I love baseball

I couldn't have written a better ending to a World Series with these two team:

Astros lost in an a$$-handing blowout at home.
Atlanta, who had the better team, won handily.
Atlanta fans - among the most obnoxious in baseball with their racist chop chant - were denied the opportunity to see their team win the championship at home.

Really? You can't see why Native Americans would find these names and the chop offensive? You either have an extreme lack of empathy and social awareness - not to mention American history, or are deliberately obtuse.

That Washington couldn't come up with a more interesting, creative name for their team the "Washington Football Club" can't be pinned on those behind ditching the highly racist "Redskins."

One day the Atlanta Braves will be forced to discard their racist ways. In the meantime most of the rest of the country will continue to shake our heads in disgust at their persistent clinging to ugly, hurtful stereotypes.

When people know better they should do better.

I think it's insane that Washington doesn't adopt the name of their long-since-departed baseball team and call their football team the Washington Senators. I grew up outside Washington and always thought it was a great name for a team, baseball or football.

I'm sort of ok with the name "Braves" (with the understanding that I could be wrong) but clearly the chop has to go. It's offensive, but it's also stupid.

Just wondering, do people of Scandinavian ancestry take offense at the name Minnesota Vikings? Sounds like cultural appropriation to me. Same thing with teams named Spartans or Trojans. Just because those people lived a long time ago doesn't mean that their descendants can't take offense.

Team names you'll never see: Huns, Mongols, Goths, Vandals.

When I was in Jr Highschool in Florida our coach once got a few of the Yankees on Spring training to stop by and visit us. The visit was in the bowling alley across the street from the school. They gave us some bowling lessons, so I can semi-legitimately claim to have been taught to bowl by Yogi Berra, actually all I got was a few minutes of his time, but it was great. Tom Tresh showed up as well, but Yogi was the one who talked to me.

For a number of years after that I was an avid Yankees fan, despite my natural Southern aversion to the name, LOL.

Yogi! One of my life long heroes:

The Superbowl is February 13th and our local University baseball team starts the season on the 18th.
Tickets will be hard to get since they are ranked in the top 5.

Getting ready to switch gears.

The local Triple-A team kicks off in April and we always enjoy going to those games.
I really don't have a MLB team, just watch whatever is on.

Still have time to get to a few more Nashville Predator games, as the season ends in April and the playoffs start in May.

Yea, we a Sports family. It's what we do.

Back