I dislike holidays!

Justme

I know I am weird, but I have never enjoyed holidays, although I have no problem with flying. Obviously I have taken many over the years, especially when our children were young, but if I never had a holiday again it wouldn't worry me. I usually visit my island home once a year, to visit my sister and other relatives. However as the daughter who has my husband to stay whilst I am away has other commitments at the time I normally fly out, I won't go away this year. Anyone else on the forum who dislikes holidays?

I dislike being out of my normal routines which are important to me, but then everyone is different. My youngest sister and her husband LOVE holidays and take several a year, usually very exotic ones. They particularly like cruises and favour the Arctic and Antarctic.

I am one of those strange people who likes everyday to be the same if possible. I like to do my own thing in my own space. Obviously I do my best to help out my children, and look after the grandchildren when necessary.

I liked the holidays when I was a kid, but they're just another day anymore. What I don't like about them is the excessive advertising for each one that starts months ahead on the TV, newspapers, stores, etc. Also don't care for all the extra people in stores, and traffic on the roads. I don't do any traveling on holidays, even by car.

Oh, I don't know ... cruise ships that run aground, cruise ships that become floating viral bombs, cruise ships that are attacked by pirates, airplanes that crash, airplanes that get hijacked, airplanes that are delayed, full cavity searches before you board those airplanes, lost luggage, train wrecks, dysentery, jet lag, bad food, bad water, surly natives ...

I know I am weird, but I have never enjoyed holidays, although I have no problem with flying. Obviously I have taken many over the years, especially when our children were young, but if I never had a holiday again it wouldn't worry me. I usually visit my island home once a year, to visit my sister and other relatives. However as the daughter who has my husband to stay whilst I am away has other commitments at the time I normally fly out, I won't go away this year. Anyone else on the forum who dislikes holidays?

Sometimes it's a problem of expectations not realized and people wind up feeling let down. And let's face it, you're out of your comfort zone so if you're the type that doesn't do well with that then forget it.

Since relocating to Ireland I feel like I'm always on a holiday essentially. I can go anywhere in this country and enjoy it as I love the land and culture so much.
I like the feeling of escape and exploration but not roughing it. Never did even when I was very young. I like my creature comforts but I also like a mild adventure and discovery.

When my boys were young, (12&14), we went camping along the Brazos river in the spring when the rains made for light rapids. That year the rains were heavy, so the rapids were running pretty fast. All of us rented 8 canoes, I was in the front of our canoe paddling my little butt off. We started at the top of the run, and by the time we hit the end of the run, every one of the canoes had flipped at least a couple of times, except our canoe. Of course everyone wanted to know how we made the run without tipping over even once. I answered truthfully, I can't swim!!:eek:nthego:

The word "holiday" has different meanings depending on where you live.

In some countries a holiday is simply a break from the routine; like a vacation.

When we speak of "The holidays" we mean Christmas. New Years, Presidents Day, Reverend DR. Martin Luther King Jr. Day etc'

When everything is closed for the day: no mail delivery, libraries are closed, all government offices etc. (Most stores remain open
though.)

SO, Which "holiday" are we talking about here ?

I just watched a public-broadcast documentary last night about a guy that went canoeing for a year on the Shannon and all the great scenery and wildlife he encountered - gorgeous stuff.

The River Shannon is in a beautiful area. We were just near there on a break. But they've had unprecidented weather there recently and in some areas the river overflowed and created havoc. The world's weather is changing and even Ireland which is usually so placid is feeling it.

I love to travel solo, with friends and family and always look forward to holidays/vacations. I've traveled by car, bus, plane, RVs, but my favorite is traveling by train. It brings back a lot of happy childhood memories when mom brought us to the province to visit her folks.

We use the word 'holiday' to mean either a vacation, Bank holiday, public holiday etc.. In fact, any time when you have a break from work or school. Many industrial areas used to have set times when factories would close for a summer holiday. The dates were often determined by the nature of the business. In Scotland we also have one day 'local' holidays where most local shops and small businesses close. Different towns have different days.

I have grown to love holidays more since I retired. I can go when and where I like - especially during term time!
This is what I am really missing now and I'm really looking forward to getting on the road again.

We rarely travel when everyone else is trying to get somewhere for a holiday. There is little sense in adding to the congestion, and we seem to have better choices if we go off season.

That said, there are a few specific things that I would like to see during a regular holiday: Boston on the 4th of July for one, or New Years in New York City (from a comfortable hotel room window). We did enjoy Washington DC fireworks on the 4th of July from the grassy mall.

I grew up in a small town, about 1000 people. Every Memorial Day, we had a parade that lasted probably about a half hour. I always waited anxiously for it to start, especially when the bands came through and played.

Back