"Is the lady of the house there?'

I got one of those 'cold call' phone calls. The guy asked. "Is the lady of the house there?' The first thing I thought was just when did the caller step out of the 1950s? The lady of the house? That's almost as bad as saying" the little woman". And, for all intents and purposes, I'm the "lady of the house". I told the caller, '"No,", and hung up. But it struck me how much our values have changed since the 50s. There is no more "woman's work". Slave labor, maybe, but no more woman's work.

I got one of those 'cold call' phone calls. The guy asked. "Is the lady of the house there?' The first thing I thought was just when did the caller step out of the 1950s? The lady of the house? That's almost as bad as saying" the little woman". And, for all intents and purposes, I'm the "lady of the house". I told the caller, '"No,", and hung up. But it struck me how much our values have changed since the 50s. There is no more "woman's work". Slave labor, maybe, but no more woman's work.
I would have said "sorry, there are no ladies here" .. then, hung up 🤣

Call me old-fashioned, but I take stuff like this all in stride, in fact I sort of enjoy it... "lady of the house".

Sort of takes me back in time.

Until I became old enough to start babysitting for mom and dad, mom would get a babysitter in, and the sitter (in her late 50's/60's) insisted on answering the telephone, and when she'd pick-up she'd always say... "this is the so-and-so's residence". LOL!

So, we received such a call the other day.....I answered the phone....

" Is the lady of the house there?" he asked.

"Speaking...."

Dead silence for a second...

"I'd like to talk to the lady of the house." He tried again...

"This IS the lady of the house."

"Sir..."

"I beg your pardon!. I am NOT a Sir! What do you want?"

"You don't sound like a lady."

"Well, I NEVER!! Just because my voice doesn't meet YOUR standards! Let me speak to your supervisor!"

He hung up. I chuckled as I made my way to the fridge for ice cream...

When a telemarketer calls and wants you to buy something or do something
just break out in this Leslie Gore song...be bold and loud. I'm pretty sure they'll hang up :ROFLMAO:
You Don't Own Me
Lesley Gore
You don't own me
Don't try to change me in any way
You don't own me
Don't tie me down 'cause I'd never stay
I don't tell you what to say
I don't tell you what to do
So just let me be myself
That's all I ask of you
I'm young and I love to be young
I'm free and I love to be free
To live my life the way I want
To say and do whatever I please
You don't own me
Don't try to change me in any way

This sales call is one of my favorites:

Win, that was absolutely hilarious! Don't know if I believe it was real, could just be two actors, but very funny anyway.

I've heard a number of these, usually with the call receiver pretending to be a confused old person. But I've never heard one with a "cop" before.

I had a knock at my front door not too long ago. I looked through the window and saw a youngish man wearing a polo shirt with a tag that said the words "regional manager". I didn't open the door but talked to him through the window asking what he wanted. He said he was with "satellite tv" and read off my address from some papers on a clipboard. I guess that was to "prove" he knew about me and that I had that service (never mind the big dish on my roof that says Direct TV) and said he needed to look at my DVR box to see if it was the "right" one, if it was hooked up correctly and replace it if it was not. I told him my service was working just fine and did not need to be checked. He kept on trying to talk his way into the house with offers of a discount to Dish tv (yes he is their regional manager as well). I kept refusing. He was about fed up and finally asked if my husband was home. I told him I made the decisions and he should leave before I call the cops. That finally got rid of him.

Just the title of this thread made me laugh.

"Hoarders" is one of my guilty TV pleasures and one of my favorite scenes was in this old episode. The house was squalid, per usual, and the owner was on the back porch smoking next to her ashtray that looked like a small landfill. The super-sweet therapist, Dr. Zasio, stuck her head out the door and piped, "There's the lady of the house!" Said lady looked straight at the camera and rolled her eyes. LOL

We used to get a lot of these calls at work. I thought the same thing. What decade are they in? They stopped when my boss answered and said "no she's dead" and the spammer asked if there was anyone else they could speak to. My boss said "no we're all in mourning" LOL Never got that call again.

We used to get a lot of these at my job. I thought the same thing. What decade were they calling from? The calls stopped when my boss answered "No, she's dead." To which they responded, "Is there anyone else I can speak to?" My boss said, "No, we're all in mourning." LOL We haven't had that spam call since. :LOL:

Back