I have lost sleep over this....

The question is, "Would it help those children to have this information or would it hurt them?" If it would hurt them then shred that letter and don't give it another thought. I would lose more sleep over telling them and seeing it hurt them in so many ways. I would find comfort in knowing I protected them.
If the phrase "First do no harm" is to mean anything, it is that we think about it and do the least harmful thing. :unsure:

Last edited:
Burn the letter. Forget it!
You don't want to cause pain to the children. (now in their 40's)
I wouldn't even confront her. Just let it go!
I had a similar decision about telling truths about my ex-husband to my children.
They things i could have told them would have hurt them deeply, but they were TRUE!
I chose to say nothing!
Years have passed and I'm glad about my decision.
There is enough pain in the world.

Forget the past. Forgive everyone who hurt you in the past. Bless them and pray for them because they need these blessings more than anyone!
I should add, IMO!

Under no circumstances should you discuss this letter with her. She was unstable and conniving then, you have no reason to think she may have changed. If you choose to keep the letter, reseal it with the reasons for your decisions inside it. If you have a safe deposit box, keep it there to be forgotten. When she dies, destroy the letter.

I would never show them the letter and I would destroy it. More than likely she propably gave the same letter to someone else to make sure her family saw it,since she no longer speaks to you. That would also be a problem for the other person to decide what to do. Hopefully if she did send it to someone else they would destroy it too.

In this day and age I think the children would pick up on things a lot quicker and easier than decades ago simply because these topics are more openly discussed and more information available.

Back