How wealthy are you.....really?

So AS what did your sister end up doing in the end to fill her time?

She reads, bought a new sewing machine that embroiders and has fun with that, she has 3 kids and 5 grandkids who all live within 20 miles, so occasional babysitting, she lunches with other retired ladies, spends time with family and extended family, goes to plays, goes to yoga, fitness classes, shopping, etc. She also has us stay at her house 2 weeks a year, and this time we're also going to New England. She spends a month here, usually every other year.

Sounds like she's having a Ball...I was interested because you said she wasn't into crafts or anything ( like me)..and sewing is definitely something I wouldn't have the patience to do, nor have I any Grandchildren...

Btw Young Mistress of the typo I presume you meant she lunches WITH other retirees.. :D

I really need to cultivate your approach towards life, Jim. I feel acutely guilty if I'm not pursuing some worthwhile endeavor.

I guess Josh...it all comes down to definitions. Is feeding dozens of species of birds, sitting and chatting with a neighbor, watching water rush through a creek, lying back in the warm sunshine and "thinking", Playing recordings of old time radio shows to nursing home residents, tending the citrus trees and many other "little things" worthwhile? If so, I am doing them.

Sounds like she's having a Ball...I was interested because you said she wasn't into crafts or anything ( like me)..and sewing is definitely something I wouldn't have the patience to do, nor have I any Grandchildren...

Btw Young Mistress of the typo I presume you meant she lunches WITH other retirees.. :D

Haha! I like that title 'mistress of the typos'! Got to proofread. ;)

I have plenty to do, even with grandchildren being 4,000 miles away. I don't do crafts either.

I guess Josh...it all comes down to definitions. Is feeding dozens of species of birds, sitting and chatting with a neighbor, watching water rush through a creek, lying back in the warm sunshine and "thinking", Playing recordings of old time radio shows to nursing home residents, tending the citrus trees and many other "little things" worthwhile? If so, I am doing them.

Jim, you seem to engage in plenty of worthwhile endeavors, what's missing in your life is the guilt that's endemic in mine. I also suspect you're a lot better organized than moi.

Josiah I have to say I'm similar to you..I do feel guilty if I'm not doing something. It's hard at the moment because I've got time off work while I wait for the back surgery and I can think of a zillion things I could be doing, and even tho' I can't do them it doesn't stop me feeling absolute guilt that I haven't achieved any of them particularly as I have the time..but just not the ability currently..

Josh, I am not organized. We are together there. I guess one could say I am lazy. I just enjoy not waiting for orders from someone or giving them to others. I enjoy, letting life happen.

Holly, Bless you darling, you just need to learn to be idol. It is easy if you try. Read something you want to read while enjoying a beautiful day outside, breathe......

Back