I Need A Vacation, But Where?

Where haven't you been? Maybe list those places, and choose from the list.
Aaah, I see you've narrowed down your choices.

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the suggestions.
I think it will be either Spain or Trans-Siberian Railway.
I take a lot of time to decide. I am one of those people that has to do an exceeding amount of investigating before I make a decision on anything that either costs a lot of money or takes a lot of time to complete. A trip to me has to fulfill certain requirements, so that when it is over, I can say that I was satisfied. Believe me, I have been on some trips that was nothing more than a waste of time and money.
Someone suggested South America. I spent a week in Buenos Aires. I was there for 6 nights. For 5 of the 6 nights that I was there, my hotel room was broken into, searched and robbed. Luckily, all they got was an $800 camera and some clothing. But, get a load of this. I changed rooms each night and my room was still robbed while I was out in the evenings. Maybe it was just me and having bad luck?
Maybe it was an 'inside job'?

I think whatever you decide will be fantastic! One suggestion: Stay away from the touristy things. Go explore. See how the real people live. Go to old bars and smell the whiskey planked floors. Find the people with real character and stories. Really be aware of everything and emmerse yourself in the "feeling" of the places you visit. Wade in the streams. Sit on the iceberg. FISH! You are a very lucky man! Whereever you go, ENJOY yourself to the hilt!

I had spoken with the maid and the hotel manager at the Hilton. They say not. They think that I was stalked.
Then again, what could they say. The camera was costly enough. Good there was nothing else taken.

Hope you post your travels and photos here once you've been and come back home.

I have no responsibilities and no family. No real close friends. Never been married. Not sure where I should go. Being in the Marines for 30 years, worked for the Treasury Department for 6 years and worked at the Pentagon for 10 years, I have traveled extensively. I am 68 years old. I graduated from the Naval Academy. Tried out for the Astronaut Program, but was disqualified after my first interview.

I am not sure just what I want to do. Maybe go somewhere kind of cool and relax for a week. No sightseeing or theme parks. Money is no problem. Ideas? How about Russia? I really liked my visit over there. Even the food was great. The only other place that I can think of that I thoroughly enjoyed was the Netherlands.
Why off shore? There are literally hundreds of places in America to see. If money is no object & you have dependable transportation a road trip around America is a great way to enjoy the time you have. We did that stopping where something looked interesting. 6 months or more isn't unreasonable to relax along the way is understandable.

I have no responsibilities and no family. No real close friends. Never been married. Not sure where I should go. Being in the Marines for 30 years, worked for the Treasury Department for 6 years and worked at the Pentagon for 10 years, I have traveled extensively. I am 68 years old. I graduated from the Naval Academy. Tried out for the Astronaut Program, but was disqualified after my first interview.

I am not sure just what I want to do. Maybe go somewhere kind of cool and relax for a week. No sightseeing or theme parks. Money is no problem. Ideas? How about Russia? I really liked my visit over there. Even the food was great. The only other place that I can think of that I thoroughly enjoyed was the Netherlands.
Why not get one of those camper-vans and road trip all around the U.S.?

Back