Hurricane Ian headed toward the West Coast of Florida

Great question. Due to hurricanes and flooding, many years ago State Farm dropped my parents' policy so there was an organization started that provided homeowners' insurance at higher rates. They took that. I don't know if they are still active. I was lucky enough to stay with State Farm because I'd lived in South Florida much longer. And we all lived 25 miles from the coast. :oops:

I will only say that homeowners' insurance these days is super expensive for coastal areas. 5 insurance companies that provided homeowners' insurance have gone out of business, so there is less competition. I can only imagine what insurance will cost now.

https://nbc-2.com/news/2022/08/05/fifth-florida-home-insurance-company-goes-out-of-business/
Maybe 20 years ago or so, State Farm applied to the State of Florida for permission to get out of the home insurance business in the state. Florida said sure, but you also have to stop selling auto insurance, too.

That took care of that plan. They're still selling both kinds of insurance.

I wonder how much home owner's insurance is in Florida compared to other states with no hurricanes.
In my experience awful. Here is what it was for me, the last year I was there 2017 I think. This was for a waterfront house that had been flooded five times in hurricanes and classified as "Severe Repetitively flooded", not typical:

Flood Insurance $10,000 for only partial coverage but it was the most we could get.
Wind $2,500 never made a wind claim.
Regular Homeowners $2,000 did not cover wind or flood, never made a claim on this.

For a total of around $15,000, and we were told told to expect annual increases of 20% in the flood...

One of the reasons we sold out and left.

Last edited:
When my parents visited Florida regularly in the 50’s, it was a vastly different situation. Almost nothing above two stories. No luxurious homes, mostly small beach houses. As much as I enjoyed vacationing in the state for over 60 years, I never had any wish to live there. Same thing with the Lowcountry. I visit, enjoy, and come back to the foothills.

When my parents visited Florida regularly in the 50’s, it was a vastly different situation. Almost nothing above two stories. No luxurious homes, mostly small beach houses
I think we can thank our federal government for some of those changes. In the 50s flood insurance was not available. No one built in flood prone areas unless they could pay cash and accept the risks. No mortgages were available without insurance.

No private insurance companies could afford the risk of offering flood insurance. Still mostly can't.

Late 60s enter the government to fix things and the Federal Flood Insurance program was developed. It allowed people to build in very risky places and the government to accept the risk. I have to admit that I benefited from it, but if I were in charge I'd eliminate any government involvement in flood, or wind insurance.

Not the only problem of course, but a big part of it.

I don't have to pay flood insurance because of my elevation. But I do pay expensive "builders insurance" until I'm living in the house. USAA wont give anyone in 2 states home insurance unless they are living in the house...Florida and North Carolina....Grrr.

Checked on my house during one of the lulls in the hurricane bands and no problems except the workman's Porta-Potty blew over on it's side down by the street. A man stopped to take a photo of it...it will probably end up online with a funny meme lol. I was afraid to ask him why.

Meanwhile, 3 men at separate times stopped out front to ask if I was the owner and compliment the house. It was all about the house (darn...lol) and telling me I should get a generator, a golf cart, and grass with a sprinkler system in the front (it's just sand right now). Just then a big band of wind and rain came...so back to my daughter's I went.

I don't have to pay flood insurance because of my elevation.
That's good, but you might consider it anyway.

For houses above the flood elevation its much less expensive, I have purchased it for around $200 to $300 per year. Given where you are there is still some flood risk. The flood zones are based on a 100 year storm, and those do happen. And they are not always right. If I lived where you are I'd get it. I suggest you ask your agent what it would cost.

I had a cousin in Louisiana who was above the flood elevation. He was wiped out about 5 years ago, without flood insurance. He managed to rebuild and just this year got flooded again. It happens.

I have a good friend who lived in Chicago and couldn't take the winters and crime anymore. She and her husband moved to a golfing community near the coast of South Carolina. They had been looking to move to Naples. I sent her a text saying "aren't you glad you didn't move to Naples?", then I realized South Carolina is being hit by Hurricane Ivan. This storm is a monster!

