Protests In Iran Spread, Putting Government In Quandary

Fear of death can be an incentive..
Also, when individuals are born/raised in a situation, they may not know there's anything different/better, or actually believe it's acceptable.
it's like any abusive situation.. we as kids got beaten regularly, it never occurred to us that our friends parents weren't doing the same.. Only when we got grown did we realise they weren't.

Here in the UK many immigrants continue their ''tradition'; of beating their wives and children.. and it mostly goes unreported because a great deal of immigrant wives don't speak English and are deliberately kept that way.. husband doing all the dealings outside of the home..and the children who grow up to speak English are not permitted to report what's happening behind closed doors, for fear of retribution.. from not only the father but the wider family.. several reports of killings of daughters have occurred when some have gone against the fathers' rules.. goodness knows how many have gone unreported

So fear is the answer to the Question

Not the first time this kind of thing has happened in Iran, but so far it has all come to nothing. Iran has an educated population with a longer history of liberal government than most countries in that region. However for the last 40 years or so the government has been pretty backward.

I think it will change someday, just hope that day is soon. However I've been hoping that for a long time now.

I can't understand why women in these Muslim nations accept the treatment imposed upon them.
Years ago, I worked at a law university. A woman co-worker always looked ragged - her teeth were awful & needed work, she dressed in raggedy clothes, she was severely underweight & I found out from other co-workers that she lived 30 miles away & had to take 3 buses to get to work, while her "husband" drove a new Mercedes.
I was told she was Iranian & Muslim.

I can't understand why women in these Muslim nations accept the treatment imposed upon them.
I understand what you are saying but I also think back when I was in my 20s I accepted men made more money for the same type of work and I went along. As I recall my thinking was they were the 'head' of families and needed more money..lol how dumb was that...

As for Muslim women they are so controlled by the men any protest would be harshly dealt with.

I don't understand why so many Muslim women in the U.S., who fled oppressive religious regimes, voluntarily and enthusiastically wear hijabs here. It seems like a contradiction of beliefs.
Nothing wrong with wearing hijabs or burqas, so long as the wearer does it by choice, not coercion. I think a lot of Muslim women want to wear them, and they should feel free to.

Just like a lot of Jews wear a yarmulke. I once went to a Jewish wedding and was asked to wear one, did not feel oppressed in the least.

IMO, because they know no better, ... and or because they have no protection in their government, and damn little [if] any in private organizations.

This is brought up on many occasion and in many groups here in this country. While it is sad for sure, it has roots going back thousands of years and ........ "we" cannot fix the world.

Before the [jet] brought the world together ..... we knew little [if] anything about this sort of thing.

I sometimes wonder if we should go back to Ozzie & Harriet and [prop] planes .... <grin>

it's like any abusive situation.. we as kids got beaten regularly, it never occurred to us that our friends parents weren't doing the same.. Only when we got grown did we realise they weren't.

Here in the UK many immigrants continue their ''tradition'; of beating their wives and children.. and it mostly goes unreported because a great deal of immigrant wives don't speak English and are deliberately kept that way.. husband doing all the dealings outside of the home..and the children who grow up to speak English are not permitted to report what's happening behind closed doors, for fear of retribution.. from not only the father but the wider family.. several reports of killings of daughters have occurred when some have gone against the fathers' rules.. goodness knows how many have gone unreported

So fear is the answer to the Question
How is the issue of child marriage evolving in the UK?

It's the same reason you don't go to the store naked.
But I understand your comment, it's like every woman was assumed to be a wonton slut that needs to be covered up, so she won't cause men to rape her. It's not a real pretty picture of womanhood.

You're blaming the victim of oppression for being oppressed?
No, I'm not "blaming" anyone. I can understand women accepting this "slavery" if they are totally isolated, and have no access to any form of news, etc. However, in today's world, if they have access to TV, cell phones, social media, etc., they must realize that women in other countries are not treated like "chattel", and I am surprised that these women are not trying to improve their position in society.

No, I'm not "blaming" anyone. I can understand women accepting this "slavery" if they are totally isolated, and have no access to any form of news, etc. However, in today's world, if they have access to TV, cell phones, social media, etc., they must realize that women in other countries are not treated like "chattel", and I am surprised that these women are not trying to improve their position in society.
And... we women of the West are not, by permission of the guys who originally made the rules! LoL. Kidding aside, the women would be beaten for that. They are afraid.

Don, these women might have access to all sorts of media and realize that this type of oppression is unacceptable in other parts of the world. However, in other parts of the world, women are not imprisoned, tortured, and murdered for protesting and trying to improve their position in society. So, it's no surprise to me that they have extreme difficulty speaking up and protesting to "improve their position in society".

@dseag2 posted this yesterday > https://www.seniorforums.com/thread...improper-wearing-of-hajib.75008/#post-2239155

"A state TV anchor said late Thursday that 26 protesters and policemen had been killed since the protests erupted last Saturday after the funeral of the 22-year-old Mahsa Amini, without elaborating on how authorities reached that figure. He said official statistics would be released later, but during past periods of unrest authorities have not provided a full accounting of deaths and injuries."

https://www.msn.com/he-il/news/othe...s-held-in-iran-amid-mass-protests/ar-AA129HqQ

Bella ✌️

Even when some Muslims from the Mideast move to the U.S. they bring their culture or traditions with them. I knew an Iranian family that moved into our neighborhood. The main man was very unsociable. The mother was fine, polite and friendly to a certain degree. They had 3 children, 2 boys and 1 girl, who was a junior in high school.

The girl took up with an American boy who wanted to date her. Daddy didn’t approve and told the girl if she didn’t discontinue the relationship, he would kill her. A month or so later, the family moved out. This was the story from the boy. I have also heard of honor killings happening here in the U.S. from Mideast families.

I don't understand why so many Muslim women in the U.S., who fled oppressive religious regimes, voluntarily and enthusiastically wear hijabs here. It seems like a contradiction of beliefs.
I went grocery shopping last night. Yap! Plenty of ladies with hijabs and plenty of men with turbans. As I walked around and listened there didn't seem to be anyone speaking English. I know this to be true as several of them seemed to be spending a lot of time on their phones rather than actually buying any groceries. Made me wonder if I am still in Canada or have arrived in some strange country and lost my mind?

Makes me wonder, why travel to foreign countries and put up with stress and spend thousands of dollars. Just come here, buy a few groceries and you are surrounded by the people of the world.

Sometimes I wonder if they will learn one of our 2 official languages (English & French) or will they grab onto that famous/infamous Canadian piece of paper called the Document of Human Rights and insist that they have the right not to learn the 2 basic languages. I don't think this will happen but sometimes I wonder? You never know what waits down the road of life?

Attachments

• hijabs.jpg
    hijabs.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Turban Days.jpg
    Turban Days.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Back