I'm in a pickle....

And why it's so difficult, in between grieving, to navigate twenty ships at once.
Yes, it is difficult. I'm sure many of you have been through dealing with a loss and then trying to make the right decisions on everything else. Today, I also learned that my husband's death benefit from his pension company is no longer being paid out. She said they quit paying that out in 2019. That's $6000 I sure could have used but I guess the company needed it more :(

First I'm so sorry you've lost your husband. Secondly it's clear btwn the pension, death benefit, and truck lease you need professional help. Obviously decisions made now are so very important to your financial health and long term well being.

In this case w great time pressure, spending a little now, might benefit you greatly going forward. Legal advice, perhaps an elder care lawyer would be a place to start. You're clearly also going to need financial advice as well so you have a clear understanding of your finances and then make a decision on selling the house.

I'd tell the dealer what happened, that I couldn't and wouldn't be making any more payments, and would like to give the car back to them. I would put this in writing, including stating that I would not be making any more payments and that the balance would be considered paid in full, whether they agreed to this or not, have them sign that they've received a copy of my form (or else take a witness with me to sign), and would leave the car and the keys with them.

I mistakenly got into credit card debt in the 1990s. They kept jacking up the interest rates and penalties, so I simply stopped paying them and cancelled the cards (though they didn't cancel them). They kept sending me letters for years, which I hardly looked at and tossed in the trash, and debt collectors would randomly call me on the phone. I never paid anyone.

A decade or so later, my credit union issued a credit card to me that I never used. About 18 months ago - due to many warnings about debit card dangers - I applied for a credit card with Fidelity. They immediately issued one with a high credit limit, without even checking my credit. Curious, I checked and my credit rating was surprisingly 720 (now 793), even though I hadn't used credit for 25 years.

I have only bought cars from private parties, and have always paid cash for them. I would never buy a car from a dealer nor anything else long term on credit. I only use the credit card to pay utility bills, groceries, property tax etc, and the card is automatically paid off completely each month.

Last edited:
The problem with walking away from the car is that they will put a lean on your house and get their money when you sell it. When both my friends were dying and could no longer drive or afford the payment we helped them return the car. I made many calls trying to resolve the issue but in the end the couple died with no money so there wasn’t anything for the dealer to pursue.

From the conversations it would have been different if there’s money involved for them to pursue. Both in the couple had cancer and even though they had insurance they still were financially devastated.

The problem with walking away from the car is that they will put a lean on your house and get their money when you sell it. When both my friends were dying and could no longer drive or afford the payment we helped them return the car. I made many calls trying to resolve the issue but in the end the couple died with no money so there wasn’t anything for the dealer to pursue.

From the conversations it would have been different if there’s money involved for them to pursue. Both in the couple had cancer and even though they had insurance they still were financially devastated.
Thanks for saving me the time writing a reply. You are 100% correct.

Back