Issues with Amazon Reviews

Medusa

Does anyone else write customer reivews on Amazon and if so, are you having trouble with Amazon's review algorithms?

So, I've been reviewing things I’ve bought from Amazon (which is a lot of what I buy) lately, because after all, I read reviews and often find the information helpful so… --and also, I thought it might be fun to create more of a "presence" online - or see if I could, anyway.

But, I have been having so much trouble with Amazon's review algorithms of late that I have been on the phone with them no less than three times in the last couple weeks, as well as chatting with their customer service bots and, I assume, live people when the bots get stuck.

Most of the time, only ten of my reviews appear at a time for whatever reason. Neither the bots, the live chat people or the agents on the phone can figure out what the issue is.

The last person I spoke with said the most helpful thing, which was that they seem to be having some technical problems in that area (paraphrase).

The only comfort is that I did check some other reviewers' sites and they seem to be having the same issues: Of the couple I checked, I noticed only ten of their reviews showing as well.

What's odd is that at random times all of my reviews will pop up, like corks. I don't know what's going on.

What’s more, my followers are not getting notices when I submit a new review. What the bleeding hell is the point of the following?

It's a little frustrating to go to the trouble of writing a review and having the people who follow you not be aware of it. I don't even know if the people who don't follow me who happen to run across my reviews in searching for a particular product even see them since most of the time I can't.

I'm almost afraid to mention this as I have a healthy fear of the internet gods. Lightning bolts! LOL

I've only written 2 or 3 reviews on Amazon. Mainly when I'm not pleased with the quality of an item.
Yes, that what I was doing also until a few weeks (couple months?) ago, when I decided to rev it up. Well, I revving.... Amazon? 🤨

Several years ago I did a few reviews on Amazon. Then one day, I had a major compliant about one of their product and told them so in a review. Some how this "bad" review of mine was never published so I stopped writing any reviews for them. Anyway, they don't pay me and life is just too short.

Several years ago I did a few reviews on Amazon. Then one day, I had a major compliant about one of their product and told them so in a review. Some how this "bad" review of mine was never published so I stopped writing any reviews for them. Anyway, they don't pay me and life is just too short.
I thought it would be nice to do since I benefit from the reviews of others' and there is that "making a presence" thing I'm trying. But that's hard when Amazon is playing Whac-A-Mole with my reviews.

I can't even begin to say how many reviews I have written on Amazon. Many over the years. The reason I do this is because people say the reviews are not real or true. Mine are genuine. I admit, I do not usually write a negative review unless they send me a message and ask me to review it. I tell the truth. For years I was an Amazon affiliate on my blogs (I had 4) and had their links on my blogs. Now I resigned from that and took off all the affiliate links so that my blog (only 1 now) is not pushing any products.

I have never had the reviews not showing but I don't normally go back to look. When I write them, I write a whole bunch at once just going down the line of all the products I recently bought.

I've posted many reviews on Amazon and "Yelp."
Some businesses who ripped me off really regretted it & tried to have my "Yelp" reviews removed. None were successful. Two of them contacted me by phone, yelling & screaming at me over the reviews. That made it worse for them; I edited the reviews - ADDING the information about their behavior & included a warning that the next call from them will result in a police report for harassment. And 3 businesses contacted me & made it right as a result of my reviews & I edited them accordingly.
Friends have asked me to write negative reviews for them that were deserved. They also got justice - quickly.

Does anyone else write customer reivews on Amazon and if so, are you having trouble with Amazon's review algorithms?
I write reviews online, I'll give a good rating if I'm pleased, and a really scathing review if the goods or services are sup-par. I know that online retailers will screen out some negative reviews, not much I can do about that, my review is my attempt to convey my approval or disapproval. I suspect that reviews are "cherry-picked" and sometimes there are positive reviews planted, it's just the way of the world.
Buyer beware!

I write reviews online, I'll give a good rating if I'm pleased, and a really scathing review if the goods or services are sup-par. I know that online retailers will screen out some negative reviews, not much I can do about that, my review is my attempt to convey my approval or disapproval. I suspect that reviews are "cherry-picked" and sometimes there are positive reviews planted, it's just the way of the world.
Buyer beware!
I don't know about Amazon but "Yelp" does not screen out negative reviews. Several of mine from 6 years ago are still there.

I have posted maybe four reviews on Amazon.com — since I joined in 1999. I haven't checked them all, but the recent one I posted is still there.

I have not had an occasion to post a negative review on Yelp, I have read that some businesses that have received a negative have retaliated against posters and bought suit.
I live for the moment when a business sues me for a negative review. When I do post a negative review, I also post details & I have written proof of every word I say. Suing me would make it worse for them; it would bring more negative publicity on themselves. I would add more details of the lawsuit to the review & I think they know it.
Besides, the law says that it's only "Slander" if you say things that are not true. If you say things that are true, it isn't slander & is not actionable.

