I'm in a pickle....

Colleen

My husband passed away quite suddenly on 10/13. I will not be receiving his pension (that's another story) so my income will be drastically reduced each month. I will need to sell our home (we have a mortgage) and find an apartment.

My immediate concern (among many) is how to get rid of a lease on the truck we just got in March (it has 880 miles on it). I went to the dealer and was told it has a small amount of equity ($2000) so they don't want it back. I need a smaller vehicle and a smaller payment. I tried to trade the truck for a new car SUV lease but they brushed me off.

I know that dealers buy back leases and that you don't have to go to the dealer you originally got the vehicle. It was really upsetting for me, especially after the shock of losing my husband, because of the way I was treated after we had dealt with them for many years and purchased/leased 8 other vehicles from them over the years.

I'm hoping for some advice to help me deal with this.

571a74455fb9e035bf0afc718c89f5b2.jpg

So sorry about your husbands passing.

I googled how to get out of a lease and found this among other sites, if worse comes to worse I would go to manager where you leased it and just tell him your situation and that you are a long time customer.

How can I get out of a lease early?
Thank you for the link. I've read several articles like this and they've given me a lot of information. I plan on going back to the dealer and speaking with a manager. The salesman that I spoke with last week that blew me off was who we leased it from and we didn't care much for him then. After my visit last week, I came home and I was angry that I was treated that way, so wrote an email to the general manager and told him what happened. I immediately got an email from the assistant manager and she told me to come back in and they would talk to me. I'll see what happens this time.

@Colleen, so sorry to hear of your loss.

This may sound like it is not the best thing to do, but you break a lease like any contract, simply do not honor the the terms of it, let them repo it. Now, the downside is, you may be liable for the contract amount and may sued?? It also may affect your credit rating?

If they do that, consider bankruptcy!

Agreed and, If you could get a consult with an attorney you might get some specific ideas that might be helpful.

This may sound like it is not the best thing to do, but you break a lease like any contract, simply do not honor the the terms of it, let them repo it. Now, the downside is, you may be liable for the contract amount and may sued?? It also may affect your credit rating?

If they do that, consider bankruptcy!
This would be a last resort for me. To get another vehicle requires a good credit rating and I don't want to jeopardize that. Also, where I'm considering moving to, they do a credit check also.

Thank you for the link. I've read several articles like this and they've given me a lot of information. I plan on going back to the dealer and speaking with a manager. The salesman that I spoke with last week that blew me off was who we leased it from and we didn't care much for him then. After my visit last week, I came home and I was angry that I was treated that way, so wrote an email to the general manager and told him what happened. I immediately got an email from the assistant manager and she told me to come back in and they would talk to me. I'll see what happens this time.

I am glad your going back and talking to a manager,I hope the person does the right thing and helps you to your satisfaction.

My heart sank when I read your husband "Suddenly Past". Mine did too. You can do this Colleen. You're going to be very busy and look at that as a blessing because it will keep your mind moving forward outside of your pain of loss.

SF is a great place but there are also online forums & real-life groups of widows and widowers at churches and elsewhere in the community that are there to help and to offer advise and direction as well. You may make some new supportive friends in the meantime.

It will seem overwhelming but make a list of to-do's and tell yourself to take one at a time. Just do what you can. Some important things will slip through the cracks or miss deadlines (focus on your progress) but life went on for me and my 4 young children (2-8) and we're all alive and very well today, 36 years later.

I don't know a thing about Go Fund Me but it sounds like you may qualify(?). Make a list of your needs including that your husband died suddenly and pension unavailable now...can't afford lease payments on truck (can you meet with someone higher up than manager?), have to move out of house to apartment, and all the "in-a-pickle" items you haven't mentioned here. Just a wild idea but you never know.
@Colleen

Last edited:

Back