It's winter, and so I have a gut!

VisualBrian

D'oh!
That used to be true, but over the last ten years or so I'm finding that winter has less to do with it. I'm 6', 1" and when I was working, I weighed 185 pounds, give or take. Last time I weighed in I was 205 pounds, and I can't seem to lose weight. My jeans are complaining and I'm starting to look pregnant. I know this has to do with my metabolism, my age, my eating habits and beer, but I find myself at a loss as to how to stop the weight gain.

Telling myself to exercise control is not working. Help!

You're much more likely to lose weight by making some (maybe a combination of lots of small and easily manageable) dietary changes. That said, I'm not a nutritionist so I'm not going to offer any specific advice.

For the record, you and I are about the same height and weight, although I probably have different health issues.

A lot of folks who start exercising just to lose weight often give up because of slow results and can end up putting more weight on

That used to be true, but over the last ten years or so I'm finding that winter has less to do with it. I'm 6', 1" and when I was working, I weighed 185 pounds, give or take. Last time I weighed in I was 205 pounds, and I can't seem to lose weight. My jeans are complaining and I'm starting to look pregnant. I know this has to do with my metabolism, my age, my eating habits and beer, but I find myself at a loss as to how to stop the weight gain.

You obviously need a Costco belt!

Just kidding.✌️

Maybe since you can't exercise control with eating habits and beer maybe exercise control while shopping. That's always my approach, stop buying things that are bad for you or things you end up binging on.

For me, it's gotta be exercise
Not a treadmill, like some gargantuan mouse in a squirrel cage, going nowhere fast
No
Chopping wood, stuff like that
Or physically working...on something.....productive

When I retired from my office job, I was a lardo 265 lbs

Moved to the mountains
Built cabins
Lost 60 lbs
Never looked back

Last edited:
my eating habits and beer,
probably could pin point it down to that.

Metabolism according to this article doesn't change that much.
Metabolism Changes With Age, Just Not When You Might Think | Duke Today.

C50 has a good piece of advice about buying habits. exercise control while shopping.

Along with concern for having enough financial ability to enjoy senior years another biggie is health. That "starting to look pregnant" can end up causing you serious health problems/
How to Lose That Troubling Belly Fat

"Telling myself to exercise control is not working. Help!"

You are already helping yourself by recognizing an issue that you know will affect your quality of life. Good luck with taking the steps you know you need to take.

I went through a few years when I let myself get really heavy. I work at a desk, live on a farm, and the desk is the hard work.
I stumbled across a YouTube video on intermittent fasting and it's been working for me.
Maybe it will work for you too.

It can be challenging.

I'm getting more control of my metabolism with Metformin, modifying and restricting my diet, and increasing my activity level. Most of the times I test my fasting glucose well into the normal range and only occasionally above and I've lost some non-trivial weight. Even so, the weight loss can plateau. That might be the most disappointing thing, but staying the course does break through and more weight loss will come.

It is important not to get discouraged.

You can exercise till the cows come home and it won't flatten your belly nor heal your gut. My daughters just turned 40 and have the answer I believe. Their tummies are super flat and firm. I mean they'd be concave if their tummies got any flatter! They eat mindfully and I don't...not consistently that is...but we are all getting results now with flattening our bellies. They also exercise more than I. But I am now taking a Probiotic and Prebiotic blend in pill form and I've seen success with reduction of bloating and regularity .

Flattening your belly is all about gut health. Taking a blend of Probiotic and Prebiotic once a day is the answer but watch out. You must get a good brand. There are scammers out there...especially in the form of "gummies"...please...forget about gummies! I tried those first and it did nothing for me. It's just candy. Then I tried "Physician's Choice 60 Billion Probiotic" (it also contains Prebiotics). I found it reduced bloating significantly (overnight result for me but may take longer for others...I was pleasantly surprised!).

Then my daughter recommended what she takes which is more expensive but a great quality and also is good for heart and a bunch of other health needs. It's called "Seed Synbiotic". Here is a video of hers (I'm now taking Seed Synbiotic) but I recommend you go to their website as it's pretty impressive.

The cheaper one I mentioned in paragraph 2 was great and I hated to switch but I'm trusting that the expensive one is better overall (not just for the belly). So far so good and Ive been on it for a month. Here's the video for the more expensive one...Seed Synbiotic.

She is not getting paid for this review, It's not sponsored. She's a dietitian:

Last edited:

Back