If you could retire anywhere in the world other than where you are right now, where would it be?

Interesting concept and it has been done before by a very few. I wonder though about medical needs, especially as one ages. Going to the medical facility on a ship is shockingly expensive. Covered through insurance if you have that but their abilities are very limited so eventually, you'd have to go to a hospital on land. I also wonder about receiving government pensions. Would you even still be eligible to receive one?

It would be nice to get great food all the time and many other things like a top notch gym, nightly shows/entertainment and a constantly changing of neighbors :)
On the bolded. As a US citizen, one is still responsible for filing annual income taxes (both federal and state). Some may arrange to use a relative's address for certain regular mail, banking purposes and whatever else. It may be somewhat similar to RVers who use Texas as their domicile since there is no state income tax. Even expats residing in other countries get their gov't income:

"The overwhelming majority of Social Security recipients abroad get their benefits deposited electronically, either in a U.S. bank or in a financial institution in a country with which the United States has a direct-deposit agreement."

On the bolded. As a US citizen, one is still responsible for filing annual income taxes (both federal and state). Some may arrange to use a relative's address for certain regular mail, banking purposes and whatever else. It may be somewhat similar to RVers who use Texas as their domicile since there is no state income tax. Even expats residing in other countries get their gov't income:

"The overwhelming majority of Social Security recipients abroad get their benefits deposited electronically, either in a U.S. bank or in a financial institution in a country with which the United States has a direct-deposit agreement."
Living in Canada I wasn't sure of the rules here but it appears that I could still receive both my general pension and my old age pension at full value. There's a stipulation on the old age pension that you would have to have lived in Canada for 40 years between the ages of 18 & 65 to get the whole pension amount.

So, that's good news and yes, I get my pensions directly deposited as well so no problem there. The only remain issue is medical care. As long as you maintained insurance coverage for that, it would probably be workable other than you may have a cruise interrupted if you have to get off to get proper medical attention.

Might actually give this some thought. Not sure I'd want to sell the house and do it for life but a year here & there would be nice (y)

I was born in Devon UK...and that will be our final home. My aunt died 10 years ago and she willed me the cottage in which I was born.. I rent it out to Japanese business people for a few weeks at a time. They are so careful and tidy.

I lived in Cornwall when I was first married...:D it's nice , but too touristy for me now...
Our stay was during the winter months so few tourists but something to be considered. On the other hand my physical health is not what it was and Cornwall is hilly in places and I love to be outdoors. So I'll just age in place, we to have many tourists all year round.

Our stay was during the winter months so few tourists but something to be considered. On the other hand my physical health is not what it was and Cornwall is hilly in places and I love to be outdoors. So I'll just age in place, we to have many tourists all year round.
Indeed it is hilly.. and next door Devon even more so.... This is a problem I have in Spain where I have my second home.. it's a very hilly area, and with my dodgy knee now, it's painful to walk up hill.. and I love to walk.. but I find now that I have to drive all the way down hill to flat areas by the beach or on the Plazas.. so I can walk without pain..

Indeed it is hilly.. and next door Devon even more so.... This is a problem I have in Spain where I have my second home.. it's a very hilly area, and with my dodgy knee now, it's painful to walk up hill.. and I love to walk.. but I find now that I have to drive all the way down hill to flat areas by the beach or on the Plazas.. so I can walk without pain..
Getting old sucks. I do the same, drive to walk, nuts?:rolleyes:

I enjoyed my time travelling and was tempted on a couple of occasions to relocate abroad but, the UK is my home and if and when I move, it will be somewhere in the UK and preferably the coast.

I was born in Devon UK...and that will be our final home. My aunt died 10 years ago and she willed me the cottage in which I was born.. I rent it out to Japanese business people for a few weeks at a time. They are so careful and tidy.
You are very lucky to have a home to go to when you decide to move, it takes away a lot of the stress.

We have often thought of retiring to the UK.

To use the benefits we receive from the USAF, we would stay close to RAF Lakenheath.
The village we lived in was fairly close and have friends that retired near there.

We could shop at the duty-free BX and have access to healthcare on the base.
Can still receive my retiree pay, VA, 401 and Social Security payments.

We know it's expensive, but the pound rate when we lived there in the late 80's/early 90's
was 1.98-2.08 USD to the pound. We survived with a family of 4 and it's just the two of us now.
We lived off base.

It's still on the table.

Don't I know it...won't be selling our London house though!
Well then you are even more fortunate to have two homes. To live in London and be able to walk to the museums and art galleries, see a show, I would love that, now that I have time. I really missed all that when I came to Canada.

Back