Is there one thing in particular that you did for your Parents that made them Happy ?

I honestly cant recall what I did for my parents that made them both very happy. I was 23 and wed two years when Dad died and Mum died aged 84 in 1994. I dont think I ever did anything that stood out but I do know that we were a secure threesome (i'm an only child) I would love to think that I made them happy and proud. I do remember at my wedding that Dad did a speech as was done back then and he referred to me ss "his Princess" and beamed at me sitting there with my new Hubby

Probably it was the letter of thanks that I sent my parents after I moved to another Province when I was 19. Before then, I worked, but lived at home. Though I shared an apartment with an older sister, I was
fully paying my way. It was not always easy to budget and stretch that paycheck. It was a government
job, but the wage was entry-level. However, the benefits were good. I couldn't fathom how my parents
managed to pay a mortgage and feed & clothe a family of 4 (6 before then).

My parents would be happy when I'd come for a visit in their advanced years, and do work for them. Sometimes I'd be barely out of the car before they'd have me up on a ladder cleaning the gutters. I'd also paint, hang blinds, and change the time on their digital watches, which they could never figure out. They'd just let chores pile up as if I was the only person in the world who could do them...

Gave them a grandchild. They loved him so much and were through the moon whenever he went to stay for the weekend. Also, as my mother got up there in age, she knew she could count on me to handle her business affairs, take her to her appointments and care for her. My father had passed by then.

Kept my nose clean, helped my mom with the daily care of baby siblings, and did a whole lot of babysitting when mom and dad needed. Never got paid cash/money for babysitting my siblings, but did get rewarded from time-to-time with a little something special, and that meant more to me than any amount of money ever could.

My Dad, a jazz drummer, really liked coming to my gigs, during the holiday season. We had some great times.

My Mom liked hanging out, and I took her to Pavarotti's Chicago Lyric Opera debut as Rodolfo, in La Boheme. I also sang to her, after calling her up to the stage, in front of a packed house of around 500 people. Different gig, not at the Lyric.

Last edited:
My family is not really a happy🥳 type of family but I believe that my parents were thankful that I was able to make my way in the world as an adult without help from them.

I also believe that they were thankful and appreciative of things that I did to look after them in the last few years of their lives.

Back