How privileged do you think you are?

I was looking it up for myself because I wanted to see if I was misapplying it. I do not think I did and wanted to share the definition I used for that contention.

I think that a problem needs to be well defined before it can be addressed. I find that privilege is one problem that we need to define to address it to create a more fair and equitable society.

Do you agree that as a society the US in general does not view black people as positively as it does white people?

I apologize if something I wrote made you think that I was calling you a racist. If you can tell me what I wrote that made you think that I'll make sure I don't do something similar in the future. I do not think that you are a racist.

I still do contend that although being white does not make someone privileged, being white does give one a privilege in our US society that is not afforded blacks. There may be areas of the country where such a privilege does not exist and whites and blacks are viewed equally by the society of that area in general. However I am not aware of any such places and would love to learn about them if you know of any.

I see this as a problem and therefore don't think it's just a label. To me it isn't so much a term to divide people as it is a way to frame a division that already exists that we should work on so that it goes away in the future.
I apologize for the misunderstanding; I did not think you were calling me a racist. I was trying to say that I equate the term "white privilege" with "racist" and all the other terminology that is supposed to make Caucasians apologetic for being themselves. I see no point in labeling people; there have always been the haves and the have-nots; some people have a harsh life and struggle from birth to death no matter what color they are. We need to stop labeling individuals and try to make this world a better place for ALL. All lives matter.

So how do you propose to remedy your white guilt? And what is your solution to the perceived inequity in society?

I don't feel at all guilty about my relative privilege as a white child growing up in Australia. What I feel is gratitude, and gratitude prompts me to make effort to ensure all children are offered the same opportunities. Where appropriate, I speak up for the disadvantaged regardless of colour or culture and I give my vote to the party or independent politician that I think will work for progressive policies that will allow poor and marginalised families in my country to have access to their fair share of this nation's bounty and opportunity. Sometimes it is rather hard to find what I am looking for but I have to vote and I make my choices with care.

Second rule of problem solving.
The first is to admit that there is a problem that needs to be solved.
Whilst I certainly agree, and liked your post, I do think there may always be a level beyond whch it may be hard to press, so far as achieving equality, or "equality of treatment", which is the more accurate term here. I say this simply because I believe, as human beings, we like to be surrounded to some extent, by people who look like ourselves, (I say this whilst more or less hating some of the white folks I come across! :( ).

The third rule could be don't give up searching for a solution even before you begin to look for one.

Let me propose an analogy. In every class of ungraded students I have found some that are gifted in every way - bright kids from middle class families with financial and social resources that give them every opportunity to succeed in life. The world is their oyster but even so, some of these throw away their opportunities and become hippies, drunks or layabouts. That is their choice.

In the same class there will also be equally bright students whose parents are refugees who arrived here with little more than what they stood up in. It is not their fault that they have little money and some of the parents are working every hour they can to be able keep their children at school so that they can go to university. These students are among the hardest working and strive to excel, conscious of the obligation to meet their parents' expectations.

Then there are some highly intelligent kids who face enormous barriers. Their families are disfunctional, with domestic violence and alcoholism creating chaos. Poverty sometimes mean that the family changes address and schools frequently and schooling is fragmented. Sometimes these kids ( and I am not speaking metaphorically) run away from home and if lucky end up in a youth refuge rather than becoming homeless on the streets. I can think of a couple of my students for whom this was their reality. I do know that both of them were helped by kind individuals who guided them to a better future.

Perhaps you are aware of the parable of the starfish stranded on the beach. A multitude of starfish had been washed onto a beach and were slowly drying out in the hot sun. A man noticed a boy picking them up and hurling out into the water with all of his might. The man asked him why he was bothering because there were so many starfish and his efforts could make little difference. The boy picked up another starfish and said, "It makes a difference to this one" and he threw it as far as he could.

