It's official. Monkeypox.

but there's ALREADY a vaccine..I heard on the news. Isn't that something?
it is a vaccine for smallpox........ but was granted use in monkey pox as they are related viruses

from the FDA website

"JYNNEOS is the only FDA-licensed vaccine in the United States that is approved for prevention of monkeypox disease. JYNNEOS is also approved for prevention of smallpox disease. JYNNEOS is approved for use in individuals 18 years of age and older who are determined to be at high risk for smallpox or monkeypox infection. It is a live, non-replicating vaccine using Modified Vaccinia Ankara (MVA) virus that was originally developed for use in the event of a smallpox bioterrorist attack"

I welcome the government’s efforts to provide information about monkeypox and for working to increase the availability of vaccines.

I don’t see any of this as an infringement of my rights or freedom as an American.

I feel the government would be remiss if they didn’t take these basic steps to help educate and protect us against threats to public health.

I’m concerned that we may see an uptick in the rate of infection when millions of young people return to university campuses later this month.

I wouldn’t wish this nasty little disease on anyone!
I agree.

Masks aren't effective to avoid monkeypox because it is not an airborne virus.
That may or may not be true. First let me say the same thing I said about COVID when it first hit...they don't know everything yet. This is from CDD's page about preventing monkey pox exposure:
"Be aware that monkeypox can also spread through respiratory secretions with close, face-to-face contact."
So if you are sitting close to someone and they sneeze, can those respiratory particles infect you?
Also from that page:
Scientists are still researching:
"If the virus can be spread when someone has no symptoms
  • How often monkeypox is spread through respiratory secretions, or when a person with monkeypox symptoms might be more likely to spread the virus through respiratory secretions.
  • Whether monkeypox can be spread through semen, ******l fluids, urine, or feces."

When this first started, was first announced , we were told that it was primarly a disease spread by skin to skin contact of queer men. Then just a week or so ago , they stated that the most recent rise in the disease was among children ? The two announcements make no sense ? Particularly at such a short time between ?

Last edited:

Back