I Like Mysteries, Myths, and Legends

Bretrick

What exactly is Deja Vu?
Sure, we can say it is a French word meaning, "Already Seen".
That feeling of having experienced a specific set of circumstances before.
Most of us have experienced it at one point or another.
70 out of 100 people say they have had an experience of the feeling of Deja Vu.
Scientists are unable to come up with a plausible explanation.
Theories have been bandied about, an increase in Dopamine may lead to Deja Vu, perceptions.
I had a very acute experience of Perceived Deja Vu when in 1990 I moved from Tasmania to Western Australia, a distance of 2,500 miles.
One day I visited Kalgoorlie, a mining town, 370 miles east of Perth.
I went there with a friend who had grown up in Western Australia, we visited his Elderly Grandparents who were born and bred there.
They lived in a 100 + year old house all their married life.
As I entered this house a feeling of trepidation came over me. We sat down for coffee and homemade scones and in the course of conversation I mentioned my feeling upon entering the house to the Grandmother.
Her reaction was to look at me askance so I never pursued the topic.
I went to use the toilet and on my way back I passed a room of which the walls were lined with books.
I entered the room and was overcome with such a powerful sense of Deja Vu that I had a bout of vertigo and had to sit down on the floor.
In fact, I fell asleep leaning against the wall and was woken by a slightly miffed Grandmother.
The feeling I had was that I had definitely been in that room before.
Which was impossible because it was my first visit to Kalgoorlie having lived my whole life up to that point in Tasmania.
The rest of my time in that house (2 days, we slept in a caravan) was uneventful, though I stayed away from that room out of respect for the owners.
Who has had a similar experience/s?

I think we have all had flashes of Deja vu.

One memorable occurrence for me was forty years ago when some newly married friends of mine moved into their first home. I helped them move in and as soon as I walked into the house I felt like I was home. It was a century home and I just couldn't get over how familiar it felt to me though I know I had never been there before. The couple are now divorced but my buddy kept the house, everytime I am there I have to walk around and touch everything, the mantel, the stone work, trim work, fireplace, it's like hugging an old friend.

As I recall most of these events have come and gone rather quickly for me. I have a theory that we experience something, it gets a snapshot and is tucked away somewhere unknown and a split second later it brought to the surface of our attention. We don't know we "have been there before", 1/100th of a second ago. :)

Back