Is Retirement All It's Cracked Up To Be?

IMHO, retirement is like life in general. You get out of it what you put into it. Having retired several times, it became clear that retirement was just another phase in that quest for happiness - seeking some degree of physical comfort, something to do that you enjoy, people to befriend/love and things to look forward to. The challenge can become on of finding/being with people who share your interests, affording the things you need, want or want to do and maintaining your health. It is like having another job where the work is different and, hopefully, more interesting and enjoyable.

I love my retirement. I retired from education at the age of 53.5 & have never looked back. So far I have been happily retired for 21 years & still counting. I have enough pension & savings to keep me contented. When I look at the work force now with everyone running 7 days/week, a lot of private contracts, the stress, the multi-tasking, the contract work, etc. I'm glad that I don't have to do it anymore. There are less and less people with good jobs that promise a pension & more and more people with Mac jobs or on some sort of contract. Government keeps bringing in immigrants for cheap labour because the locals wouldn't work for those low Mac jobs. You can keep that. The secret to a happy retirement is to have a lot of hobbies & interests. Sitting all day watching the TV is asking for an early grave.

I love my retirement. I retired from education at the age of 53.5 & have never looked back. So far I have been happily retired for 21 years & still counting. I have enough pension & savings to keep me contented. When I look at the work force now with everyone running 7 days/week, a lot of private contracts, the stress, the multi-tasking, the contract work, etc. I'm glad that I don't have to do it anymore. There are less and less people with good jobs that promise a pension & more and more people with Mac jobs or on some sort of contract. Government keeps bringing in immigrants for cheap labour because the locals wouldn't work for those low Mac jobs. You can keep that. The secret to a happy retirement is to have a lot of hobbies & interests. Sitting all day watching the TV is asking for an early grave.
To a T, Packer. Well said.

It seems to me sometimes that life didn't begin until I retired. The forty-five years I worked before retiring,
most were difficult for me. Retirement has been pleasant, a laid back life and I have enjoyed it to he fullest.
It is ethe retirement years that have made it all worth while.

It seems to me sometimes that life didn't begin until I retired. The forty-five years I worked before retiring,
most were difficult for me. Retirement has been pleasant, a laid back life and I have enjoyed it to he fullest.
It is ethe retirement years that have made it all worth while.
So glad that you are enjoying retirement. It's not for everyone though, when my grandfather finally gave up work he became senile very quickly. It was so sad to see him like that. The reason that I work beyond the recognised retirement age is because I enjoy the stimulus. The cut and thrust of working life is even better when you are not dependent on the wage. When it's been a really tough day, others might say, "what a crap day," but I just love it, keeping all the balls in the air goes with the territory.

I've been self-employed since 1985; I'm a toolmaker and have my shop in my backyard. Never had any employees. I will be 71 in August, and never had any big desire to retire -- I've told people I will continue doing it until I can't.

I enjoy what I do and it gives me a purpose in life. Besides, being self-employed isn't like having a job; it becomes a way of life instead of some annoying thing you want to get away from.

But within the past month I've gotten severe pain in my right wrist, and now it's starting in my left wrist. I'm going back to the ortho tomorrow; he diagnosed it as arthritis a few weeks ago. I cannot work, I can barely function, so I guess the Golden Years are here whether I want them to be or not. I hope he can do something about it because at the rate this is progressing, I'll be an invalid in a few weeks.

I've been self-employed since 1985; I'm a toolmaker and have my shop in my backyard. Never had any employees. I will be 71 in August, and never had any big desire to retire -- I've told people I will continue doing it until I can't.

I enjoy what I do and it gives me a purpose in life. Besides, being self-employed isn't like having a job; it becomes a way of life instead of some annoying thing you want to get away from.

But within the past month I've gotten severe pain in my right wrist, and now it's starting in my left wrist. I'm going back to the ortho tomorrow; he diagnosed it as arthritis a few weeks ago. I cannot work, I can barely function, so I guess the Golden Years are here whether I want them to be or not. I hope he can do something about it because at the rate this is progressing, I'll be an invalid in a few weeks.
Is medical marijuana available where you live? For some arthritis sufferers it works very well, as does acupuncture. My sonā€™s mother in law has RA and swears by it. She also receives acupuncture. Acupuncture has worked wonders also with big dogs who suffer arthritis. Got them up and running about. I saw this in my friendā€™s old Labrador.