3 men at separate times stopped out front to ask if I was the owner and compliment the house. It was all about the house (darn...lol) and telling me I should get a generator, a golf cart, and grass with a sprinkler system in the front (it's just sand right now). Just then a big band of wind and rain came...so back to my daughter's I went.
I am sure it is nice, and yes there are always more things to buy. A generator can be a good idea, losing power after storms isn't unusual. Problems are usually finding a place to keep it, maintaining it so it will work in a few years when you need it, and fueling it. If you don't have gas finding and storing the gasoline is a problem.

I found on the sand fertilizer can do more to green things up than water. Try just planting sea oats, they take nothing but maybe a little water for a few months after first planting. Or just enjoy the sand!

I envy you!

I found pictures online in the local "newspaper" for the area my BFF lives in. The pictures were of the street she lives on but not her block. The captions state that street was muddy and some of the condos had downed palm trees but the buildings along the street were all in tact. It seems they must've had a bit of flooding but nothing like the storm surges in other Florida locations. Since I still haven't heard from her, I feel a little bit more at ease. Another article from that same publication stated that all of her town and surrounding counties are without power and sketchy cell service though power is being restored slowly.

Restoring power after storms like this is often the biggest irritant to most people. We were once 2 months without it...

Hope your friend has it soon. Sounds like they are working pretty hard.
Rob...I don't know how you did it !! After Sandy, we were without power in our complex (and surrounding areas, I imagine) for 5 days. I couldn't take it anymore and wound up staying with my (future) DIL. It was a cold October and though I had things I could eat and even a way to heat (albeit slowly) stuff up, it was too cold to stay here at night. Unfortunately, our complex is not set up for generator use.

From what I'm seeing on the news, it looks like utter devastation for some of those Florida communities. They will have to be rebuilt from the ground up; there's nothing left but wreckage. The question is, should they be rebuilt at all? They are beautiful, yes, but does it make any sense to put a house, probably made of flimsy materials, right in the path of hurricanes that return every year, some not too bad, but some devastating. And many of those houses are not insured. How are those people going to live now? Can we expect the government to build emergency shelters for millions of people?

I have a feeling there will be lots of people moving away from those areas, maybe moving in with friends and relatives, at least for a while, having to enroll their kids in new schools, and losing all their possessions, not to mention their jobs. Their lives are in a state of wreckage.

A former Marine buddy had a double wide mobile home destroyed in Winter Haven during the hurricane. He’s really in a bad way with not having any insurance and he tells me he doesn’t have any money. There is no food or water on grocery store shelves as of yesterday. He texted me this morning that he now has electricity.

He’s asking for help, so I have decided to drive down tonight. It’s about a 12-13 hour drive. I would fly, but I am taking food and water with me. This guy is an alcoholic that’s been dry for the past 2 years. He texted 7 of us and I was the only person offering to help. I don’t have a family or any relatives in the area, so I have the time and I would not like to see him relapse over this. I am going to lie down at about 2 this afternoon and leave for Florida about 8.

A former Marine buddy had a double wide mobile home destroyed in Winter Haven during the hurricane. He’s really in a bad way with not having any insurance and he tells me he doesn’t have any money. There is no food or water on grocery store shelves as of yesterday. He texted me this morning that he now has electricity.

He’s asking for help, so I have decided to drive down tonight. It’s about a 12-13 hour drive. I would fly, but I am taking food and water with me. This guy is an alcoholic that’s been dry for the past 2 years. He texted 7 of us and I was the only person offering to help. I don’t have a family or any relatives in the area, so I have the time and I would not like to see him relapse over this. I am going to lie down at about 2 this afternoon and leave for Florida about 8.
I am proud of you.

@Been There

Your friend is very fortunate to have your help .. bless your big heart.
Safe travels to you.

Good for you!!

Where is your friend sleeping now? Will you have a place to stay when you get there? I suspect local hotels are quite full.

Is his home totally destroyed or is it repairable?

Be sure he gets registered with FEMA, if he has not already. They often do things like provide and/or pay for a hotel room for people in his situation. They are a PIA to deal with, but can give some help. They used to provide temporary trailers, but I am not sure that's the case any more.

You should consider taking a few gas cans, its possible the local gas stations are without power and not open. After Wilma we had to take cans of gas to my father for a few weeks. He mostly needed it to keep his generator running.

