Is Anyone Considering Moving to another Country for Retirement?

.. I've heard that Belize was a retirement Mecca for Americans. Stopped there on a cruise last summer. Sure, they speak English, but the phrase "grinding poverty" came to mind. I would imagine Americans must live in compounds, because what I saw was pretty ramshackle. No, thank you.

I agree with you, as that is what we saw in Belize also, on a trip there about 10 yrs. ago. Was kind of shocking after all the "sunshine and roses" propaganda spewed about the wonderful lifestyle Americans could live there.
Came away shaking my head!

I appreciate everyone's input. There is so much to consider regarding such a big move. Most likely I will end up
staying here in the US. If I had more friends or family members that would be interested in joining me then
maybe I might try it, but I don't.

I wouldn't live anywhere other than in the US but I'd like to spend a few months in other English-speaking countries every now and then. A lofty goal that is probably not financially available to me but something I would do if I could afford it.

Look at all the people trying to get into the USA and those who are here. Tells you something, Go somewhere else?
Canada is not a warm country, although where I live it has a maritime temperate climate. However it is safe, healthcare excellent, pharmaceuticals affordable, American money worth considerably more than our Canuck dollar. We are a hospitable people.

Canada is not a warm country, although where I live it has a maritime temperate climate. However it is safe, healthcare excellent, pharmaceuticals affordable, American money worth considerably more than our Canuck dollar. We are a hospitable people.

And polite. Don't forget polite. There are many retired Canadians who are winter Texans or Floridians or Arizonans.

Name three.

Lol, Canada, Great Britain, France, Italy, Ireland, Germany, Spain, Denmark, Finland, Greece, Iceland, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Sweden, Switzerland, New Zealand, The Netherlands, Hungary, Austria, Australia, Japan, Singapore, Solomon Islands, Thailand, Malaysia, Chile and Hong Kong.

I'm sure I've missed a few, but hope that helps.

Last edited:
Lol, Canada, Great Britain, France, Italy, Ireland, Germany, Spain, Denmark, Finland, Greece, Iceland, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Sweden, Switzerland, New Zealand, The Netherlands, Hungary, Austria, Australia, Japan, Singapore, Solomon Islands, Thailand, Malaysia, Chile and Hong Kong.

I'm sure I've missed a few, but hope that helps.

None of which are probably any cheaper, or safer, or have better health care than the US. And some are quite a bit more expensive -- Japan, for example. And Malaysia sure isn't safe. The Solomon Islands?? Really? That's not isolated at all. :rolleyes:

None of which are probably any cheaper, or safer, or have better health care than the US. And some are quite a bit more expensive -- Japan, for example. And Malaysia sure isn't safe. The Solomon Islands?? Really? That's not isolated at all. :rolleyes:

If you go back and read my original statement (which is quoted below), you will see that I never made any of the claims you are now attaching to it. I never mentioned "cheaper, safer, better health care or being isolated".

I simply said:
There are plenty of safe and enjoyable places for retirees to live other than the US, it all depends on what a person is looking for.

And that statement is 100% true.

You asked for an example of 3 places, I gave you over 25 and you pick one of them out (Malaysia) as not being safe? Comical.

[h=1]Is Malaysia a Safe or Dangerous Country?[/h] Malaysia is a relatively safe country. Violent crimes are uncommon, however, assaults and robberies do occur rarely, sometimes involving weapons. The most frequent crimes against foreigners are purse snatching, pickpocketing, and others petty thefts. There have been reported cases, when the thieves used knives or machetes in order to shock the victim by cutting them. As most countries, there are areas that are recommended to avoid.
https://safearound.com/asia/malaysia/

Back