyester. Normally a good thing, but not in this case.

With fabric, beware of 100% cotton masks, @Ronni. Cotton and linen fabrics tend to be loose weaves or super skinny threads (so effectively loose weaves). More space between cross threads provides larger holes for aerosolized virus to sneak through. That's why cotton is a more "breathable" fabric than polyester. Normally a good thing, but not in this case.

I hear you!! Thanks for having my back! 💖 And I agree.

I've been careful. Those natural fiber masks I referred to are triple layered for just that reason, because of the cross thread space. The outside layer is pretty fabric, then the inner two plain cotton with a space between for a filter. The layering adds protection, but the fiber makes it easier to breathe in than the made made fabrics, even with all those extra layers.

I might re-think my mask strategy if I were having to be around others daily for a regular work day, where the viral load would be considerable. But for running out quickly to the grocery store, Walgreens or the occasional other errands like a pick up or post office etc., I feel safe.

I had my mask on while I returned items to a store and it was uncomfortable and hot and I felt a headache coming on (I have a cloth one). I won't be going anywhere that says I need to wear a mask while I am there; i.e., dentist, doctor, hospital for tests (I am due for a mammogram) so it looks like I will be hanging around the house more still. Sigh...I can't imagine anyone wearing one all day.
It's unpleasant. It's a PITA. You can't breathe. Nobody can hear what you're saying. You can't hear what they're saying. With my COPD it's making it difficult enough that I'm going to have to go to the pulmonologist. I'm half suffocated all day and I still wear the damn thing while everyone around me with normal lungs keeps taking theirs off and they whine incessantly about it.

Around three hours (have to wear at work) before I need a break. It's misery on sinus headache days. Thankfully, I work as a consultant and set my own hours.

I loathe them. I made my own from a piece of felt. Some places want me to wear one that covers my nose better.
At least felt is soft, costs 30 cents. I do minimum shopping, nowhere else to go.
And I can't hear ...I have poor hearing anyway. People don't care, they will not even take their mask
off for a second to talk. I dont think babies should wear them because they may suffer psychologically
years later. They do not understand, and rarely catch it or give it to others.

Depends on the mask. The first ones I bought are the cup style and the second ones I bought I could go all day with. They are thick and soft and tie on as opposed to elastic. I don't recall what site I bought them from. I bought others but none of them compare with the ones I prefer.

I recently tried folding a scarf into a triangle and using it as a mask (like a bandit) makes it slightly easier to breathe. Slightly. For me, anyway.
I get a kick out of those "Bandit" masks. Ya know why it's easier to breathe in them? Because it's not form fitted to the nose & chin; it just touches the nose & hangs straight down without forming over the chin, so it doesn't restrict breathing as much as a regular mask.
Of course it doesn't keep out viruses as much, but neither do the regular masks. :)

I can't wear a mask at all due to a medical condition which would make me faint. If I have to run into a convenience store for anything, I wear a thin chiffon scarf over my noise & mouth but I can only last a couple of minutes especially because it's so hot and muggy here. I can't grocery shop at all with a face covering.

We're having such an exceptionally hot summer that a lot of people are going half masked. Mouth covered, nose not. Even police are like that when directing traffic or something for which their presence is required. Where I live the extreme heat is not helping people to tolerate their masks.

In my case I don't have any medical condition that prevents me from wearing a mask. The other day we had to go to the optician and their policy is NO ONE is allowed in without a mask, NO EXEPTIONS-- and they stand by this policy. It's fine by me, it's their business and they have a right to set the policy. The only other place I've encountered that requires masks is the hospital, and that's where our doctor's office is.

I usally wear a dust mask as I have them. I've worn these types of dust masks for several hours at a time with no problems until the other day. After having it on for about 20 minutes I got tired and it seemed to be from the stale air I was breathing in, as it pretty much abated when I removed it and was able to breath fresh air. I found this really curious as I have worn them for long periods of time when I needed protection from dusty environments. I also have a beard which allows air leakage around the edges of the mask.

