Is it impolite to bring food container's to a family get-together dinner?

In my family, if someone was unable to attend a family function (work, illness, whatever), their spouse was given several plates with a little bit of everything in them to take to the one who couldn't come. And usually those plates were prepared as soon as the food was laid out, before anyone ate.

But to bring your own doggie bag containers? That's really rude! I would laugh it off if it were a family function but any other type of social function or gathering? Ain't gonna happen around me if I'm the hostess. I'd dish them out some southern shame!
Amen to that one Suzy...and welcome to the forum. Hope you truly enjoy yourself!

Seems to me the hostess could have worked this out with her daughter beforehand, especially when I had left them something in my will and they knew it. Needless to say I have since changed my will.
You could change your will to give them some food containers and any of the edible food left in your house when you pass. :LOL::sneaky: Or do I just have a warped sense of humor?

We do that in the US too and the dogs names are John and Linda.

Hi Linda.
I have a friend who has three lively dogs and they eat almost anything that humans eat (which is unhealthy for dogs)imo. When I have left- overs like large casseroles I put the unwanted in a box snd give it to my friend and he sais they gobble it up 😆

Vets say not to give dogs people food, but I don't think it's unhealthy for them. Dogs are omnivores, they can and eat lots of stuff. People food is bad for them if they are spicy, too spicy food is not healthy for humans either.

Vets say not to give dogs people food, but I don't think it's unhealthy for them. Dogs are omnivores, they can and eat lots of stuff. People food is bad for them if they are spicy, too spicy food is not healthy for humans either.
I dont like giving the dogs my leftovers albeit it meat casseroles and not spicy. My friend feeds them food I feel is not too good for them like waste pies and fish from the chippy near him and just hope the things are not too old. Scraps and bowls of dog biscuits. I am not that closer a friend to say how I feel and even if I did i feel he wouldnt heed.

I dont like giving the dogs my leftovers albeit it meat casseroles and not spicy. My friend feeds them food I feel is not too good for them like waste pies and fish from the chippy near him and just hope the things are not too old. Scraps and bowls of dog biscuits. I am not that closer a friend to say how I feel and even if I did i feel he wouldnt heed.
I wish you would tell him about the spices and too much salt, though. He may not know about that or to watch out for bones like fish and chicken. You said his dogs are ''lively'', that sounds healthy, but just curious, how long do his dogs live usually?

It’s not unhealthy at all . It depends on what type of human food you are feeding them. Processed ( junk food) food isn’t really good for them but neither is ‘most’ cheap processed dog food either. We feed our dogs an equal portion of quality meat 50% and 50% assorted steamed vegetables are they are thriving. It’s expensive and a lot more work but they are worth it to me.

Last edited:
It’s not unhealthy at all . It depends on what type of human food you are feeding them. Processed human food isn’t really good for them but neither is ‘most’ processed dog food either. We feed our dogs an equal portion of quality meat 50% and 50% assorted steamed vegetables are they are thriving. It’s expensive and a lot more work but they are worth it to me.
When I first became a vegetarian, I started feeding my dogs vegetarian food for dogs. I had four dogs and it required a lot of ingredients and cooking a big pot every other day. They had no problem with it, ate it all up, but it was expensive and time consuming and they farted all the time. I don't recall all the ingredients but two of them were brown rice and brown lentils. I went back to regular dog chow soon enough. When you feed meat, I'm assuming it's raw, what about the chances of botulism or salmonella or other stuff, they're always recalling meats it seems.

I wish you would tell him about the spices and too much salt, though. He may not know about that or to watch out for bones like fish and chicken. You said his dogs are ''lively'', that sounds healthy, but just curious, how long do his dogs live usually?

Had them years and one is an old Jack Russell about 13, the other two are Brothers and cross Bedlington terriers Greyhounds ages about 7. I will mention bones and salt.

