Icelandic Vikings | We Will Rock You

It was carved using a CNC router I have in my shop, not hand carved. I made six or seven of them for family and friends.
They were also a hit at the local renaissance festival.
It’s great. I can see why they are a big hit. 👍
CNC router? Is that one of those carving machines that can copy work? Busy Bee has an automatic carver. Something I never thought possible.
I like the ease of carving pine wood but the sticky sap can sometimes be a problem. The smell is nice too. Do you do any hand carving?

A carver, a Dremel, doesn't matter! The carving is the thing! It's awesome!
No it doesn’t matter. I was more curious than anything. My husband is a bird carver and uses a Dremel and foredom tool. His carvings are amazing.
Due to my sinuses I can’t use tools like these as they create too much dust even with a dust collector. Now I’m always interested in how things are made. What tools? What wood? What finish ?
I probably ask too many questions though. 😬😂

It’s great. I can see why they are a big hit. 👍
CNC router? Is that one of those carving machines that can copy work? Busy Bee has an automatic carver. Something I never thought possible.
I like the ease of carving pine wood but the sticky sap can sometimes be a problem. The smell is nice too. Do you do any hand carving?
The piece is designed using 3D modeling software and then imported into the CNC software that runs the router. The time it takes to cut depends on the complexity of the piece and the number of bit changes that are required. Typically a rough cut and then a finishing cut. It takes approximately 7-8 hours to cut the viking mug and then several more hours of sanding before applying the finish.

I've tried hand carving, but don't yet have the skill or patience to produce the results I'd like.

Please feel free to ask as many questions as you like. :)

tenor.gif

Thread is cool, funny and informative.
Time has diminished the fear that the Vikings brought to Great Britain, Ireland, and parts of the continent. They were a bloodthirsty bunch and terrified the other countries.

Remember the prayer: "Lord save us from the fury of the Norsemen."

Their ability to kill an opponent was practiced, they had a particular gruesome method of killing enemies called the 'Butterfly of Bloody Eagle.'
Usually, they slaughtered the innocents, once the enemy was defeated they could now
pursue killing as an art form.

Whatever they were, we look at them twelve centuries later with interest.

Back