It's not going to be a fun morning.........more skin cancer.

Well the one on my shoulder was removed and sewn up about an hour ago........all went well.

My doctor has faxed my file, with pictures, to the doctor that he feels is better qualified to do the work on my nose and all I'm doing now is waiting on a call for the first appointment.

Glad to hear all went well with your shoulder Ike. You must be pleased to have it behind you. Health issues and surgeries are so disruptive and troubling at this time of year especially.

Best health to you. Peace - Chic :eek:

Thank you Chic.......I've got a feeling that yesterday was a piece of cake compared to what it's going to be like removing the cancers from my nose.

I just hope that after he's finished that I'm still as pretty as I am now. :)

Ike, good to know your shoulder went well. I don't envy you at all with the nose cancer, I hope they can remove it with minimal damage, that must be very painful. :(

Ike, good to know your shoulder went well. I don't envy you at all with the nose cancer, I hope they can remove it with minimal damage, that must be very painful. :(

The gal from the place I'm being referred to called today and they are going to get me in for a 'look see' on the 17th.

A 'look see' meaning she said that the doctor had seen my post biopsy pictures but before doing any surgery he wanted to physically look at my nose before he scheduled a surgery.

I could be totally wrong, and hopefully I am, but it kinda sounds like to me that after seeing the pictures he doesn't want to do the work and he's going to send me off to a plastic surgeon which is basically the last option.......or it could be that he wants to look and see if he wants to do it in a hospital vs his office.

All I'm doing at this stage is guessing and won't know anything till the 17th.

I went yesterday for my 'look see' and this doctor removes cancer using the 'Mohs' procedure, as opposed to just cutting wide and deep the first time he makes a thin slice, checks it, another thin slice and checks and keeps doing this till it shows he has removed it all (he has a lab in house) and then closes the wound. He said that he would more than likely have to get tissue from behind my ears and graft it in on each spot.

Both spots are on the side of each nostril close to the cheek and are already a divot from being removed once before but apparently not all of it was removed because it came back....so from the start he's dealing with areas where the nostril wall has already been thinned.

He's only going to do one at a time and the first one is scheduled for Jan. 26th at 7:15 a.m. and could take anywhere between 4 to 8 hours depending how many times he has to cut and how long it takes to repair the wound area.....I also have to have a designated driver (mama) take me home because he said that he'll but a large compression bandage on the wound site afterwards, that can't be wet or removed for 48 hours, and my glasses may not fit correctly.

Then after the first side heals enough to suit him he'll then start on the other side and begin the procedure all over so it kinda looks like I'll have bandaged and scabbed up nose and ears for a few months after he gets started........oh well, at least I'll still have a nose.

At our ages it's a good idea to see a dermatologist once a year for a full body check, they are more in tune with what to look for vs your normal family m.d.

I was in Vietnam for five years and nine months and although there are skin and other types of cancers connected with Agent Orange basal cells are not one of them......basal cells are more attributed to sun exposure and show up later in life.

Have yourselves looked at folks.

Good luck with your removals Ike..

I had some done also, being a truck driver, mine appeared on the left side of my face..I was told this is common with drivers as they get the sun and mirror reflection there!!

My worst one was on my cheek and I thought that I would look like I had a centipede on my face with 23 stitches!! The doc was great and made the stitches in the folds of my cheek and it is hardly noticeable..

I went yesterday for my 'look see' and this doctor removes cancer using the 'Mohs' procedure, as opposed to just cutting wide and deep the first time he makes a thin slice, checks it, another thin slice and checks and keeps doing this till it shows he has removed it all (he has a lab in house) and then closes the wound. He said that he would more than likely have to get tissue from behind my ears and graft it in on each spot.

Both spots are on the side of each nostril close to the cheek and are already a divot from being removed once before but apparently not all of it was removed because it came back....so from the start he's dealing with areas where the nostril wall has already been thinned.

He's only going to do one at a time and the first one is scheduled for Jan. 26th at 7:15 a.m. and could take anywhere between 4 to 8 hours depending how many times he has to cut and how long it takes to repair the wound area.....I also have to have a designated driver (mama) take me home because he said that he'll but a large compression bandage on the wound site afterwards, that can't be wet or removed for 48 hours, and my glasses may not fit correctly.

Then after the first side heals enough to suit him he'll then start on the other side and begin the procedure all over so it kinda looks like I'll have bandaged and scabbed up nose and ears for a few months after he gets started........oh well, at least I'll still have a nose.

Thanks for the well wishes Ken.

What a coincidence. I got a call from my Dermatologist yesterday telling me the biopsy taken from my nose two weeks ago was positive for yet another Basal Cell Cancer. So now I am scheduled for surgery on January 6th. Nice way to start the new year eh? No big deal since I have gone through this many times before.

No big deal since I have gone through this many times before.

I've had skin cancer removed many, many times in the past also Lon and three times already on my nose but apparently this time it's going to be quite a bit more involved in order to keep me from ending up looking like a Pekingese. :)

Good luck with the procedure Ike, it sounds promising. I'll be thinking of you and hoping for the best.

What a coincidence. I got a call from my Dermatologist yesterday telling me the biopsy taken from my nose two weeks ago was positive for yet another Basal Cell Cancer. So now I am scheduled for surgery on January 6th. Nice way to start the new year eh? No big deal since I have gone through this many times before.

Sorry to hear your biopsy was positive Lon, hope your surgery goes smoothly.

Wishing you the best son. Like I've said before my Dad used to get deep tans every summer plus yard work. Wish I could hook you guys up. He goes through removal a few times a year. Hope you get through it with flying colors.

Cancer is undeniably a big deal Lon. Nice try at minimizing it! Positive wishes to you. Happy New Year....attitude is everything.

Back