Winter Haven is far enough inland that local services may still be mostly available, hope so.

Good luck to you and your friend, he has a very good friend in you.

QUICK LINKS​

LOCAL RESOURCES​

SOCIAL MEDIA​

TRIBAL RESOURCES​

HOW TO HELP​

• Please do not self-deploy. If you want to volunteer as part of the Hurricane Ian recovery, visit Florida’s official volunteer portal at volunteerflorida.org to find volunteer opportunities.
  • Volunteer to help. There will be volunteer opportunities for months, often years, after the disaster. A list of agencies with volunteer opportunities can be found on National Voluntary Organizations Active in Disaster website.
  • Cash is the best donation. After a disaster, people always want to help, but It’s important to donate responsibly. When people support voluntary organizations with financial contributions, it helps ensure a steady flow of important services to the people in need after a disaster. You can donate at www.volunteerflorida.org/donatefdf or text DISASTER to 20222.
  • Identify what is needed. Before donating supplies connect with organizations working in the affected area to, how much is needed and when it is needed. Used clothing is never needed in a disaster area. Unwanted donations can overwhelm charities on the ground because they need to be received sorted.
  • Family and friend reunification. If you need assistance locating a missing friend or relative call the Red Cross at 800-733-2767 and provide as much detail as you can to assist us in potentially locating your missing loved one.

I have a long time friend who lives inland from Ft. Meyers ... today they are looking at very soggy ground, and uprooted trees all around, but their house is intact, minus electricity.
A few small things outside were left unharmed, like a bird feeder ..??? Hurricanes (and tornados) do some very strange things.

Last edited:
@Lara offers some great advice and lots of good resources.

However with respect to this one, your buddy may be better off with your help. Only you would know. I think the advice is more generally directed, they don't want too many people arriving without specific plans. I do know of a number of cases where the only useful help people got was from family and/or friends.
Please do not self-deploy.

Last edited:
That is so nice of you BeenThere but why doesn't your buddy call VA Services, Red Cross or Samaritan's purse, or Habitat for Humanity? I guess they're overwhelmed. I'm sure there's a hotline he can call for resources available. Try DisasterAssistance.gov
He’s been through the system (VA & AAA) and they have told him that they have done all they can to treat his alcoholism. As for help with getting back on his feet, he texted me saying that FEMA is overwhelmed and it will be days before they get to him. He needs help now. He is alone. He lost his family through being an alcoholic. I will be able to provide him with immediate help, by providing food, water and whatever else is needed. Hopefully, I can set him up in a hotel room for a month. Worse case scenario, I will bring him back home with me to crash for awhile until he can get back on his feet. I don’t turn my back on a fellow Marine.

Good for you!!

Where is your friend sleeping now? Will you have a place to stay when you get there? I suspect local hotels are quite full.

Is his home totally destroyed or is it repairable?

Be sure he gets registered with FEMA, if he has not already. They often do things like provide and/or pay for a hotel room for people in his situation. They are a PIA to deal with, but can give some help. They used to provide temporary trailers, but I am not sure that's the case any more.

You should consider taking a few gas cans, its possible the local gas stations are without power and not open. After Wilma we had to take cans of gas to my father for a few weeks. He mostly needed it to keep his generator running.

Winter Haven is far enough inland that local services may still be mostly available, hope so.

Good luck to you and your friend, he has a very good friend in you.
Jimmy Boy, his nickname, is sleeping at a neighbors. I told him to start searching for a hotel/motel room. I will try to take pictures and share them when I get home. His nickname was Jimmy Boy. He had JB previously signed onto his plane, but the Commandant thought it stood for Jim Beam, so we had to change the monicker and that’s how he became Jimmy Boy.

@Been There

Your friend is very fortunate to have your help .. bless your big heart.
Safe travels to you.
Thanks for all of your support. I know it may be difficult for some people to understand the loyalty the Marine Corps has to one another. It’s something that is repeated to us over and over again. We all like to think we have friends that would do anything for us in a time of an emergency, but just like in this case, JB texted 7 of us and I was the only one to reach out and let him know help is on the way. Two of the others had family events planned and the others didn’t reply. I am in a position that I can do this and am glad to do it. Although it is about duty, I do it willfully.

Back