I love YouTube it's become my go-to entertainment

I've got it on TV, I've been watching London bus videos, and European village walks, and following their recommendations I've been traveling, seeing the world without leaving home. I've been learning street traffic rules, what strikes me is how narrow London streets are and how people just park however they want. It's a great time killer leading me into procrastination.

I've got it on TV, I've been watching London bus videos, and European village walks, and following their recommendations I've been traveling, seeing the world without leaving home. I've been learning street traffic rules, what strikes me is how narrow London streets are and how people just park however they want. It's a great time killer leading me into procrastination.
well people don't park however they want, because there are strict rules about parking.... everywhere ... but yes I agree about Youtube, I learn so much from it.. and as you say you can travel without leaving your house...

I agree to both of you. YouTube has plenty of good videos of cities, countries, nature, crime, horror, and all stuff you might imagine. But it also has a lot of trash. You only have to choose right, which seems for children and young people often being too difficult.

I agree to both of you. YouTube has plenty of good videos of cities, countries, nature, crime, horror, and all stuff you might imagine. But it also has a lot of trash. You only have to choose right, which seems for children and young people often being too difficult.
I hope that by now I can tell what's trash and what isn't, but someone's yuck is someone else's yum, so I stay with my yum. Right now I'm traveling America's backroads with another old retired dude it's great seeing so much,with so little effort.

I can almost find anything I can imagine on YouTube. I know that they are way more concerned about "bad" media content" being uploaded to their platform than anyone else. I upload content there. They check every little thing about it. I have had a copyright error over a picture I got from google that was not to be shown from another country. That is pretty tight scrutiny.

Have a YouTube account (won't point to herein) with impressive POV GoPro skiing videos though have considerable more video content on other subjects I will at some point be adding after I start 8k photographic exhibitions that is looking like as early as later this 2024. Amazing given how most people now carry around smartphones, I can point any strangers I meet in public to my Youtube account and greatly instantly impress them with my extraordinary skills. Thus end of the era of heretofore possible doubtful BS from someone sitting next to you at a bar bragging about whatever.

Arguably one of the most important tools on the Internet. Many have only discovered minor facets of what is available, often music, entertainment, and hobby subjects, but there is far more, especially under commercial, educational, and science. I've posted some of that on this board but obviously few here have those more mentally stimulating interests. Well not a few people are oriented towards trashy, even IMO disgusting subjects but then I'm Let it Be for those choosing to warp their beings so. In general, a lot of accounts have content created with only basic video skills, only the account person and their friends will ever have interest in but that is fine. It's for everyone.

For any of you anthropocentric Earth monkeys that still think we homo sapiens are at the center of some master plan in the Universe, the following with its inspiring music will change your minds. My all time favorite YouTube video.

Last edited:
Same here; I love YouTube.

But there's trouble a-brewin' on YouTube, which is owned by Google, and Google wants to get even richer off of it. So they're making some changes, including increased ads. Sure, you can have all of the ads blocked...if you pay Google...so they're also taking a bigger chunk of the money that YouTube video creators earn, while also forcing them to run more ads, and issuing strikes against some creators and taking their videos down, and even deleting entire channels for very ambiguous reasons.

So, a lot of YouTube creators are leaving the platform. And it seems to me that Google wants certain creators to leave. It seems to me that Google has a definite idea about what types of *entertainment* they want to keep on YouTube....for you, the viewer.

And after Google roots out all the YouTube creators they don't like (aren't making a ton of money), it's very likely The Company will eventually start charging a monthly fee to access the "new, more exciting" YouTube streaming channel; "All your favorites, All the time!" for just $14.99/mo, or whatever.

It's very concerning.

Is You Tube free, or parts of it. I landed on YT a few years ago but I found it so difficult to navigate I left and haven't been back.
I have Roku and Fire TV so I have plenty of other choices of programming to watch.

Is You Tube free, or parts of it. I landed on YT a few years ago but I found it so difficult to navigate I left and haven't been back.
I have Roku and Fire TV so I have plenty of other choices of programming to watch.
Currently, YouTube is free, but you can pay a fee for extras.

It is available on Roku. It may be available on Fire, too, idk. Search it on them, if you want.

Same here; I love YouTube.

But there's trouble a-brewin' on YouTube, which is owned by Google, and Google wants to get even richer off of it. So they're making some changes, including increased ads. Sure, you can have all of the ads blocked...if you pay Google...so they're also taking a bigger chunk of the money that YouTube video creators earn, while also forcing them to run more ads, and issuing strikes against some creators and taking their videos down, and even deleting entire channels for very ambiguous reasons.

So, a lot of YouTube creators are leaving the platform. And it seems to me that Google wants certain creators to leave. It seems to me that Google has a definite idea about what types of *entertainment* they want to keep on YouTube....for you, the viewer.

And after Google roots out all the YouTube creators they don't like (aren't making a ton of money), it's very likely The Company will eventually start charging a monthly fee to access the "new, more exciting" YouTube streaming channel; "All your favorites, All the time!" for just $14.99/mo, or whatever.

It's very concerning.
I've been waiting for YouTube to get on the band wagon and start charging. I watch it more then I watch TV, which I've cancelled. I subscribe to several channels on Youtube for quilting, cross stitching, etc. I even watch The New Detectives, Forensic Files, etc. while I'm in my sewing room in the afternoon. Sometimes, I find an audio book to listen to and the oldies music stations. At least on Youtube, you can skip an ad but you can't on Netflix, Prime or Tubi that I watch at night. Everybody's got their hand out for the almighty $$$$$.

I've been waiting for YouTube to get on the band wagon and start charging. I watch it more then I watch TV, which I've cancelled. I subscribe to several channels on Youtube for quilting, cross stitching, etc. I even watch The New Detectives, Forensic Files, etc. while I'm in my sewing room in the afternoon. Sometimes, I find an audio book to listen to and the oldies music stations. At least on Youtube, you can skip an ad but you can't on Netflix, Prime or Tubi that I watch at night. Everybody's got their hand out for the almighty $$$$$.
Fortunately, someone will copy the current YouTube formula. Some already have, there are other platforms very similar to YouTube, and a lot of YouTube creators have already switched, or are on YouTube plus a similar platform.

What's likely to happen is Google will do everything in its mighty power to kill those other platforms, get them over-regulated to make sure they fail. That's what a lot of big corporations do.

I do subscribe to YouTube. The subscription also includes Youtube music so it works well for me and I don't have to put up with all of the ads. I also find that Google's algorithms work pretty well. Most of the suggested videos are what I am interested in. A scary thing happened the other day though. I had lunch with a friend and she was wondering why Haiti has always been so chaotic while the Dominican Republic was rather stable. A couple of days later, one of the suggested videos was on that topic. I am hoping that when she brought up the subject that I quickly looked it up on my phone. That would explain it but I don't remember doing that.

Good to know we can skip through the ads...thx.

Back