When it comes to overcoming disadvantage, whatever the cause, it sometimes boils down to one to one relationships - teacher and student, neighbour to neighbour, mentor to apprentice etc. In addition it requires social programs - scholarships, secure housing, affordable health care, job training and a fair rate of pay. If the relationships are not an option we can all speak up for the social programs. This is in everyone's self interest because a fair society where people are not facing barriers that are outside their control is a much better society for all of us. Peace is a consequence of justice and fairness.

Sorry for the waffle but if you wanted a two sentence answer, you asked the wrong person. And I note that you didn't actually ask a question directly but I answered an implied one.

I admit that there is a problem.

IMO we only seem to make the problems larger and more difficult when we insist on slicing and dicing everything that happens in our day to day lives along racial lines.

When will we get to the point in our society where we can discuss ways to solve our common problems and improve the lives of all Americans.

Well, bless your heart. I think the term "white privilege" is a term made up to make white people feel guilty just for existing. Racists come in all colors. Is it privilege to pay attention in school, work hard, show up on time, wait til you're married to have a child, stay married, save your money and live within your income? I prefer to think of it as diligence and hard work. And making good decisions. Available to everyone.

Sorry for the waffle
This is wunna the best posts I've ever read on SF.
...and I do like waffles

This.....was me;
Sometimes these kids ( and I am not speaking metaphorically) run away from home and if lucky end up in a youth refuge rather than becoming homeless on the streets. I can think of a couple of my students for whom this was their reality. I do know that both of them were helped by kind individuals who guided them to a better future.

Well, bless your heart. I think the term "white privilege" is a term made up to make white people feel guilty just for existing. Racists come in all colors. Is it privilege to pay attention in school, work hard, show up on time, wait til you're married to have a child, stay married, save your money and live within your income? I prefer to think of it as diligence and hard work. And making good decisions. Available to everyone.
I agree those are the routes to success for most people, but you shouldn't ignore the sense of entitlemen, that is almost bred into some white folks. Those who tend to assume they're better than you, and justify all most any kind of slimy behaviour shown towards you as a result, (there is discrimination outside of racism isn't there, "ageism" for one, we're all maybe becoming vulnerable to?). However, racism is in a whole different league in my opinion.

I agree those are the routes to success for most people, but you shouldn't ignore the sense of entitlemen, that is almost bred into some white folks. Those who tend to assume they're better than you, and justify all most any kind of slimy behaviour shown towards you as a result, (there is discrimination outside of racism isn't there, "ageism" for one, we're all maybe becoming vulnerable to?). However, racism is in a whole different league in my opinion.
Sorry Graham, but a sense of entitlement is not a "white" trait by a long shot. Entitlement comes in all colors. And yes, we are subject to discrimination as older people. We should have a riot or something.

Growing up was full of " always had what we needed, not what we wanted " If something was wanted, worked towards getting, chores was always part of our day, not always to get extra, but to be a help in our family, we were taught that at a very young age. The word "privilege" is not a word i use in my life, for the most part.....All my adult life, work to achieve, grateful is how i feel about a lot of life.

Sorry Graham, but a sense of entitlement is not a "white" trait by a long shot. Entitlement comes in all colors. And yes, we are subject to discrimination as older people. We should have a riot or something.
You're right of course, but I doubt I'm alone in thinking's its particularly ingrained in rather too many white folks I seem to come across, (the ones who'd rather stab someone in the back than advance themselves through straight dealing!). Mentioning old folks rioting, I went on a march around central London with the Father 4 Justice campaign group, which was brilliantly policed, so much so, when one of the blokes wanted to throw a bag of coloured flour towards Downing street, the police were able to stop him before it left his hand! Anyway, I happened to mention there was another march planned around London, to one of the policemen lining our route, organised by an old peoples group. He said, "Oh yes, the pensioners are the worst!", or some such quip! :giggle: .

I don't know about "privileged". Not a word I'd use.

In some ways I've been fortunate growing up, but in important ways, not.

Fortunate to have been instilled early with a sense of independence, faith, and was taught respect.

For the most part, I made my own way, many many mistakes, but I survived.

No, not privileged. I've worked hard, looked after my money, I'm happily married and had a good career with plenty of travel. That's not privilege , it is the rewards for my own efforts. However it is worth while remembering the song....

