Insurance Nightmare

On the advice of my attorney, I made an appointment with my home insurance carrier to get a new policy for the house I'm buying. There's a man and woman that work in that office. The woman assured me it would only take a few minutes and she'd have the papers all ready to sign when I got there. Well, she didn't and an hour and a half later she was till fumbling with her computer trying to get it to print. She had to keep calling the man over to show her how to do things. She's not a new employee, she's been there since I started with them 14 years ago. The the man would negate everything she tried to do or say which only confused her more. Her excuse was that they don't get many people that buy houses and don't mortgage them and she was used to writing those policies. I don't understand what mortgages have to do with writing an insurance policy.

Finally, I though everything was settled and I just received a phone call from her saying they forgot to get a check from me. I said that I thought they had set it up so they would take it out of my bank account like they do for my current policy. She said that the way she wrote it, that won't start until next year. You think they would have known that and told me whan I was in the office.

They wanted me to bring them a check right away. I told her that since it was their error, they should send someone to pick it up so I don't have to leave my yard sale. She said the man had left for the day, so she was the only one there and she couldn't leave the office. I asked if I could bring it next week. She said that they needed it today.

I never ran into what my grandfather would term a "schusslich" operation. What would you do?

Insurance companies can be a PIA. In this case I would find a way to get the check to them today, and get a written receipt for it. Otherwise you risk being without insurance. Or I would go Don's way, if you can do that today on the phone.

My insurance company accepted a credit card payment for the first one, so it could take effect immediately. You might ask about that.

Well, my back is to the wall. I don't have a lot of time to go insurance shopping, and there are limited offices around here.
Sounds like you may have to get there today, unless you are willing to take a risk of not having insurance over the weekend.

Not a good choice and your insurance person has put you in an awful position. Not your fault, but its what you have to deal with and decide on.

No matter what you do come Monday I would make some loud complaints to the company, management needs to know what happened to you...

Best of luck with it.

Well, my back is to the wall. I don't have a lot of time to go insurance shopping, and there are limited offices around here.
Go online, visit the websites of several insurance companies you're comfortable with. Indicate that you want a quote ASAP.

There is a lot of competition out there, you don't have to put up with some flaky outfit that wants you to do all the legwork. They act like they're doing you a favor by taking your money. What was that word? Schusslich, is that Pennsylvania Dutch meaning "slippery"?

Deb, can you do an e transfer through your bank?
That's the way I have it now and I thought that's the way they set it up for the new account.

BTW - it's taken care of. My doorbell rang about 30 minutes ago and it was the man from the insurance office, very apologetic, but eager to snatch my check. He said they have a new "system" and are on a learning curve. I still may have some sharp words if the company ever sends me a satisfaction survey. Their agents should be trained on how to use the new equipment BEFORE customers are entering the office.

If the closing isn’t until August 6th why was it so important to have the check today?

If this was my first experience with them I would be upset but after 14 years with them I would let it slide.

In a small town I would want a good relationship that hopefully would get me some help at 3:00am during an emergency.

Hang in there, Deb!

I can't answer that one. I only know what the female agent said.
Since she didn’t seem to know what she’s talking about, it probably didn’t have to happen today since the closing isn’t until August 6th.

Lots of people don‘t have mortgages. It really shouldn‘t have been difficult for her.

Good luck with your garage sale.

After my mom passed, I went all over town to try to get a policy. The only place that would accept me as a client were these people. I was turned down at other agencies because I didn't have any credit rating.

Last edited:
After my mom passed, I went all over town to try to get a policy. The only place tat would accept me as a client were these people. I was turned down at other agencies because I didn't have any credit rating.
😱 Why on earth would you need a credit rating when you’re paying with cash? Some places just follow the rules in their manuals.

😱 Why on earth would you need a credit rating when you’re paying with cash? Some places just follow the rules in their manuals.
Same reason you can't rent a car, or book a motel room, reserve a plane ticket, etc, etc, without the infamous credit card. :mad: They don't want to believe that some people would opt out of the credit card bs. The saying used to be "cash is king", but, there are those that would like to end that. :(

I don't have a credit card because:

1) less chance of identity theft
2) not tempted to buy online - I know people that do and over-spend or suffer ID theft.
3) not inundated with spam snail-mail, email and telephone calls form business the CC companies sell your contact info to.
4) I do not understand how they work.

Same reason you can't rent a car, or book a motel room, reserve a plane ticket, etc, etc, without the infamous credit card. They don't want to believe that some people would opt out of the credit card bs. The saying used to be "cash is king", but, there are those that would like to end that.

Those need to be secured so that you’ll pay for what you’re buying or to pay for possible damages when using the car or hotel room.

The fee owed for insurance is a flat amount. If you can pay cash and that would be the only thing they’d accept, a credit rating should be immaterial.

Back