How old are your spices?

I heard on the radio about cooking spices being really out of date. A women's apple pie tasted bad, turns out a spice was decades old. I'm not much of a chef. The only spice I have is big bottle of garlic powder. I checked. "Best by Aug 22 2005".
How old are your spices?
5️⃣th. Yep, that's me pleading the 5th. :giggle: I replace the things I use often but that's because they're getting close to empty. Other things... uh... yeah, pretty ancient. Seriously, though... years old and even many years old, I've never been able to tell a difference and I've not heard that any would be dangerous, so I'm okay with it.

5️⃣th. Yep, that's me pleading the 5th. :giggle: I replace the things I use often but that's because they're getting close to empty. Other things... uh... yeah, pretty ancient. Seriously, though... years old and even many years old, I've never been able to tell a difference and I've not heard that any would be dangerous, so I'm okay with it.
A long time ago ( 1970's ) I used to have a sideline business where I bought bulk amounts of spices and baking items, then repackaged them into smaller home use amounts. I sold these items at local flea markets, for less than half of the normal store prices. A typical Saturday at the market would see my table sell out by 1pm. A 50 pound case of cashews after being repacked as one pound bags brought me a $125 profit on the case. Jimb.

I heard on the radio about cooking spices being really out of date. A women's apple pie tasted bad, turns out a spice was decades old. I'm not much of a chef. The only spice I have is big bottle of garlic powder. I checked. "Best by Aug 22 2005".
How old are your spices?
that's almost 20 years old...lol....

My spices are all in date...

A long time ago ( 1970's ) I used to have a sideline business where I bought bulk amounts of spices and baking items, then repackaged them into smaller home use amounts. I sold these items at local flea markets, for less than half of the normal store prices. A typical Saturday at the market would see my table sell out by 1pm. A 50 pound case of cashews after being repacked as one pound bags brought me a $125 profit on the case. Jimb.
here at the market it's cheaper to buy spices from the Indian food stall who sell them in pound bags, for the same price as a little schwartz bottle
t600x362.jpg
however for me on my own it doesn't pay me to buy the bags I don't use the spices nearly enough to warrant it.. so mine are all on a turntable similar to this

Our spices are ALL ‘fresh.’ When we moved I threw most of my spices out due to age. I’d had some that were dozens of years old. Now I make sure our species are used and circulated. Now I also usually purchase bagged herbs and spices so I can top up the spices myself. If stuff isn’t getting used and is old, I chuck it. I put too much time and effort into food prep and cooking to ruin it with faulty ingredients.

I don't think spices lose taste as fast as the spice industry wants us to believe, on the conditions that the containers are closed and they're not stored in extreme heat or sunlight.

As I've posted before Pensey's is my primary source and they simply deliver a high quality at a reasonable price. Spices can be dirty and filthy based on how they're treated after harvest so keep that in mind when price buying.

I have 8oz of bay leaves that are best before 3/2023, but they're factory sealed in 4oz bags, they'll be good for years.

We still have a bunch of McCormick's in metal containers...
But we make a bunch of our own stuff from the garden every year.... Last year I crushed about a lb of garlic and my hands smelled for a week.
I try very hard not to get crushed garlic on my hands. The garlic oils seep into the skins pores and can stink for a day or two. I can’t imagine crushing a pound. Did mosquitos stay away from you too. ?

I don't think spices lose taste as fast as the spice industry wants us to believe, on the conditions that the containers are closed and they're not stored in extreme heat or sunlight.

As I've posted before Pensey's is my primary source and they simply deliver a high quality at a reasonable price. Spices can be dirty and filthy based on how they're treated after harvest so keep that in mind when price buying.

I have 8oz of bay leaves that are best before 3/2023, but they're factory sealed in 4oz bags, they'll be good for years.
For the most part, expiry dates are a lot sooner than they need to be. It’s probably to insure themselves from liability

There are 8 spices I use every.single.day. and they are all within use by date.
The ketchup and mustard in the frig ... not so much
I keep ketchup and mustard in the fridge too... I rarely use ketchup..I mean rarely..but I keep it in there for months...it seems to never go off.. the mustard is Djon grain mustard, very strong.. I use that much more often, but still not great deal because it's used for cooking rather than as a condiment.. it's safe opened in the fridge for about 18 months... altho' when it goes off it won't make you sick but it doesn't taste good

I keep ketchup and mustard in the fridge too... I rarely use ketchup..I mean rarely..but I keep it in there for months...it seems to never go off.. the mustard is Djon grain mustard, very strong.. I use that much more often, but still not great deal because it's used for cooking rather than as a condiment.. it's safe opened in the fridge for about 18 months... altho' when it goes off it won't make you sick but it doesn't taste good

I had a midnight snack of a hotdog last night.
Bottle of Plochman's yellow mustard best by date 03/02/2023
It tasted just fine. Didn't look at the forlorn bottle of ketchup ... don't put ketchup on a hotdog.

There are 8 spices I use every.single.day.
Care to share what they are.

I rarely use ketchup..I mean rarely..but I keep it in there for months...it seems to never go off..
I thought that too. We had family here and some wanted ketchup and DiL said that brand sure tasted different than Heinz. Then a couple more tasted it and said it tasted odd. I checked the expiry date and immediately got out the Heinz. I was about as red as the ketchup. I don’t eat ketchup on anything

I try very hard not to get crushed garlic on my hands. The garlic oils seep into the skins pores and can stink for a day or two. I can’t imagine crushing a pound. Did mosquitos stay away from you too. ?

There's supposed to be remedy for that .... rub your hands under cold running water and then rub them around your stainless steel sink ...
I've tried. Can't say it worked for me though

Care to share what they are.

I thought that too. We had family here and some wanted ketchup and DiL said that brand sure tasted different than Heinz. Then a couple more tasted it and said it tasted odd. I checked the expiry date and immediately got out the Heinz. I was about as red as the ketchup. I don’t eat ketchup on anything
since I was a young child I've really only ever had Heinz ketchup, it's always been looked on as the premium brand over all others... lately it's gone up severely in price, and as I so rarely use it, I thought I may as well try another brand... so I got Aldi's..which is abut a quarter of the price.. and it's actually much nicer than Heinz..I was shocked..

so I did a little research and there had been a blind taste test survey comparing about 6 different best selling brands, and Heinz came last and Aldi came out first.. and everyone in the taste test said they never ate anything other than Heinz..so they were all as surprised as me

When I open spices, I note the date on the package. I have a lot of spices. Seeing my pantry, it’s hard to imagine that I don’t have everything. Inevitably the recipe always seems to have something I have to go to the store for.

There's supposed to be remedy for that .... rub your hands under cold running water and then rub them around your stainless steel sink ...
I've tried. Can't say it worked for me though
You’re kidding! I’ll try it. I can usually smell it once in the shower, before the water goes on.
I’ll give it a try, thanks.

Back