You're gonna take sick and die one of these days
All the medicine you can buy
All the doctors you can hire
You're gonna take sick and die one of these days.

Well, Graham, you live in the UK where there is a definite class system. Yes, there's a bit of one here as well, but not as entrenched, I think. I think Hollywood folk of whatever color think they are entitled -- just look at Lori Laughlin. But I hang with regular folks, good folks, hard-working folks, who don't hold with that.

I apologize for the misunderstanding; I did not think you were calling me a racist. I was trying to say that I equate the term "white privilege" with "racist" and all the other terminology that is supposed to make Caucasians apologetic for being themselves. I see no point in labeling people; there have always been the haves and the have-nots; some people have a harsh life and struggle from birth to death no matter what color they are. We need to stop labeling individuals and try to make this world a better place for ALL. All lives matter.

So how do you propose to remedy your white guilt? And what is your solution to the perceived inequity in society?

Thank you for the clarification, that makes sense.

You and I see a discussion of privilege in different ways. I'm not a big fan of the term white privilege because it is a subset of privilege in general. To me the point of talking about privilege is about raising awareness of different life experiences and pointing out that some of the things that people take for granted aren't universally experienced.

I don't think that anyone has to be apologetic for being white, or rich or gifted in some way. I think it is great when people can see that their situation and experience can make their lives very different for people who don't have one or more of their advantages. Someone can feel compassion and understanding without having to be apologetic.

I agree that people of all races can and do have harsh lives sometimes and struggle their entire lives. However it's also true that if you look at the percentages of people who have such lives for each race one can clearly see that some races experience higher percentages of people with more difficult lives than others.

Ideally we can find a way to reduce the number of people who, through no fault of their own, have difficult lives. But as you said there have always been haves and have nots and I also suspect there will continue to be such a dichotomy in our societies.

I do not feel guilty that I'm white, I'm just aware that it has contributed to me having an easier life than non-whites who have similar backgrounds.

For me the first step towards a more equitable society is getting more people to agree with and understand how privileges can give some people advantages over others and try not to be someone who contributes to those advantages by making sure we keep our biases in check when making decisions between different people.

Other than that I look to experts in measuring social equity to show us which societies which have the highest equity so that we can potentially learn from them.

I never thought of it as such but if a circumstance of birth can make one privileged, I most certainly was. My birth in 1933 meant I reached maturity in the early 1950s. It was a time of prosperity in America and anyone who was reasonably intelligent and willing to work hard, make sacrifices and spend wisely could be successful. Being white did help but that too was a circumstance of birth.

asp3 So you live in California.... I live on the other side of the Country....We weren't poor but not rich....Mom and Dad had it very hard....
They got married and lived in a little apartment....Then my brother came along....Dad was in the National Guard....He was supposed to go
over seas....They wouldn't let him go, Dad only had one eye.... and when he was a baby he came down with the measles....Grandma had
10 kids....Dad was the first boy....When I was born, Dad became the Armorer to take care of the building....He was a little guy....He was
a light boxer....He won some and lost some....He was a tough guy....The greatest man you would ever meet...He always was my hero...
Mom and Dad had another child...My brother, I was 6 years old when he came to us....
Mom was a seamstress from NYC....She was always sewing on her machine in her bedroom....She mostly fixed the National Guard fatigues...
And sowed the patches for their shirts....Mom made my clothes....of course I didn't like it, but I had no choice....Sometimes I was embarassed
when I didn't have clothes that some of the girls had....
My dad also was a painter, of homes.....with a car that had the wood on the sides of the car....and ladders on top of the car...
I might of told this at one time here....
So going forward....My Mom and Dad perservered….They both only went to the 8th grade....Mom worked at home, Dad worked everywhere
he can provide for us kids.....
When I got married Mom and Dad gave us a party....Dad was doing well by that time...But not a Millionaire....
So, to make this shorter....My Mom and Dad didn't ask for anything from there parents, of course they were poor....j
After
I got married, husband didn't go to college, but he made a great income....He took homework after he came
home from work and learned the whole system....of the first computer's....He worked his way up and made a great career...for
our family....without a College degree....We sent our 2 kids to college,... They both are married and have kids now and their
kids are also going to college....

