I'm Packing Up My Apartment. I'm Not Moving Now However.

It's also a good idea to go through your stuff and ask yourself if you really need to keep it. Having the boxes out makes you do that. I also hope you can find a place of your own. The news keeps saying the changes in Real Estate commissions that will start this June will help bring all housing prices down, but I'm skeptical about that happening in California. Sorry. https://www.npr.org/2024/03/15/1238...n-real-estate-housing-buyer-seller-settlement

Housing is a supply-and-demand problem. If they never increase supplies of 55+ up housing in CA, and never increase supplies of lower income housing in CA, then Seniors and lower income peple will always be slaves to renting.

As for RE agents accepting less than 6%, I think that is dubious too. I think being an agent or broker will become much more competitive, but I think agents and brokers will find other ways to add fees to their services to compensate for what they are losing in commissions. Plus, maybe more lawyers will get into being Buyer's Agents? For a fee, of course.

I hope you find a place that you really like and can afford to buy.
Thank you. I did look at my social security statement online for the first time in at least 2 years and was surprised it went up as much as it did. I've kept working so of course it did, but that hadn't occurred to me.

Even with the higher space rents, if I can find the right place at the right price, I should be OK. I just wish so many of the homes were not so big.

@VintageBetter I agree they will always find ways to get their money.

I'm not counting on any big decrease in my area either. Especially with fires the last years. However, most places are not selling like they did. They are selling for less than the asking price, often after a reduction. (I check sold on Realtor dot com) However nice newer places are a premium.

One place, though newer and needing some work, sold for 35 grand less than the original listing price. I looked at it but it was a hot mess. They said the seller was doing the repairs but in my opinion it should never have been put on the market needing those repairs. I think the stupid seller thought everything was still so hot and it would sell fast at the asking price. Didn't happen.

Back in 1997 when my late husband and I bought our home in So. CAL, it was a 3 bedroom/2bath, 1600 square foot home built back in the 50's. We bought it for $156,000. It just sold recently for $625,000! Ridiculous. Hope you get something soon that you'll be happy in.

Well you are taking steps towards moving to a better place. I don't like where I am anymore either. I hope you find something that is much better than what you have. You inspire me to start thinking of moving only I can't do it yet. It's a long story. Good luck and happy hunting 🙂

@Lewkat Prices in this area changed a lot. If I had kept that house I bought, it would be paid off. But I didn't want to stay there either.

@Colleen prices in Santa Cruz where I am from have gone insane.
Oh, how I do know how the prices out there are, Remy. But, I finally, after eons returned to my home state of NJ and we are absolutely commensurate with CA. Believe it or not, we are one of the wealthiest states in the union, and NY right next door is no better.

It's unbelievable out there from my halcyon days.

When my husband died, I was at my wits end knowing what was best for ME. I started cleaning up my backyard and then got stuck into the interior. I packed all the things that I wanted to take with me and put a sign on my front fence saying all the furniture was being given away.,
after all it was over 20 years old.
Next, I saw an estate agent who told me my house could go within a week with the right people. It sold within 5
days. I looked around the area I wanted to go to and saw a 2-bedroom villa with a small backyard. I knew as soon as I saw it this would be my
next home. I have been living here now for 11 years and am so happy I made the choice to move quickly, after certain family members said I was moving too fast.
I always say, "Go with Your Heart ", when you make a life changing decision.

Good Luck Remy on your next adventure.

When my husband died, I was at my wits end knowing what was best for ME. I started cleaning up my backyard and then got stuck into the interior. I packed all the things that I wanted to take with me and put a sign on my front fence saying all the furniture was being given away.,
after all it was over 20 years old.
Next, I saw an estate agent who told me my house could go within a week with the right people. It sold within 5
days. I looked around the area I wanted to go to and saw a 2-bedroom villa with a small backyard. I knew as soon as I saw it this would be my
next home. I have been living here now for 11 years and am so happy I made the choice to move quickly, after certain family members said I was moving too fast.
I always say, "Go with Your Heart ", when you make a life changing decision.

Good Luck Remy on your next adventure.
What exactly is a villa? Do you have a garden in your backyard? Do you like your new neighbours?

Maybe Remy might find a villa?
Good luck Remy?

Are you actively looking for an apartment. Or have you been? I can't follow all that's posted here on the forum, so may have missed it if you posted about doing so. I sincerely hope you can find someplace you like and feel comfortable in Remy. That's so important for peace of mind.

Do you want to stay in California, @Remy ?
Moving would be difficult and expensive. But the truth is, I would have moved out of this town after the fire if I could have. I don't know about leaving California. That would be long and expensive. I'm trapped here not only by my stepfather but the feral cats I feed.

I can't forgive myself for the stupid mistakes I'm making. And I'm paying for them.

Back