Is Halloween a holiday?

I sent my aunt an email and in it I mentioned that the holiday Halloween was coming up. She sent a reply that Halloween wasn't a holiday; it was an observance. I realize it isn't a Federal holiday, like you would get off work - sort of like Valentine's Day or St. Patrick's Day. I just wanted to know how other's viewed it - holiday or not?

• Ancient Origins of Halloween. Halloween’s origins date back to the ancient Celtic festival of …
  • All Saints Day. On May 13, 609 A.D., Pope Boniface IV dedicated the Pantheon in Rome in honor …
  • Halloween Comes to America 10 10 Images. Celebration of Halloween was extremely limited in …
  • Trick-or-Treat. Borrowing from Irish and English traditions, Americans began to dress up in …
https://www.history.com/topics/halloween/history-of-halloween

No, it is the eve of a Holy Day (holiday)

All Saints' Day, also known as All Hallows' Day, Hallowmas, Feast of All Saints, or Solemnity of All Saints, is a Christian festival celebrated in honour of all the saints, known and unknown.

In Western Christianity, it is celebrated on 1 November by the Roman Catholic Church, the Anglican Communion, the Methodist Church, the Lutheran Church, and other Protestant churches.Wikipedia

The shenanigans and traditions that go on the night before come from the ancient Celts, as mentioned upthread.

No, it is the eve of a Holy Day (holiday)

All Saints' Day, also known as All Hallows' Day, Hallowmas, Feast of All Saints, or Solemnity of All Saints, is a Christian festival celebrated in honour of all the saints, known and unknown.

In Western Christianity, it is celebrated on 1 November by the Roman Catholic Church, the Anglican Communion, the Methodist Church, the Lutheran Church, and other Protestant churches.Wikipedia

The shenanigans and traditions that go on the night before come from the ancient Celts, as mentioned upthread.

That's how I view Halloween RR. Of course I also think it's a very special day because it is my son's birthday. He was born a few minutes before Midnight.

Is Halloween a holiday you ask? Let's see:
1. I get to place pounds of candy into my shopping cart with zero guilt or judgey looks from other shoppers.
2. Then I can congratulate myself on my personal restraint for not opening those bags until October 30th - or the 31st if I'm really disciplined.
3. Enjoy the parade of chaperoning parents with adorably dressed toddlers and children as they come to my door, politely saying Trick or Treat (the littlest ones being prompted), then adding thank you when they leave.
4. Enjoying the leftover candy, bit by bit through November.

Honey, if this doesn't qualify as a holiday, I don't know what does!!!

1. Put pounds of candy into my shopping cart with no guilt.
2. Feel good about my personal restraint when not opening those bags until October 30 - or the 31st if I'm really disciplined.
3. Have parents and adorably dressed toddlers and children come to my door, politely saying Trick or Treat (the littlest ones being prompted), then adding thank you when they leave.
Sounds like fun to me, and always has been.

1. I get to place pounds of candy into my shopping cart with zero guilt or judgey looks from other shoppers.
2. Then I can congratulate myself on my personal restraint for not opening those bags until October 30th - or the 31st if I'm really disciplined.
3. Enjoy the parade of chaperoning parents with adorably dressed toddlers and children as they come to my door, politely saying Trick or Treat (the littlest ones being prompted), then adding thank you when they leave.
4. Enjoying the leftover candy, bit by bit through November.

Honey, if this doesn't qualify as a holiday, I don't know what does!!!
Haha. I’m with you on this starsong.
I’ve got it even better.
I get to purchase all the Halloween candy knowing full well no kids ever show up. Sooooo
It’s mine! ALL MINE!!! Unfortunately it never lasts all the way through November.
That’s what happens when you live in a rural area.

Even tho your aunt might be technically right to call Hal. “an observance”, I thought it was kind of snarky of her to call you on it. Is that the kind of person she is? If someone said something like that to me I’d be tempted to snap back “Well, you KNOW WHAT I MEAN!” Haha.

Back