It sounds like we will be losing power for a few days

Mrs. Robinson

Our electric company has announced that they will be shutting off power to much of Northern California starting early on Wednesday morning due to high winds and dry conditions. I just got finished storing about 8 gallons of drinking water in my freezer-not to drink,but to put in the fridge if they do shut us down. This will be the third time in a little over a year where we will lose everything in our freezer-grrrr. Tomorrow night,before we go to bed,I`ll fill our (thankfully huge) bathtub and the five 5 gallon buckets I bought at Walmart last week. Hoping all this will last us til they turn us back on-could take up to 5 days they say. All the lines have to be checked for needed repairs before they can repower. I mostly worry about the animals-they drink A LOT of water when it`s this hot.

I’ve never heard of power being shut off for five days, What about individuals who need power for health reasons such as the elderly? My mother refrigerated her insulin and without that refrigeration she could not have had her in insulin stored properly.

I’ve never heard of power being shut off for five days, What about individuals who need power for health reasons such as the elderly? My mother refrigerated her insulin and without that refrigeration she could not have had her in insulin stored properly.

Thank you for the reminder,Lc. I have one vial of insulin in the fridge right now.If I pop the lid off,it`s good at room temp for 30 days. I will use it all by then.

Dear Nixle User,
PG&E Public Safety Power Shutoff
PG&E announced today (Oct. 7) that its meteorological and operations teams in its Emergency Operations Center continue to monitor a potentially widespread, strong and dry wind event Wednesday morning through Thursday afternoon. The event will impact northern, central, coastal and Bay Area counties across much of PG&E’s service area.
In response to this anticipated event, the National Weather Service has issued a Fire Weather Watch for vast portions of Northern California for midweek. The National Interagency Fire Center’s Geographic Area Coordination Center is also forecasting significant fire potential across Northern California beginning on Wednesday of this week.
Due to the forecasted extreme weather conditions, PG&E is considering proactively turning off power for safety, and implementing a Public Safety Power Shutoff, across portions of approximately 30 northern, central, coastal and Bay Area counties. This includes a large majority of the City of Lakeport, and unincorporated areas to the north. A customer resource center will be open and operational on Wednesday, October 9, 2019, from 8am to 6pm at the Clearlake Senior Center, located at 3245 bowers Avenue, Clearlake, California.
Portions of counties that may be impacted include, but is not limited to: Alameda, Alpine, Amador, Butte, Calaveras, Colusa, Contra Costa, El Dorado, Glenn, Lake, Mariposa, Mendocino, Napa, Nevada, Placer, Plumas, San Joaquin, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Santa Cruz, Shasta, Sierra, Solano, Sonoma, Stanislaus, Tehama, Tuolumne, Yolo and Yuba.
The main period of weather risk is early Wednesday morning through Thursday midday. The dry, windy weather pattern is expected to reach from the northern portions of PG&E’s service territory and down through the Sacramento Valley before spreading into the central areas of the state including most of the Bay Area.
PG&E will continue to monitor weather conditions and will be providing additional information regarding affected areas this afternoon.
How customers can prepare
As part of PSPS preparedness efforts, PG&E is asking customers to:
  • Update their contact information at pge.com/mywildfirealertsor by calling 1-866-743-6589 during normal business hours. PG&E will use this information to alert customers through automated calls, texts, and emails, when possible, prior to, and during, a Public Safety Power Shutoff.
  • Plan for medical needs like medications that require refrigeration or devices that need power.
  • Identify backup charging methods for phones and keep hard copies of emergency numbers.
  • Build or restock your emergency kit with flashlights, fresh batteries, first aid supplies and cash.
  • Keep in mind family members who are elderly, younger children and pets. Information and tips including a safety plan checklist are available at pge.com/wildfiresafety.
  • Learn more about wildfire risk and what to do before, during and after an emergency to keep your family safe at PG&E’s Safety Action Center.
While customers in high fire-threat areas are more likely to be affected by a Public Safety Power Shutoff event, any of PG&E’s more than 5 million electric customers could have their power shut off because the energy system relies on power lines working together to provide electricity across cities, counties and regions.
Generator safety
Backup electric generators can be a part of any preparedness plan, but they can also pose unique safety hazards.
It’s important to understand how to safely operate your generator before an emergency occurs. This means doing regular safety checks and being sure you have enough fuel to last a few days. If you don’t understand how to use your generator, you risk damaging your property, endangering your life and endangering the lives of others.
Position your generator where its exhaust can vent safely to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning, which can be fatal. Never run a portable generator in the garage or in the rain, and never store generator fuel in the house.

I’m sorry to learn you are going through such hardship Mrs. Robinson. The longest our power has been out for is three 1/2 days. and it was tough.
We weren’t seniors either.

Hang in there. Will you still get to chat with us?

I will likely be MIA during the outage as my laptop has no battery. And I`ll be saving my phone battery for emergencies. I hope it won`t stretch to 5 days like they are saying is possible-I know my son in law,who works for the Utility,was gone restoring power in another area last week and was back home after only a day or so. But it sounds like more customers will be affected here. I`m hoping those of us in the more rural parts,those of us that depend on wells,will be restored sooner rather than later.

