It is the Age Of Aquariums

I had 180 gallon salt water tank for many years.
View attachment 168236

I made this mermaid 60 gallon tank stand in honor of my wife.
View attachment 168237
Beautiful! I just love seeing large salt-water aquariums.... Some restaurants here still have them. I had a doctor who had one in his waiting room; it was huge.

They must be a lot of work and expense.

Beautiful! I just love seeing large salt-water aquariums.... Some restaurants here still have them. I had a doctor who had one in his waiting room; it was huge.

They must be a lot of work and expense.
It was a labor of love.
Here is a picture of the equipment it took to run the 60 gallon tank. Which all fit under the stand, except for the overflow box which hung on the back of the tank.
mermaid2.jpg

Aquanaut.....
iu

Last edited:
I had lots of aquariums and terrariums as a kid. Kept them stocked with local Florida wild things I caught, saltwater, freshwater, snakes, frogs, etc. Even some huge ants. Never bought anything from a pet store.

I still enjoy seeing them, but now they are more work than I would want, and I don't live in a place that has the variety of local wildlife for stock.

Great thread and title by the way!

I've had several aquariums. But before you go out and buy the biggest one you can, you should consider your environment. If you use AC for a large portion of the year, having a huge tank full of evaporating water is definitely going run up your AC bill, and it's always going to feel muggy in your home. I was always complaining about my AC, that it didn't work. Yet, when I emptied my aquarium to move it, suddenly my AC worked. That's why I got rid of my tank.

I've had several aquariums. But before you go out and buy the biggest one you can, you should consider your environment. If you use AC for a large portion of the year, having a huge tank full of evaporating water is definitely going run up your AC bill, and it's always going to feel muggy in your home. I was always complaining about my AC, that it didn't work. Yet, when I emptied my aquarium to move it, suddenly my AC worked. That's why I got rid of my tank.
Great advice!

Back