I will make sure that what I give them as left overs are healthy for them🐶🐶🐶

When I first became a vegetarian, I started feeding my dogs vegetarian food for dogs. I had four dogs and it required a lot of ingredients and cooking a big pot every other day. They had no problem with it, ate it all up, but it was expensive and time consuming and they farted all the time. I don't recall all the ingredients but two of them were brown rice and brown lentils. I went back to regular dog chow soon enough. When you feed meat, I'm assuming it's raw, what about the chances of botulism or salmonella or other stuff, they're always recalling meats it seems.
Oh nooooooo it’s COOKED meat. There is noooo way I could feed them raw meat. 🤢 If I had to hunt to eat I think I would probably starve. 😦 No. it’s all cooked. They get steak, chicken, turkey, salmon, cod , liver, chicken hearts and gizzards, ground beef, stewing beef and they love it. It was suggested by the holistic vet we took them to. I add things like turmeric and oil of oregano to it or anything I think they need and they eat it with no problems. They are without a double improved in health since changing their diet. I don’t want to be giving insulin to any more of our girls due to diabetes.

I am very careful to keep our pets slim and healthy. Yes, they've gotten more than their share of people food, but we are judicious about what and how much. Our vet told us to love and spoil our dogs, so we do, but within reason.

We don't eat meat but our dog does because it's his natural diet. He gets kibble mixed with a little canned food. Also a bit of crust (with a bit of sauce on it, if you please) when I make pizza, and he loves to have a bite of my biscotti now and then during baking season.

He carries his bite sized biscotti around like a bone before settling down to eat it. Very cute... He's about 13 and in excellent health.

I am very careful to keep our pets slim and healthy. Yes, they've gotten more than their share of people food, but we are judicious about what and how much. Our vet told us to love and spoil our dogs, so we do, but within reason.

We don't eat meat but our dog does because it's his natural diet. He gets kibble mixed with a little canned food. Also a bit of crust (with a bit of sauce on it, if you please) when I make pizza, and he loves to have a bite of my biscotti now and then during baking season.

He carries his bite sized biscotti around like a bone before settling down to eat it. Very cute... He's about 13 and in excellent health.
Your dog has good epicurian taste and he must be Italiano. LOL

Are you vegetarian or vegan? You may have told, but it's hard to remember all the member's info, I'm lucky I remember as much as I do at 77. I'm a vegetarian since 1984. I could never be a vegan, but besides a lot of cheese, I eat very few eggs and no cow milk and even stopped using honey, use real maple syrup instead.

Your dog has good epicurian taste and he must be Italiano. LOL

Are you vegetarian or vegan? You may have told, but it's hard to remember all the member's info, I'm lucky I remember as much as I do at 77. I'm a vegetarian since 1984. I could never be a vegan, but besides a lot of cheese, I eat very few eggs and no cow milk and even stopped using honey, use real maple syrup instead.
I've been full vegan for almost six years, however I suspend the dairy portion several times a week during the holidays because of all the butter and eggs I use in baking (margarine and fake eggs don't perform as well in cookies). Plus cheese for the pizza because vegan cheeses just don't measure up IMHO.

When traveling I will sample local specialties regardless of it often crossing my normal eating boundaries. (When in Rome...) My nephew calls me a "practical vegan," meaning that I try not to make a pain-in-the-ass out of myself when I'm a guest in someone's home or at an event they're hosting. Without drama, I eat around the meat, do the best I can with the dairy, and sometimes surrender to the situation and eat a piece of fish.

Overall per12 months of eating I come in at about 95% non-dairy, 99.9% non meat, and roughly 98% fish-free.

p.s. I'm half Italian and my dog seems to happily embrace that heritage.

Plus cheese for the pizza because vegan cheeses just don't measure up IMHO.
When I first became a vegetarian I tried the fake cheese and it was awful. I do eat some Morningstar brand fake meats and they're not bad. As for eggs, I buy and pay more happily for the ''cage free eggs". When I need milk for cooking I usually buy soy milk and rarely buy cow milk (I don't drink either one).

Faux cheese really sucks doesn’t it. I can’t find anything that tastes like real cheese but there are plenty of different types of milks now. For myself I use almond, coconut and cashew milks

Back