I found it curious, not terribly concerning; I don't wear a mask for my protection. My oxygen levels are usually 100% when I've gotten checked and I'd run earlier in the day which seems to give me the feeling of more intake capacity through out the rest of the day. Perhaps I just happened to be taking shallower breaths with mask on?

Better now that I wear a shield , and I don't wear it very long. I don't get into crowds for any reason. Even the Dr agrees with how I am doing things. Also wear gloves that I clean up going in and out of stores when I do need to go in there.

I've found the paper ones (white on one side and light blue on the other) slightly easier to breathe in than the cotton ones. They may not be as effective, though. But they're certainly better than nothing.

I can sympathize with medical personnel who have to have them on all day.

Better now that I wear a shield , and I don't wear it very long. I don't get into crowds for any reason. Even the Dr agrees with how I am doing things. Also wear gloves that I clean up going in and out of stores when I do need to go in there.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/face...ection-coronavirus_l_5f1f1a39c5b638cfec486fdc

Currently, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is not recommending face shields for everyday activities or as a substitute for cloth face coverings.
However, some experts — such as Eli Perencevich, a professor of internal medicine and epidemiology at the University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine — believe that face shields could potentially be more effective than cloth face masks in the community setting.

https://angelfmonlinegh.com/2020/07...by the,the spread of the virus in the country.

According to a joint statement issued by the two Associations the increasing use of the face shields without masks as protection against COVID-I9 is very dangerous and will increase the spread of the virus in the country.

When you go to your doctor they typically weigh you, take your temp, & put that tester on your finger for your blood oxygen level. I understand temp measurement is critical in detecting the virus. I also understand breathing & lung function are critical so we bought one of those finger oxygen testers.

• 417fUmiehjL._AC_US40_.jpg
  • 51vzlTuDUEL._AC_US40_.jpg
  • 41itUnD6TiL._AC_US40_.jpg
  • 51AKkH04gEL._AC_US40_.jpg
  • 51T153kt3IL._AC_US40_.jpg
  • 51KkVRUEV4L._AC_US40_.jpg
Image Unavailable
Image not available for
Color:

LOOKEE Premium Fingertip Pulse Oximeter Blood Oxygen Saturation Monitor with Alarm and Plethysmograph and Perfusion Index | Finger SpO2 Tracker | 2-Color OLED Display | Carry Case, Batteries Included

All that to say I was curious about the n-95 face mask & what if anything it did to blood oxygen level. Took my level was 95% put the mask on for an hour blood oxygen read 90% . Not scientific & 90% isn't critical but breathing in carbon dioxide instead of oxygen can't be good long term.

When you go to your doctor they typically weigh you, take your temp, & put that tester on your finger for your blood oxygen level. I understand temp measurement is critical in detecting the virus. I also understand breathing & lung function are critical so we bought one of those finger oxygen testers.

• 417fUmiehjL._AC_US40_.jpg
  • 51vzlTuDUEL._AC_US40_.jpg
  • 41itUnD6TiL._AC_US40_.jpg
  • 51AKkH04gEL._AC_US40_.jpg
  • 51T153kt3IL._AC_US40_.jpg
  • 51KkVRUEV4L._AC_US40_.jpg
Image Unavailable
Image not available for
Color:

• LOOKEE Premium Fingertip Pulse Oximeter Blood Oxygen Saturation Monitor with Alarm and Plethysmograph and Perfusion Index | Finger SpO2 Tracker | 2-Color OLED Display | Carry Case, Batteries Included

LOOKEE Premium Fingertip Pulse Oximeter Blood Oxygen Saturation Monitor with Alarm and Plethysmograph and Perfusion Index | Finger SpO2 Tracker | 2-Color OLED Display | Carry Case, Batteries Included

All that to say I was curious about the n-95 face mask & what if anything it did to blood oxygen level. Took my level was 95% put the mask on for an hour blood oxygen read 90% . Not scientific & 90% isn't critical but breathing in carbon dioxide instead of oxygen can't be good long term.
Imagine doing that mask thing 8 hrs a day. If your O2 dropped after an hr. It sucks. But we are living in a time where we gotta do what we gotta do to protect one another. I have one of those meters in case things get bad so I know when to call for help.

Back