I've written a few reviews but I never bothered to check to see if they actually showed up. They probably did since they were positive reviews. I generally research products pretty thoroughly before buying them and usually am satisfied with the item.

That said, I bought a Cuisinart frying pan not too long ago and after a few uses, it now has a bunch of like five inch circles on the Teflon surface, which I believe was from the manufacturing process. It's nowhere near as nonstick as it was when it was new. So I'll probably return it and give it a bad review since it cost $40, which to me is a lot of money for a frying pan — especially since the quality isn't as good as a cheap T-Fal frying pan.

I've written a few reviews, but have never checked on their status. At one time Amazon was rife with obviously phony reviews. It was infuriating. Click on a 5 star reviewer's name, and up would pop dozens more -- all five stars. Amazon had to do something get this thing under control, and whatever they are doing it seems to be working, or at least substantially slowing it down. Perhaps phony review measures have had an impact on legit users too?

I can't leave Amazon reviews..it won't let me. I used to be able to, and only ever left reviews for things which were exceedingly bad or vicky verky.. much better than expected. Never stated anything but facts.

Suddenly about 2 years ago as I went to leave a review it said someone had reported my reviews as fake, and I could no longer leave reviews.
Over the last 2 years I've contacted Amazon on numerous occasions, each time they say they've lifted the restriction.. but when I go to leave a review, it's still blocked! It's annoying, but I've got used to it now.. for every bad review, they're losing 5 good ones..

Buyer beware!
I think Amazon is working at leveling the field there and that is where the problems with their algorithms may be coming in. My reviews get approved, post on my page, stay for a while, dissapear in chunks and then reappear in the same way.

Even the cs reps don't know what's going on.

I was comforted to learn that I am at least not the only reviewer to which this is happening. It is intensely frustrating, however.

Still working on my Zen about it.

I can't even begin to say how many reviews I have written on Amazon. Many over the years. The reason I do this is because people say the reviews are not real or true. Mine are genuine. I admit, I do not usually write a negative review unless they send me a message and ask me to review it. I tell the truth. For years I was an Amazon affiliate on my blogs (I had 4) and had their links on my blogs. Now I resigned from that and took off all the affiliate links so that my blog (only 1 now) is not pushing any products.

I have never had the reviews not showing but I don't normally go back to look. When I write them, I write a whole bunch at once just going down the line of all the products I recently bought.
I tend to write my reviews one at a time, include pictures and videos where appropriate, and try to give pertinent information without telling my life story.

My reasons being that I benefit from and appreciate good, well thought out reviews from others, am trying, in a starting-out way, to create a presence of sorts, and I honestly want to get the information out there, whatever it is. (Just call me David Brinkley.)

So, having put that much effort in, when more than half of my reviews pop in and out like Whac-A-Mole's (and not just for me but everyone - I've asked friends to check - it's freaking frustrating.)

I understand and respect your resistence to promote or advertise on your blog. When a blog was my direction I'd planned on including no ads at all, employing a donate button instead. My focus was the blog, the conversation, the potential help. However, a little money would be great... hence the button. lol

Thanks for your helpful insights, @katlupe 🥰

Last edited:
I've posted many reviews on Amazon and "Yelp."
Some businesses who ripped me off really regretted it & tried to have my "Yelp" reviews removed. None were successful. Two of them contacted me by phone, yelling & screaming at me over the reviews. That made it worse for them; I edited the reviews - ADDING the information about their behavior & included a warning that the next call from them will result in a police report for harassment. And 3 businesses contacted me & made it right as a result of my reviews & I edited them accordingly.
Friends have asked me to write negative reviews for them that were deserved. They also got justice - quickly.
Good to hear that you wrote the "truth." Most people expect that the reviews are truthful. Any company that phones you and shouts at you for writing a negative (but truthful) review does not deserve to stay in business. As for Amazon, I am very happy with them. I like their products and I like the way they deliver. "Touch Wood" as they say!

You have a following on Amazon...Really?! How does that happen?
I have written maybe 25 reviews over the past few years. Once I couldn't get all the pages of my reviews to show up. I figured it was a site issue. Not all my reviews have been positive but so far, all were published.

Only on books, but I have had other customers ask me questions about other products I've bought. I guess Amazon provides the names for them.
I'm not sure, But I think Amazon sends you an auto email if you bought the item as you may be able to answer a question asked on the product page. I don't think they provide the question asker with your name. At least I hope not! :unsure:

Back