I want to move to Florida- suggesstions where

Cdestroyer, my a pologies for quoting you above. I am having trouble recognizing where one post starts and ends. Vision problems is one of those elderly issues. I'll work it out in time if I hold on long enough. Maxine

Growing up in Florida I believed this, always thought of Bok Tower and the area as mountainous.

However after seeing real mountains I now know better, LOL
After walking up to the top of Bok tower mountain and looking down at the citrus tree growing on the rolling farms below, it certainly looks like Italy. Only in Italy it would be olive trees.

In 1971 we had a Florida vacation and we went down the east coast all the way to Key West. It was nice to escape the "up nawth" winter.
In 1972 we went south to Daytona and then across to the gulf coast. We liked what we saw and asked ourselves "why are we putting up with "up nawth winters"? I scouted around and found a job and we moved to Clearwater.
Back then folks from the northeast usually went to the east coast and folks from the midwest tended to go to the gulf coast.
A great deal has changed since the 1970s. One thing that we feel is important is that there is a good airport in the area so that it is easy for kids and grandkids to come visit.
It is decades since we have gone to Disney and the other places in the Orlando area.
If the summer heat gets to you, it is very pleasant up in the Great Smokey Mountains during the summer.
This is a wonderful place for boating. We have owned 3 sailboats and 2 motorboats at various times.
There is a cruise port across the bay in Tampa.

Old thread but, thought I'd update everyone: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Caution in regards to all the people wanting to move here from New York and California as well other heavily populated cities across the country, as well as those wanting to visit.
Before you come to Florida to visit, you must be aware of what is happening here, especially around the St Johns River! There's a housing shortage, rent has tripled, and folks are vacationing here in record numbers.

So if you plan on moving here, or just plan on vacationing in our woods, river bottoms, or lakes this summer, I think you should know that wolf spiders, fire ants and bedbugs have infested hotels and motels across the area due to dryer than usual weather.
Our lakes are full of gators, fresh water sharks, and creepy old guys wearing speedos
Our rivers are full of drunks in tubes peeing themselves while the banjo players lay waiting in the bushes.
Panthers have eaten many domesticated animals and possibly some small children.
The local bear and coyote population are all 'in heat' and think your wife/girlfriend is hot.
Snakes... don’t even get me started on the copper headed rattle moccasins here and the diamond back water Cobras.
The poison ivy has overtaken all other vegetation.
We have had bear sightings at every park and town! They are after your picnic baskets….and some cougars have been spotted in motel rooms.

Watch out for the trash pandas and possums; they have been extremely aggressive this season.
We have Bigfoot invading our parks and it’s their mating season.
Porcupines are "stabbing" small children should they dare to utilize the local playground equipment.
Skunks have made their way over and multiplied at unprecedented rates and wander the local campgrounds in packs looking for beer.
Murder hornets!?! We’ve got great black clouds of murder hornets, and swarms of giant crickets and even some of the biggest mosquitos known to man.
Scorpions have been congregating in massive quantities under rocks, logs, wooden steps, automobiles, and tarantulas are now stealing peoples food and biting like crazy.
Head lice now fly and we have vampire bats.

Driving is different here too! Right lane is for the speed limit if you must, middle is for people in a rush typically 70-85, and the left lane is for people running from the police, seriously trying to break the law or driving a minimum of 90 MPH. (Mustang owners, just do the best you can, it’s ok). :)

Oh and no one is vaccinated! :eek::eek: Come at your own risk!
I hear North Dakota and Iowa are really nice though... ;)

Caution in regards to all the people wanting to move here from New York and California as well other heavily populated cities across the country, as well as those wanting to visit.
Before you come to Florida to visit, you must be aware of what is happening here, especially around the St Johns River! There's a housing shortage, rent has tripled, and folks are vacationing here in record numbers.

So if you plan on moving here, or just plan on vacationing in our woods, river bottoms, or lakes this summer, I think you should know that wolf spiders, fire ants and bedbugs have infested hotels and motels across the area due to dryer than usual weather.
Our lakes are full of gators, fresh water sharks, and creepy old guys wearing speedos
Our rivers are full of drunks in tubes peeing themselves while the banjo players lay waiting in the bushes.
The local bear and coyote population are all 'in heat' and think your wife/girlfriend is hot.
Snakes... don’t even get me started on the copper headed rattle moccasins here and the diamond back water Cobras.
We have had bear sightings at every park and town! They are after your picnic baskets….and some cougars have been spotted in motel rooms.

Watch out for the trash pandas and possums; they have been extremely aggressive this season.
Porcupines are "stabbing" small children should they dare to utilize the local playground equipment.
Skunks have made their way over and multiplied at unprecedented rates and wander the local campgrounds in packs looking for beer.
Murder hornets!?! We’ve got great black clouds of murder hornets, and swarms of giant crickets and even some of the biggest mosquitos known to man.
Scorpions have been congregating in massive quantities under rocks, logs, wooden steps, automobiles, and tarantulas are now stealing peoples food and biting like crazy.

Driving is different here too! Right lane is for the speed limit if you must, middle is for people in a rush typically 70-85, and the left lane is for people running from the police, seriously trying to break the law or driving a minimum of 90 MPH. (Mustang owners, just do the best you can, it’s ok). :)

You forgot to mention the cockroaches that are as big as Volkswagons. 🚗

As for cougars in motel rooms, I spent the night in a motel room with one of those cougars once, but that was a long, long time ago. 👄

It worked out OK, though.

In the morning, we took a shower together and went to breakfast. 😁

She even paid. :cool: 👍

Last edited:
After walking up to the top of Bok tower mountain and looking down at the citrus tree growing on the rolling farms below, it certainly looks like Italy. Only in Italy it would be olive trees.

I never knew what that vertical sex organ was off to the right on I-4 affectionately known as the longest parking lot in the Sunshine State.

They'll still come, like ants to a picnic.

Back