In Scotland

After a few days in Edinburgh overcoming jet lag, yesterday I drove to St Andrews. Hotel is right across the street from the Old Course. Beautiful!
Pleased you're enjoying yourself in my home country!! How's the weather up there..?.. is it cold and cloudy? .. here in the South we have glorious sun and 70f, ..., still you don't need the sun to enjoy yourself in Scotland!! :D

It is a beautiful country..it's where I was born and raised. !! ❤...altho' like every country it has the not so pretty parts!!
My niece’s husband was born and raised in Edinburgh. They met online. He came here to the U.S. and got a job and an apartment almost right away. After going together for about 18 months, they were married. Then, they went to Edinburgh and was married again. Here, it was a Protestant wedding, over there, it was a Catholic wedding. I was invited to go along over with my niece and her family, but it was bad timing. I may have missed my only opportunity to get a free trip to Scotland. Drat!

His last name is Bell. Is that a common name over there?

My niece’s husband was born and raised in Edinburgh. They met online. He came here to the U.S. and got a job and an apartment almost right away. After going together for about 18 months, they were married. Then, they went to Edinburgh and was married again. Here, it was a Protestant wedding, over there, it was a Catholic wedding. I was invited to go along over with my niece and her family, but it was bad timing. I may have missed my only opportunity to get a free trip to Scotland. Drat!

His last name is Bell. Is that a common name over there?
Not really common..no!!. However I'm a little confused, because someone already married would not have been permitted to get married again, especially ina catholic church!! I know this only too well. My mother was a Catholic and my father was a protestant, it caused a lot of angst in our family!!

Not really common..no!!. However I'm a little confused, because someone already married would not have been permitted to get married again, especially ina catholic church!! I know this only too well. My mother was a Catholic and my father was a protestant, it caused a lot of angst in our family!!

Maybe when they went over there, they didn’t tell the Priest. I don’t know, but I do know they did it somehow.

Here in the U.S., I have attended weddings that were conducted by 2 different Pastors from 2 different churches. For example; 1 was a Methodist Pastor while the other was a Lutheran Pastor. Both are considered to be Protestants.

Here in the U.S., I have attended weddings that were conducted by 2 different Pastors from 2 different churches. For example; 1 was a Methodist Pastor while the other was a Lutheran Pastor. Both are considered to be Protestants.

total thread derail... but one of my college roommates was Greek Orthodox and she married a Roman Catholic. They had a formal, hybrid service with both priests. It was beautiful, but very, very looooooong since they incorporated all the high church liturgy from both traditions.

@Llynn When you get back, I'd love to know the places you recommend, whether you liked this time of year. I'm torn between visiting in late spring or early fall. @hollydolly ...would love your input!

I could bore you for years..:D..it's my home country, so if you gave me an idea of what part of Scotland you'd like to visit I'd be much more helpful. I was born and raised on the west coast. My mum and all my maternal relatives on the East Coast, but I've visited the North of Scotland and the Highlands many times too...

My entire knowledge of Scotland's climate comes from "Braveheart" which depicted Scotland as cold, rainy and chilly: say it ain't so?
Is the messy weather only in the Highlands.
No, actually most of the rain falls on the west coast, that's why it's so green and beautiful but it's also not as cold as the rest of Scotland can be.. . The highlands and the very north and the islands are the coldest part of not only Scotland but the UK...but on a sunny day they are stunning. Braveheart was a joke of a film

Take a trip on google earth , or street view !!

The hottest part of the UK is down here in the south of England...

Today was quite warm, mid 70s f. If one were so inclined you would be comfortable wearing a bikini this week. Now rain is predicted for next so you might want your bikini to be water proof and fur lined at that time. Going to drop in on Nessie tomorrow, enjoying a boat ride on Loch Ness. I know, it's a touristy thing to do but like eating haggis (I loved it) it is something a visitor to the country just has to do.

Last edited:
Drove to Glengarry and the slept in the Glengarry Castle Hotel on the shore of Loch Oich.I highly recommend this accomodation..the four newer Bently automobiles in the parking area indicate it is a popular place for folks with means beyond mine Will be driving on through the beautiful highlands and will be stopping for the night at Sterling in a former school converted to a hotel located just below the Castle. Rain in store all this week.

Attachments

• 20190921_112100.jpg
    20190921_112100.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 5
Drove to Glengarry and the slept in the Glengarry Castle Hotel on the shore of Loch Oich.I highly recommend this accomodation..the four newer Bently automobiles in the parking area indicate it is a popular place for folks with means beyond mine Will be driving on through the beautiful highlands and will be stopping for the night at Sterling in a former school converted to a hotel located just below the Castle. Rain in store all this week.
Just a small correction Llynn hope you don't mind.. It's spelled Stirling , it's where I was born... :giggle: enjoy the rest of your trip

Last edited:
My entire knowledge of Scotland's climate comes from "Braveheart" which depicted Scotland as cold, rainy and chilly: say it ain't so?
Is the messy weather only in the Highlands.
Oh that everyone had the heart of Braveheart! Sorry I kind of went off topic there but to me William Wallace is such an inspiration.

Just a small correction Llynn hope you don't mind.. It's spelled Stirling , it's where I was born... :giggle: enjoy the rest of your trip
Thanks. I think I was spell checked and didn't notice. Hope you don't mind my "American's perspective" comments regarding your beautiful country and I realize now that I probably shouId have never started it... being a foreigner an all. In fact, I think I will end this travelogue now and let any interested folks direct any questions and comments to you as you suggested earlier.

Thanks. I think I was spell checked and didn't notice. Hope you don't mind my "American's perspective" comments regarding your beautiful country and I realize now that I probably shouId have never started it... being a foreigner an all. In fact, I think I will end this travelogue now and let any interested folks direct any questions and comments to you as you suggested earlier.
Oh please don't let that put you off. I enjoy reading the perspectives of visitors, you see things through different eyes, and it's lovely to read.

Back