How often do you travel?

Traveled for work and pleasure for many years...got burned out. Only travel when we "have to"...

throwpillow,small,600x-bg,f8f8f8-c,0,120,600,600.jpg

Going down to Jacksonville soon to check out some real estate. There are some nice neighborhoods in that area and I would be close to the Naval Air Station, unless they close it down. Getting people to join the military these days has been an issue. I would go back, but 30 years was enough. I do miss it though.

@Jaiden all my sincere condolences. I've lost hubby over 6 months ago. Our wedding anniversary was in June (he died end of April), and we were planning day trips at the beginning of 2022. Then DIY over July and August... All stopped!

Meanwhile, the UK weather (for the ones if you travelling to here) we've got notifications of snow, sleet and probably freezing rain. Meanwhile, the news alert today in my green corner is that no trains will run for the next 5 days. Travel chaos at airports. No mail delivered and NHS nurses and ambulances all on strikes.

Sincerely, I can understand wanting better pays and work environment. However, messing up with people's lives (some of us are waiting for VIP correspondence) will only bring anger, disappointment and distrust. Not the proper way to go about it.

I've seen this ugly patterns repeatedly for the past quarter century. After the lockdowns, the Pandemic, the crisis one after another... I just wish the ones concerned would give what's deserved and prevent these disruptions year in year out.

It's a sad time in our lives. Nevertheless, the optimistic in me always sees a rainbow at the end of the dark clouds. Travel if you must (yes, getting away from it all IS beneficial) just don't be surprised if things go bump in the night, day, afternoon, morning, evening and more... LOL!

At the end of the day, a gorgeous forest landscape covered in snow.... Magical! Blessed be...😊

Attachments

• ay_103413560.jpg
    ay_103413560.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 4

How often do you travel?

The problem for me, is getting my legs to agree which one of them puts the first foot forward, and the rest of me has to stay put until they work something out.
Happily they are in tandem today, I've been to the front gate twice, I may even get ambitious and go to town after lunch. 😊

@Jaiden all my sincere condolences. I've lost hubby over 6 months
Condolences........6 months and you're still in shock.......for me a year later I thought I was handling things pretty well.....wrong!

Now I'm 19 years into the best relationship I've ever had and it's getting better all the time.......good luck.
Travel if you must (yes, getting away from it all IS beneficial)
Funny...I/we regard travel as heading to somewhere rather than 'getting away'.......terminology rather than attitude perhaps?

Condolences........6 months and you're still in shock.......for me a year later I thought I was handling things pretty well.....wrong!

Now I'm 19 years into the best relationship I've ever had and it's getting better all the time.......good luck.

Funny...I/we regard travel as heading to somewhere rather than 'getting away'.......terminology rather than attitude perhaps?
Nope not terminology as to when we'd travel in the past it was always to get away from stress lol! Currently, just going out for shopping is a blessed fun thing to do. Hubby always took the children out after they'd finished school, me I stayed home to look after pets. Now 6 months on, getting out for groceries plus bits and bobs, after organising our Groceries App and planning our outing, funky!

Friday, I've picked up my last gift for hubby, a brand new brass memorial plaque for his ash casket. Then daughter and I acquired two new keychains as mine said "Mrs Always Right" and hers was "Daddy's Precious Princess" We now have a Bugs Bunny for her and a kitty cat with a wiggly butt for me.

Got an emergency today, had to jump on the bus and pick-up milk and butter... You know you plan and plan, you shop, pay, get home and then blam! Shitaki mushroom we've forgot the dairy aisle lol!

But, with the trains not running for the next 5 days, puts a wee kink in our plans to visit Glasgow shopping centre to see the decorations and maybe get a box of Mrs Fields Cookies... Bummer, as from the 18th I'd love to stay home get ready for a Blue Christmas and reflect on 2022 which was supposed to be Angelic... So much for some predictions. Oh well!

PS my current tablet's wallpaper.

Attachments

• 585023.jpg
    585023.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 0
Oh wow! Let's see... 1982, my first solo trip fortnight. Only got one week for honeymoon in 85. In 90s there were daily trips to beaches, that was fun; the road trip for work was daunting. The last major trip was a two days affair but well worth it. In the last 25 years, all it was, lots of day trips, last one in 2011.

