Is long term Care a smart decision?

>>Medicare did pay for my friend's mom's very nice SNH for 3 months. She lives in another state and is thankfully back home now. She sure got "value received". >>

Yes, but again, this has nothing to do with Medicaid and the spend-down of assets.

What many people don't realize is that seniorcare facilities make their own individual decisions as to whether to subsidize residents who have 'run out of money' and must go on Medicaid.

We have found that for-profit facilities - which are the majority in the U.S. and are busy buying up non-profits whenever they can find one willing to sell - are generally not willing to subsidize Medicaid patients. If you run out of money.....you leave.

The ONLY reason they will let you stay is because by state law they can't "dump" you on the street, IF there are no Medicaid beds available within a reasonable radius (which can be over 50+ miles, depending on area density). But once a bed is available - out you go.

This happened to one of those "friend of a friend". He was single and had a fair amount of savings in his 50's. But he became permanently disabled in an auto accident. His savings paid for a very good SNH.....for a while. When the money ran out, he was eventually transferred to a facility that accepted Medicaid.

We're familiar with this facility, in fact - it's less than a mile from our home. With Medicaid, you don't get a choice. Once you're in, you're there until you walk out or get carried out. It's not the worst facility in the world, but it's definitely depressing compared to the quality of the better facilities. It's crowded, the air always smells stale, the staff is there only to "do their job" and no more.

The friend is mentally alert but physically unable to live without full-time help. He's in a room with 3 other "residents". It's a rotten situation to be in. He hates it, but there's nothing he can do since there's no $$$$ to pay for something better.

We are thankful we're able to pay for the LTCi which will avoid being stuck in such an unpleasant situation.

Being a single person with no children and little extended family left that I thought would assume the task, I decided long ago that it would be up to me to put things in place for my care when the time came if I needed it. I worked for a state agency and the state employment system offered excellent insurance (health, life, accident, etc.) paying the entire premium for the employee. There were other options that the employee could select and pay a group rate premium. On one occasion they offered LTC insurance and I immediately enrolled. I hope I don't need it but it's there if I do. I guess you just have to give some serious thought about what would happen if you became demented or physically incapacitated and plan accordingly. Mathjac107 mentioned "partnership policies". Texas has such a program and I expect other states do as well since it seems to help states conserve their Medicaid funds. The original poster might check with her state's Department of Insurance to see what they might offer regarding LTC assistance.

Very true. The process has gotten so long and intricately complicated that just about everyone who applies without a lawyer is turned down, even my friend who has a debilitating (and probably fatal in the future) heart condition, complications of diabetes, and who is legally blind was turned down the first time. She hired an attorney experienced in the field and finally was approved, but it took two and a half years.

And of course, SSDI stops when you reach fra (full retirement age).
It’s hard to fake Down’s syndrome or other birth defects. People with these issues are usually not turned down for SSDI. Of course, if the parents are rich they will not get money until they are 18. My grandson had to hire an attorney to get SSDI.

>>Medicare did pay for my friend's mom's very nice SNH for 3 months. She lives in another state and is thankfully back home now. She sure got "value received". >>

Yes, but again, this has nothing to do with Medicaid and the spend-down of assets.

What many people don't realize is that seniorcare facilities make their own individual decisions as to whether to subsidize residents who have 'run out of money' and must go on Medicaid.

We have found that for-profit facilities - which are the majority in the U.S. and are busy buying up non-profits whenever they can find one willing to sell - are generally not willing to subsidize Medicaid patients. If you run out of money.....you leave.

The ONLY reason they will let you stay is because by state law they can't "dump" you on the street, IF there are no Medicaid beds available within a reasonable radius (which can be over 50+ miles, depending on area density). But once a bed is available - out you go.

This happened to one of those "friend of a friend". He was single and had a fair amount of savings in his 50's. But he became permanently disabled in an auto accident. His savings paid for a very good SNH.....for a while. When the money ran out, he was eventually transferred to a facility that accepted Medicaid.

We're familiar with this facility, in fact - it's less than a mile from our home. With Medicaid, you don't get a choice. Once you're in, you're there until you walk out or get carried out. It's not the worst facility in the world, but it's definitely depressing compared to the quality of the better facilities. It's crowded, the air always smells stale, the staff is there only to "do their job" and no more.

The friend is mentally alert but physically unable to live without full-time help. He's in a room with 3 other "residents". It's a rotten situation to be in. He hates it, but there's nothing he can do since there's no $$$$ to pay for something better.

We are thankful we're able to pay for the LTCi which will avoid being stuck in such an unpleasant situation.

here in ny we have no medicaid specific homes .. all private homes have a certain amount of beds for medicaid patients . however that is for new medicaid patients .

just about all take medicaid assignment once you have been a paying customer for 2-3 years using either your own money or a state partnershp plan which provides 3 years payments .

Back