How Often Do You Use the Dictionary or Google?

Do You Have to Use a Dictionary or Google to Define Words?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I Wonder About Many Words But Don't Care Much.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I used to use WordWeb quite often, but it must have gotten lost amongst the shuffle of computer upgrades sometime ago. This thread brought it back to mind, I'll have to revisit the program. When in doubt, I typically use the Internet or MS-Word. I could really use a pen or pencil with a good spell checker.

I used to use WordWeb quite often, but it must have gotten lost amongst the shuffle of computer upgrades sometime ago. This thread brought it back to mind, I'll have to revisit the program. When in doubt, I typically use the Internet or MS-Word. I could really use a pen or pencil with a good spell checker.
I've got to try that too.

Oh yeah, the definition of surreal, finally:

Surreal | Definition of Surreal at Dictionary.com
https://www.dictionary.com › browse › surreal

adjective. of, relating to, or characteristic of surrealism, an artistic and literary style; surrealistic. having the disorienting, hallucinatory quality of a dream; unreal; fantastic: surreal complexities of the bureaucracy.

I thought I DID know what "surreal" meant, but now that I read this, I am very uncertain! :unsure::unsure:
(Or very 'unsure' ? Alexa or Google: What AM I thinking?! )
:sneaky:

Surreal is what we call something we don't really grasp or understand. It is often used inappropriately or just dead wrong.
However, it is a word we can use to define something we don't understand.

Critics use it often when they don't understand movies, books...
It is a good word to have laying around.

" I didn't understand it."
"Yes it's surreal.

I rarely use it. I have spell check but so many times my attempt is so bad it can't figure out the word I'm trying to spell. I don't even go to the dictionary for that, I just go to search and put in a quick sentence using the word I use Wikipedia quite often to find info on a subject that interests me.
I do the same. Without spell check and Wikipedia I would be lost as I am one poor speller.

When I type a word into Google search, it automatically comes up with the word, pronunciation, and definition. Doesn't it do this for everyone? Perhaps it is because I play my own game of Scrabble 3d with a custom board ?

I marked other because I sometimes use the online dictionary and sometimes I use google. Usually if I see spellcheck is docking me for something and I can't figure it out on my own. other times to look up words i come across for the definitions so i can either use them properly or look up ones someone else has used that i've never seen before.

When I type a word into Google search, it automatically comes up with the word, pronunciation, and definition. Doesn't it do this for everyone? Perhaps it is because I play my own game of Scrabble 3d with a custom board ?
does on mine

tracks them to where? and what's the big deal if they track a search?
Tracks, as in keeps a detailed history of your internet activity, then gets premium advertising dollars by targeting advertising based on your searches and other activity. (We don't really think it's a coincidence that after we look up "how do pool heaters work" we're then barraged by ads for pool heaters, do we?)

I prefer to use a search engine that doesn't do that, but to each our own.

does on mine
Thanks, Marci! I would guess that it should do that for everyone, but no way to know. So, it gives good service to the two of us, at least! I really like that feature. Also, since I'm not Googling anything inappropriate, if I type in "2005 Chevy problems," I don't resent getting ads from Chevy or parts places or manual companies. Besides, we can always delete our traces and cookies. No big deal for me.

Back