Plans for retirement travels are now gone out the window as Pandemic puts restrictions I disagree with. I'll go back, probably, to chair travelling via videos 😁. Besides trips in 82 and 85, the cross-country skiing weekend in 87 was magical.

Attachments

• c4e8f168e28c396509e1abcbcb37ad38.jpg
    c4e8f168e28c396509e1abcbcb37ad38.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 0
We don't travel because we have no one to watch our dogs, and there's too many of them to put into a kennel, lol. But because I still have family in New Jersey and Florida, I have traveled alone to see them, but it's been a few years since I've done so. We're planning on buying either a camper or an RV in the future so that we can both travel together, and bring our dogs with us. :)
That's what we did. About 12 years ago we bought a used motorhome. Best decision ever. We don't go far but we do go often.

Depends on your definition of “travel”

We go at least once a year to California to visit son and his family.

Usually once a year to upstate NY to visit friends and family as well.

Several times a year we’ll pack a bag and head out to a Airbnb for 2-3 days, sometimes within our state (Tennessee) sometimes to a neighboring state, just to get away.

Our last holiday was to our little villa on our special island in Greece …
it was june and sept 2012…….in the October, hubby had his stroke …..😢
no more holidays 😢

View attachment 262001
That’s sad that you can’t travel. My dad had a massive stroke at 59 but once a year I took care of him for 2 weeks so my mom could go on vacation which she really needed. She took care of him for 14 years.

That’s sad that you can’t travel. My dad had a massive stroke at 59 but once a year I took care of him for 2 weeks so my mom could go on vacation which she really needed. She took care of him for 14 years.
I have no support Terry, and going out now has become diffiltcult , he is paralysed so can only jiggle himself places…..plus incontinent …and anxiety ……we try and go places here , an hours drive , and I have to turn around and come back

I don’t know what your dad was like , and sound like you were a good son, but we have no family for support ….
we re ok, we ve got used to it now ……he has all his home comforts here ……😊

plus my husband was 69 when he had his stroke and is coming up to 80 now ,
so age telling ……

Charry, yes your husband’s situation is much worse than my dad’s. We bought the house next door to my parents and it worked out well because I could help with my dad and my mom helped with my kids while I went to college. Plus my dad had lots of company between my 3 kids, husband, myself. I was a good daughter 😂.

I have always loved traveling, the excitement of being someplace else, meeting new people, seeing things I've never seen before. My job gave me the opportunity to visit parts of the world that I probably would not have otherwise seen and I augmented that with additional trips for vacations. But times have changed. The traveling public has lost their manners and airlines charge fees for everything then cram us into uncomfortable seats on aircraft or put thousands of us on ships floating on the water.

Maybe it's just me. Maybe it's just a product of getting older although I'd hate to think that was true. I once envisioned this time of my life as visiting my bucket list destinations. But that has changed. I wish I was still the traveler that I once was but sadly, I'm not.

I wish I was still the traveler that I once was but sadly, I'm not.
Moi aussi. My 'bucket list' was to visit every country in the world.....(and that was just on Page One)..........now it's not "When we go" it's "If we go", and if/when we return from that one, then 'dream time' renews.

Charry, yes your husband’s situation is much worse than my dad’s. We bought the house next door to my parents and it worked out well because I could help with my dad and my mom helped with my kids while I went to college. Plus my dad had lots of company between my 3 kids, husband, myself. I was a good daughter 😂.
Oops sorry terry 🧐

It’s just been me looking after my hubby
But we’re ok we re soulmates
I’m his limbs and he’s my councillor lol

Charry, you definitely are an angel for providing loving care all these years. My 2 siblings never helped but after my dad died I moved across the country for my career and when my mom needed help they did step up to the plate.

I would fly in and use all my sick and annual leave but then go back to work. My sister said once she wished I still lived locally because I would be more help than my brother. I was glad I didn’t because they would have done nothing.

After 12 years, 41 countries, 51 trips, 510 travel days, and 18 cruises, we are done with lengthy
travels. All our previous trip stories will remain here, however. We thank everyone who has
had the interest to read them, and travel with us.
We are not done with traveling, but we will take short trips paced at our leisure.
“Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our
breath away.”
Enjoy your own journeys as we have enjoyed ours
www.stevekathytravels.com

Back