International Left-Handed Day - August 13th

International Left-Handed Day - August 13th​

It's also Friday the 13th....

Heh, at one time, left handed folks were considered sinister, of which simply means 'on the left' (as I understand it)
Now, the connotation means 'evil'

In any event, you lefties have yerselves a nice day
or
Should I say, enjoy yer next 24 hrs....

Heh, at one time, left handed folks were considered sinister, of which simply means 'on the left' (as I understand it)
You are right on both counts, it is Friday the 13th, and left often has a negative connotation. From Wikipedia:

Historically, the left side, and subsequently left-handedness, was considered negative. The word "left" itself derives from the Anglo-Saxon word lyft, "weak"... The Latin adjective sinister/sinistra/sinistrum originally meant "left" but took on meanings of "evil" or "unlucky" by the Classical Latin era, and this double meaning survives in European derivatives of Latin, and in the English word "sinister".

Even today the Italian word for left is "sinistra".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bias_against_left-handed_people

or
The modern connotations of the word 'sinister' may come to most western cultures via the Roman Catholic church, but even some other faiths and cultures hold similar views. My Hindu 1st mother in law would say my hubby was 'touched by the devil' because he had a line of some 6-8 moles from throat to thigh on left side, AND was left handed.

One of our twin sons is left handed (the other is right-handed; the hair swirls in opposite directions on the crown of their heads and their learning styles reflected their brain dominance tho both semi ambidextrous like i am. i had one sister who was left handed of necessity--she broke her collarbone early in elementary school, learned to write with Left hand to keep up with her school work and never went back.

Last edited:
Huh.....mirror images
True twins!
Very much so, they do the 'twin thing' a lot. One of their worst fights in early teens (because i'd always treated them as individuals only mentioning they are twins when it is relevant, they needed to 'separate/individualize' more from each other than from Mom, so a couple of unsettling years 11-14) was at age 11 or 12 and involved a girl and one of them saying what the other had only thought, that got a smile out of her.

jerry-tom-and-jerry.jpg

or
I am a leftie and proud of it! Had a bit of trouble being taught by the grey nuns way back...they would hit my left hand with a ruler and force me to use my right one. Using your left hand to write or even darn in sewing class was considered evil! Actually all this held me in good stead as I can do many things using both hands equally well. So there!

You are right on both counts, it is Friday the 13th, and left often has a negative connotation. From Wikipedia:

Historically, the left side, and subsequently left-handedness, was considered negative. The word "left" itself derives from the Anglo-Saxon word lyft, "weak"... The Latin adjective sinister/sinistra/sinistrum originally meant "left" but took on meanings of "evil" or "unlucky" by the Classical Latin era, and this double meaning survives in European derivatives of Latin, and in the English word "sinister".

Even today the Italian word for left is "sinistra".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bias_against_left-handed_people
My husband is left handed....

Yea, I have a day for left-handed me. However, I only write and hold eating utensils with my left hand. I do just about everything else with my right one.
that's opposite to me, I'm right-handed and aside from writing with my right hand I do everything with my left!!

Out of all of our family, only my baby sister (now in her 50's).. is a Leftie.. and she was never forced at school to use her right hand, like you hear some horror stories about , She's also the only artistic one amongst us..( art..painting drawing etc).. and it may not always be the case, but from my own experience , I've found that people who have the best artistic talent do seem to be more often left-handed...

Last edited:
I am a leftie and proud of it! Had a bit of trouble being taught by the grey nuns way back...they would hit my left hand with a ruler and force me to use my right one. Using your left hand to write or even darn in sewing class was considered evil! Actually all this held me in good stead as I can do many things using both hands equally well. So there!
Same here! except it was a public school. 1st grade. My Mother was shocked that I kept coming home with my hand all bloody.
She had a little talk with the teacher.
I think most of us (leftys) can use both hands or can switch if needed.
ignorance in action!

Back