I Grew Up Back When - Post Your Memories...

I did have some pleasant times with some of the Nun's. When I was in grade school if you got good marks you were allowed to miss school for a week and help clean the convent. I remember when I was in fourth grade and cleaning a nun's bedroom she came in with her bathrobe on and I finally got to see her hair. She had it in a long braid that went all the way down to her feet. She looked at me with a smile and asked me not to tell anyone that I had seen her hair.I never told my classmates. She was a very gentle person and the best teacher.
I'm glad that you had a pleasant memory of the nuns! The one who taught 7th grade took the time to visit our home when I was having some problems. They weren't all bad!

Great post. I get the message you were also stating between the lines. Just like you, when I was in elementary school, sex was tabu to me. Just having to watch men and women kiss on TV was kind of nauseating. We never even saw a bra commercial. I have also seen a commercial on TV of a woman shaving around her private parts. I was shocked, to say the least.

Grandma would have a Baking Day on Sundays. We would go to the local football match. Most of the time it would be raining heavily, or snowing.
When we arrived home, the log fire was throwing out tremendous warmth. the house smelled of freshly baked treats.
Cakes, biscuits, scones, wine trifle, pavlovas. cheesecakes were some of the goodies we looked forward to on Sundays.

Last edited:
After Christmas there were no toys left in the store.
Girls weren't allowed to wear pants in school, even on freezing days. The little girls would wear pants under their dresses and take off the pants at the beginning of the day and only put them on again as the last bell rang.

Now that I'm on a roll..............girls weren't allowed in two of the three top NYC high schools. The third was equal genderized in 1949. This was under discussion at Mother's Day Brunch yesterday. Also, in the CUNY (City University of New York) system, to get in a boy needed an average of 88 and the girls, 93 because it was assumed the girl was only there for her MRS degree.

Grandma would have a Baking Day on Sundays. We would go to the local football match. Most of the time it would be raining heavily, or snowing.
When we arrived home, the log fire was throwing out tremendous warmth. the house smelled of freshly baked treats.
Cakes, biscuits, scones, wine trifle, pavlovas. cheesecakes were some of the goodies we looked forward to on Sundays.
Sunday was a miserable day. As totally non-thinking Presbyterians, it was a case of "Remember the sabbath day ... etc.. " No work, no noise, no drying clothes, dragged off to the kirk for a bit of fire and brimstone. I hated Sundays. The only relief was that the golf club bar was open - but that's when I was older and rejected religion.

On that note, do you know about "Sunday sticks"? These were walking sticks shaped like golf clubs, so that golfers could have a few practice shots on Sunday without anyone noticing.

”And I see this WE ARE A GENERATION THAT WILL NEVER COME BACK. A generation that went to school and walked back. A generation that did their homework alone to get out asap to play in the street. A generation that spent all their free time on the street. A generation that played hide and seek when dark. A generation that made mud cakes. A generation that collected sports cards. A generation that found, washed and sold empty coke bottles to the local grocery store for 5 cents each. A generation that made paper toys with their bare hands. A generation who bought vinyl albums to play on record players. A generation that collected photos and albums of clippings. A generation that played board games and cards on rainy days. A generation whose TV went off at midnight after playing the National Anthem. A generation that had parents who were there. A generation that laughed under the covers in bed so parents didn't know we were still awake. A generation that is passing and unfortunately will never return!!...”
You described my life 100% ! Oh, the memories this brought back. I feel really sorry for the kids growing up now.

Sunday was a miserable day. As totally non-thinking Presbyterians, it was a case of "Remember the sabbath day ... etc.. " No work, no noise, no drying clothes, dragged off to the kirk for a bit of fire and brimstone. I hated Sundays. The only relief was that the golf club bar was open - but that's when I was older and rejected religion.

On that note, do you know about "Sunday sticks"? These were walking sticks shaped like golf clubs, so that golfers could have a few practice shots on Sunday without anyone noticing.
Those "Days of the Sabbath" sound truly horrendous.
I am so glad my parents never had anything to do with religion.
Though my Grandmother -who raised us - was slightly religious, she never let it flow over into the family as a whole.
Early on, when she first came to us, she did make us children go to church but gave up very quickly on that idea when we showed zero interest and probably had tantrums.

After Christmas there were no toys left in the store.
Girls weren't allowed to wear pants in school, even on freezing days. The little girls would wear pants under their dresses and take off the pants at the beginning of the day and only put them on again as the last bell rang.

Oh I remember that- girls required to wear dresses.

Your post also brought to mind shortly before the government eliminated dress codes, the principal threatened to expel a boy in the senior class because the boy's hair was just long enough to touch the top of his collar..
but shortly after the dress code was eliminated, the principal grew HIS hair longer than the student's had been!!

Back