I am back to walking for exercise.

A step-up from walking, if your knees can handle it, is a run-walk where you run but your feet stay very close to the ground. And you move your arms in motion, much like you were cross-country skiing. I used to jog about 3.5 miles every other day and then I ran into toe issues which affected my gait and then led to back issues, and pain. So I went to walking but then tried this new method of walk-run and I have not had a problem since! Since I stay almost as close to the ground as walking, I have not had knee or back issues except when other activities (like roofing) caused them. And it gives me a better workout, minute for minute, than even jogging so I only go about 2 1/4 miles now. The arm motion keeps me balanced and I am not using my toes to push off so much but rather the legs (quads). You can go as slow or fast as you wish with this. I like the fact that I can get a good workout in a little over a half hour.

Average is 2000. I guess that is considering the average stride of a person. As for walking we walk 5 days a week except if it's raining. I walk 3 miles a day my wife walks about 1/2 mile more. These 34 degree cold mornings aren't fun but then the 93 degree mornings at 6 a/m aren't fun either
Thank you! We swim year-round at a place with a heated outdoor pool. Getting out of the pool when it's 28 degrees or so is no fun either.

I'll try it. It can't hurt. It's available in canned form.
I wouldn't get it in canned form. It's been sitting in that can for months. I don't know if that lessens the effectiveness of the enzyme, but you can get pineapple in already diced form & it's much fresher. I learn to buy it whole & cut it myself; it's not difficult. And that core has the highest concentration of Bromelain. I put the core in my Vitamix.

I love walking ….it makes me feel so good…
this is the only exercise I can do now apart from my exercise bike …..
I miss my aerobics classes …..but , keep walking guys ……!!🏃‍♂️🏃

Just curious, how many steps are in a mile?
Problem is everyone's "steps" are different. My wife's iPhone counts steps (but not in a very clear way) and miles down to a tenth, but it doesn't equate the two ... and I'm not sure if it uses a GPS or steps to calculate distance. So, darned if I know. )-8

Problem is everyone's "steps" are different. My wife's iPhone counts steps (but not in a very clear way) and miles down to a tenth, but it doesn't equate the two ... and I'm not sure if it uses a GPS or steps to calculate distance. So, darned if I know. )-8
If you want to be accurate measure the stride /steps length. The average is 2 & 1/2 feet. A mile is 5280 feet. 2000 x 2.5 = 5000 ft. close enough.
Or you could measure a mile and see how long it takes you to walk a mile. A 20 minute mile or 60 minutes = 3 miles.

But if walking is for health & pleasure & distance doesn't matter, just being able to is great.

If you want to be accurate measure the stride /steps length. The average is 2 & 1/2 feet. A mile is 5280 feet. 2000 x 2.5 = 5000 ft. close enough.
Or you could measure a mile and see how long it takes you to walk a mile. A 20 minute mile or 60 minutes = 3 miles.

But if walking is for health & pleasure & distance doesn't matter, just being able to is great.

Thanks. I'm going to try to get my daughter to walk with me and about 45 minutes at a brisk pace sounds right.

My PCP said, I don't care how far or how fast you walk. It's all about time. If your walk 45 minutes every day that will satisfy me just keep the legs moving and the blood circulating. Been doing It for 7 years almost daily.

Last edited:
I try to walk everyday and swim every other day. However, I should mention that I have decided to avoid walking on dry sand at the beach as much as possible because my ankles always hurt after I do it.

I walk daily unless my back pain is especially bad the whole day. I usually go for a relatively short but brisk walk in the afternoon, and then me and Michelle go for a nice, long stroll in the evening.

Back