If You Learned One Of Your Parents Was Unfaithful What Would You Do?

fmdog44

Let's say your parents were in their 80s and you found positive proof one of them had a brief affair way back when they were young. Would you do or say anything to them or blow it off as a nothing burger?

I wouldn’t say a thing. If they’ve made it this far and are now in their 80’s, you bringing up might drastically change your relationship. What I would do instead is write a letter to ‘whomever it is,’ and get all your frustration, disappointment and disbelief out of your system. Then burn it and celebrate your maturity for handling it better than you initially wanted to.

Of course not! First off, it would be none of my business, and it would take a mean, resentful person to bring up such a thing and possibly cause problems between my elderly parents or least make them (even for just the one of them) feel bad about something that happened in the distant past. OMG

Of course not! First off, it would be none of my business, and it would take a mean, resentful person to bring up such a thing and possibly cause problems between my elderly parents or least make them (even for just the one of them) feel bad about something that happened in the distant past. OMG

I agree with Olivia

If it was likely to involve my parentage I might consider it, otherwise no, not my business, nobody knows what goes on within a marriage and I would respect their privacy

I certainly would not bring it up! It wouldn't be any of my business in the first place and might do irreparable damage to the parents' relationship. I think it would be very cruel to bring it up and I don't see how it would do any conceivable good for anyone.

Let's say your parents were in their 80s and you found positive proof one of them had a brief affair way back when they were young. Would you do or say anything to them or blow it off as a nothing burger?

A couple of words in this original post jump out at me - 'positive proof'. I have this vision of some old private detective's video-tape evidence. Does anyone have a VCR? :) Anything less would hardly be positive proof. Even discovering you are not the biological child of one parent doesn't necessarily mean an affair.

I would do nothing EXCEPT if the 'proof' happened to be a DNA match showing that I had a sibling I knew nothing about. That would warrant a family discussion.

Now both of my parents are gone but, honestly, I'd think it was cool. It would surprise me though. I only remember one time that it was ever even mentioned. My dad had this hunch that my mom was cheating at her job. My sister and I were early teens, at the time. I remember me and my sis doing some figuring on how we could benefit if they split up.

I know that sounds terrible but we did. Now I admit that I was never a good son. I hated being a kid. I ran away from home twice, the first time just to see an ocean and the second time to go to Mexico. Both times I left with very little money but managed to get jobs and hitch hike back home after a few weeks with money in my pockets. I didn't like depending on anyone, even parents.

Back