I don't need telling here how rich you are.....It's degrading....

I never thought of it as such but if a circumstance of birth can make one privileged, I most certainly was. My birth in 1933 meant I reached maturity in the early 1950s. It was a time of prosperity in America and anyone who was reasonably intelligent and willing to work hard, make sacrifices and spend wisely could be successful. Being white did help but that too was a circumstance of birth.

This is part of what people refer to in America when they refer to 'white privilege.' The 50s in America was NOT universally a place where a person willing to work hard could be successful. I live in the South and can tell you that black people in the South did not have the opportunities for prosperity that you had in the 50s.

I don't need telling here how rich you are.....It's degrading....

Thank you for sharing your family's story and giving me your perspective. Your parents and grandparents sound wonderful.

I'm sorry that my post was degrading, that was not my intent. I'm also sorry that my post came across as telling folks how rich I am.

I wanted to start a discussion about privilege and my words have obviously offended some people.

I don't know the racial make up for the Senior Forum, but I assume it's predominantly Caucasian. And since we are all typing away on computers, we have a roof over them, electricity to power them, and food to feed us. All in all, most of us have pretty secure lives. Maybe, not wealthy lives. But what if we weren't white, what if the 1,001 things that enabled us to have such a live didn't happen. So are some whites more privileged than others. When the Titanic sunk, was it privilege if you were in the life boat, or left on deck? Did the size of your bank account matter? While it's nice to say that anyone can make it, would asp3's life be identical, if he was born to a17 year old mother, who was a prostitute, and addicted to crack?

I never considered myself to be privileged because of my race. I was raised to be honest, respectful, and responsible. Life went pretty smoothy until I hit my late teens. Then the death of my fiance woke me up to reality. Follow that with a marriage I only stayed in for four months because of abuse and I didn't feel very privileged. But then, that was followed by a good marriage that lasted almost 50 years before he recently passed away. Now I'm back to wondering what is in store for me next. Perhaps 'privilege' is fleeting. It comes and goes.

I don't know the racial make up for the Senior Forum, but I assume it's predominantly Caucasian. And since we are all typing away on computers, we have a roof over them, electricity to power them, and food to feed us. All in all, most of us have pretty secure lives. Maybe, not wealthy lives. But what if we weren't white, what if the 1,001 things that enabled us to have such a live didn't happen. So are some whites more privileged than others. When the Titanic sunk, was it privilege if you were in the life boat, or left on deck? Did the size of your bank account matter? While it's nice to say that anyone can make it, would asp3's life be identical, if he was born to a17 year old mother, who was a prostitute, and addicted to crack?
And my brother was not normal....So, we all have something in our family....No, some white people are not privileged …..
We were never privileged.....We persevered....That's a different story...I can give you more stories, but most of them are dead!!

This is part of what people refer to in America when they refer to 'white privilege.' The 50s in America was NOT universally a place where a person willing to work hard could be successful. I live in the South and can tell you that black people in the South did not have the opportunities for prosperity that you had in the 50s.

AnnieA, I too lived in the South and was - and still am - very much aware of the inequities that existed then and even still now.

My answer was to the original question for this thread which was "How privileged do you think you are?" I didn't try to read anything into the question other than what it asked. If the intent of the thread was to open a dialogue about the racial issues that have existed in this country since its beginning, I think the OP should have made that clear. I was merely giving my simple answer to the question. I apologize if it offended.

No, not privileged. I've worked hard, looked after my money, I'm happily married and had a good career with plenty of travel. That's not privilege , it is the rewards for my own efforts. However it is worth while remembering the song....

All the medicine you can buy
All the doctors you can hire
You're gonna take sick and die one of these days.

Chilling song, but relevant to each and every one of us, (who wrote, or sang it, can you tell us?). :( .

Back