I will likely be MIA during the outage as my laptop has no battery. And I`ll be saving my phone battery for emergencies. I hope it won`t stretch to 5 days like they are saying is possible-I know my son in law,who works for the Utility,was gone restoring power in another area last week and was back home after only a day or so. But it sounds like more customers will be affected here. I`m hoping those of us in the more rural parts,those of us that depend on wells,will be restored sooner rather than later.
Well we will be thinking of you and wishing you the best. I hope your time passes quickly and that you stay safe.

I keep telling myself it won`t be THAT bad,but I know it probably will be. But I don`t want to go through another fire either-although our fire last year was not caused by the power company`s lines coming down. Everyone wants to blame them,but in reality,only one of last year`s fires was found to be due to their lines being poorly maintained. That was the Paradise fire and definitely the worst fire of all. Pretty much wiped out two towns. So I`m just trying to find my "pioneer spirit" and figure we`ll get through it!

Our electric company has announced that they will be shutting off power to much of Northern California starting early on Wednesday morning due to high winds and dry conditions. I just got finished storing about 8 gallons of drinking water in my freezer-not to drink,but to put in the fridge if they do shut us down. This will be the third time in a little over a year where we will lose everything in our freezer-grrrr. Tomorrow night,before we go to bed,I`ll fill our (thankfully huge) bathtub and the five 5 gallon buckets I bought at Walmart last week. Hoping all this will last us til they turn us back on-could take up to 5 days they say. All the lines have to be checked for needed repairs before they can repower. I mostly worry about the animals-they drink A LOT of water when it`s this hot.
Good luck.....

It just sounds criminal to me Mrs. R., to deliberately turn the power off for days. .. We've had days of power outages around here, but that was caused by tropical storms that came through. And that was rough, but we could only live with the situation.

Wishing you good survival skills ... I imagine you must have them by now having dealt with this before. .

If this is going to be a problem you should look into buying a gas powered generator for the essentials such as a freezer. You don't have to run it all the time. Just enough to keep stuff frozen or cold. It will give you light as well.

That looks pretty tough to me, and I would be tempted to pack up the family and head out of the area for a few days. One of my brothers is in Clearlake and I think he will head up to Oregon.
You stay safe, and I will keep you in my prayers.

If this is going to be a problem you should look into buying a gas powered generator for the essentials such as a freezer. You don't have to run it all the time. Just enough to keep stuff frozen or cold. It will give you light as well.

Seconding this. We've been out for over a week several times due to ice storms. Parents were out almost three weeks post Katrina. You only have to cool the freezer and fridge a few times a day if you keep them closed. We pull out things we use frequently and keep them in a cooler to reduce need to open the fridge door. The generator will pay for itself saving food if this happens several more times.

We've also got solar for charging devices. The smaller ones aren't very expensive. Also have solar Luci lights that last an amazingly long time.

So sorry you are facing this. :( Prayers for you and yours that the outage goes smoothly and that there are no fires.

Last edited:
I am with Camper, rent or buy a small generator and invoice
the power company.

One at 3.5KVA should do it, you might need to travel to get one
as all the local suppliers will be out of stock I fear.

Mike.

@Mike is right about invoicing the power company. Great idea! Since you're on insulin, that's reasonable that they provide an alternate to keep it cool when they shut your power off.

I guess they {PG&E} see it as the {of course} lesser of two evils? This being an inconvenience, whereas fire is devastation.

Let's face it, they are right...........

Best of luck to you.

P.S. A friend of mine just went through the Santa Rosa fire two? years ago. He [life & property] was spared but he had several friends that lost everything. Many , still living in campers/temporary housing. Most of these folks are anything but young , and it is a horrible hardship on them. As per my friend, they may never be back to anything normal.

Yes . A generator will help out greatly. That’s what we use. I hope you are able to get one. I’d imagine many are thinking the same thing.

Agree on keeping fridge and freezer doors closed as much as possible. We made sure to have plenty of water to be able to still flush the toilet.

I guess they {PG&E} see it as the {of course} lesser of two evils? This being an inconvenience, whereas fire is devastation.

Let's face it, they are right...........

Best of luck to you.

P.S. A friend of mine just went through the Santa Rosa fire two? years ago. He [life & property] was spared but he had several friends that lost everything. Many , still living in campers/temporary housing. Most of these folks are anything but young , and it is a horrible hardship on them. As per my friend, they may never be back to anything normal.

You are correct. In fact,the Santa Rosa fire started 2 years ago today. And yes,it was a devastating fire as far as homes lost. The hospital where my husband had his knee replaced a few weeks ago was brand new at the time and came so close to being lost. They had to evacuate patients with flames all around them. PG&E was blamed for that fire,but it turned out that it started on a woman`s property that was not served by PG&E. She had some private company.

We may look into a generator for next year but I`m not sure. I don`t really feel comfortable with storing fuel here. We`ll see.

The last time we were without power was when we were evacuated,so the only downside was what we lost in the freezer and insurance covered that.

Back