Is medical marijuana available where you live? For some arthritis sufferers it works very well, as does acupuncture. My sonā€™s mother in law has RA and swears by it. She also receives acupuncture. Acupuncture has worked wonders also with big dogs who suffer arthritis. Got them up and running about. I saw this in my friendā€™s old Labrador.

MM is supposed to be available here in NYS, although that's all I know about it. I'm wondering if it's arthritis or not -- it came on and is progressing so quickly. I always thought of it as being slower.

My late father had it in his knees, hands, and spine. I think he tried acupuncture although I don't recall it being of much help. He eventually had his knees replaced which worked out well for him.

Thanks for the tips, I'll see what the ortho has to say tomorrow.

You are most welcome. I hope things work out well for you. Please keep us informed.

thankyou.gif

MM is supposed to be available here in NYS, although that's all I know about it. I'm wondering if it's arthritis or not -- it came on and is progressing so quickly. I always thought of it as being slower.

My late father had it in his knees, hands, and spine. I think he tried acupuncture although I don't recall it being of much help. He eventually had his knees replaced which worked out well for him.

Thanks for the tips, I'll see what the ortho has to say tomorrow.
I've heard that CBD oil works well. The article in first link lists 9 health benefits of CBD oil, including helping with arthritis and pain (shown as separate categories). The second linked article explains the difference between cannabis oil and CBD oil including the properties of each. My grandson is getting acupuncture for chronic pain in his back. He says it works quite well for him. I hope you will find something that gives you relief.
https://www.drugs.com/medical-answers/health-benefits-cbd-3516616/

https://draxe.com/nutrition/cannabis-oil/

I've heard that CBD oil works well. The article in first link lists 9 health benefits of CBD oil, including helping with arthritis and pain (shown as separate categories). The second linked article explains the difference between cannabis oil and CBD oil including the properties of each. My grandson is getting acupuncture for chronic pain in his back. He says it works quite well for him. I hope you will find something that gives you relief.
https://www.drugs.com/medical-answers/health-benefits-cbd-3516616/

https://draxe.com/nutrition/cannabis-oil/

Shalimar and OED: So the ortho examined my wrists again, took X-rays of my left one to go along with the right. Arthritis is also in the left. He said I have two choices today: Take a steroid (?) medication which should help both wrists, or get a shot in the right one which is the worst. He said the shot would likely be more effective so that's what I did. I am to have a blood test too to check for auto-immune or something, because this all came on so fast.

I asked him about MM, but that would have to be addressed in their pain department. He didn't know much about how much it might help. I've read a zillion opinions about it over the years and they are as varied as the weather. I have taken MJ oil the past two Saturdays and it does help with felt pain, but only because I'm buzzed.

But I will check your links OED, thanks. :)

Shalimar and OED: So the ortho examined my wrists again, took X-rays of my left one to go along with the right. Arthritis is also in the left. He said I have two choices today: Take a steroid (?) medication which should help both wrists, or get a shot in the right one which is the worst. He said the shot would likely be more effective so that's what I did. I am to have a blood test too to check for auto-immune or something, because this all came on so fast.

I asked him about MM, but that would have to be addressed in their pain department. He didn't know much about how much it might help. I've read a zillion opinions about it over the years and they are as varied as the weather. I have taken MJ oil the past two Saturdays and it does help with felt pain, but only because I'm buzzed.

But I will check your links OED, thanks. :)
You are most welcome. Best of luck.šŸ™‚

Honestly, the meds I am currently taking for managing trauma are obviously affecting my thought processes. I now realise that I misnamed the product by using the term medical marijuana. Sigh, in fact, I was referring to products containing CBD oil, not the stoning properties of THC. OD, I apologise for my mistake.

Honestly, the meds I am currently taking for managing trauma are obviously affecting my thought processes. I now realise that I misnamed the product by using the term medical marijuana. Sigh, in fact, I was referring to products containing CBD oil, not the stoning properties of THC. OD, I apologise for my mistake.

No prob! :D

Retirement is what you make it. I was fortunate to retire at an early age - 55. No regrets. It's all about what's best for you. My hubby said he will work until he is not able to work anymore. He will work until he is forced to retire due to health issues.

I may look into Acupuncture for my tight, tensed muscles...especially in my neck and shoulders.

Back