How old you think you are?

I posted this two years ago. I kept running into people who were "a young 62", "or a young 57". No, you're not You are 62, and you are 57. Putting "young" in front of your age, does not make you any younger. And it is a vain attempt to deny your age. Being 62,72, ,82, 92, or 103 does not mean you are on life support. You are not a young 62, you are 62, and you should be able to accept the true age you are.

I'm 79, but most days I feel like I'm still in my 40's....unless I try to do more "chores" than I should, and the old body reminds me to slow down.

Physically, I am my calendar age, but fairly well preserved, although high maintenance. In my mind I'm mid-forties and trying to retain a youthful perspective. I hang around mostly people who are younger, so that makes me feel a bit younger; I hope they don't feel a bit older by being around me. 🤔 When I go to the senior center in town I'm definitely the youngest there, it's so much different being in a group of older people.

@Nathan what you said really resonates with me.

I’m pushing 70. I tend to hang out with younger folks in part because I’m friends with a very diverse crowd, many of whom are younger than me, but also because I can relate more and have more in common with the younger folks.

I’m still working, I’m physically active, have no health complaints beyond a touch of arthritis, my style of dress tends towards a less mature look, I dye my hair funky colors, I have tattoos etc…all of which pretty much all of my friends my age or older just cannot relate to. They’re retired, have health/mobility issues, are overweight by a lot more than my 7 pounds I need to lose, think my ink is scandalous etc.

I think we gravitate towards folks with whom we have things in common, no matter what age we are.

On the inside, I feel like myself, no specific age, but I am 65 on the outside. I tell the younger ones I know (20s and 40s) that when people get older, they are still the same person they always were. I don't mean they haven't changed throughout their lives, because many certainly do. I mean, see the person, not plunk them down into the senior citizen category without at least trying to get to know them. It is valuable to me to have friends in a lot of age ranges. I learn a lot from them, especially from one guy who spent 20 years on the trading floor - I like talking about investing with him. The others, I mainly get to experience different points of view, some of which I had when I was their age and solving the problems of the world seemed easier, and sometimes obvious. All these years the same problems exist, the younger ones are always surprised. And I think that they must think that older people lived their lives with their heads stuck in the sand. The world is just is complex as it always was.

I would feel more comfortable in a younger body. Mostly I don't like not being able to do things with the same speed and stamina I used to have. I don't like having health problems, but I'm used to it since I was 46 and had emergency double bypass surgery. I don't like thinking about getting another dog some day, and realizing I had better know ahead of time and for sure, that my daughter will take it when I die.

I don't like that some of my favorite authors have died, most from old age. I was reading a list of 100 most popular authors in the genres I like (on the Fantastic Fiction website), and I knew that some on the list had died, two after writing only one really great book. So I've been trying new authors so I don't get stuck with nothing but re-reads.

I feel old just when my body doesn't work the way it used to. I don't want to live forever, but I sure wouldn't mind reverting to my younger body with me in it, a 25 year old body. I would do a lot of things differently because I would still be like I am now with many of my mistakes learned from.

Last edited:
I feel good most of the time, but now when I drink, I sleep like 12 hours and then nap for another two or three hours. So there's that. Plus, my right knee doesn't seem to want to work sometimes and it gives out or hurts like hell.

So how old do I think I am (from the OP)? I feel 64.

Back