J & J Sued for billions. Is it enough for corporations to make money, regardless of any moral concerns?

Johnson & Johnson was successfully sued for $18 billion. It was for the side effects of its psych med. It seems boys were growing large female breasts. Was this a one time, weird incident? Well, there are another 13,000 law suits that say, no. It is alleged the company knew about this side effect. When I was a kid, I thought corporations existed solely to make money. I thought all their decisions were aimed at profits. Maybe I was wrong in thinking that. But, today, the latest generation thinks business must be moral as well as concerned about profit. While we want business to be ethical; we, who are retired depend on their profits to survive. Morality can cost money= less profits=less dividends. What do think about ethics, morality and dividends?
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/jandj-hit-with-dollar8-billion-jury-award-over-antipsychotic-

Johnson & Johnson was successfully sued for $18 billion. It was for the side effects of its psych med. It seems boys were growing large female breasts. Was this a one time, weird incident? Well, there are another 13,000 law suits that say, no. It is alleged the company knew about this side effect. When I was a kid, I thought corporations existed solely to make money. I thought all their decisions were aimed at profits. Maybe I was wrong in thinking that. But, today, the latest generation thinks business must be moral as well as concerned about profit. While we want business to be ethical; we, who are retired depend on their profits to survive. Morality can cost money= less profits=less dividends. What do think about ethics, morality and dividends?
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/jandj-hit-with-dollar8-billion-jury-award-over-antipsychotic-

No point in going deep into this....I'll just say that IMO the [i heard 8 billion]? settlement is ridiculous . Just another attorney looking out for his/her best interest . I hope it is turned over on appeal.

If we ever hope to control the cost of healthcare in this country we need to find a better way of handling these issues other than endless lawsuits for enormous sums of money. Don't get me wrong I feel bad for the people who were not given all of the information about the drug and its side effects but in the end, the public is the one paying these settlements in the form of higher prices for care.

IMO the FDA should also have some skin in the game for approving the drug before the side effects were understood and properly noted in the black box warning of drug dangers and side effects.

No point in going deep into this....I'll just say that IMO the [i heard 8 billion]? settlement is ridiculous . Just another attorney looking out for his/her best interest . I hope it is turned over on appeal.
Agree. I can't believe that juries (or whoever set the settlement) thinks it is justified to access such a huge penalty. No wonder lawsuits are out of hand nowadays; everyone wants to cash in.

When people go to jail, over lying about or destroying potential adverse reactions about a drug, it will cease.

The jury award for punitive damages will likely be reduced by a significant amount for violating due process. It’s been a common ruling in SCOTUS cases concerning punitive damages for the last ten years or so.

We have well over 100 million lawsuits annually according to the Bureau of Justice statistics. Sickening.

The U.S. has 6 times more lawyers than the average in the rest of the civilized nations. Lawsuits are increasing replacing "common sense" and "Individual responsibility" in today's world. Where drugs are concerned....anyone listening to the disclaimers in the TV ads for these drugs would be well advised to do some serious investigation before taking Any of these drugs for any length of time.

Jail time is the only answer. Fines are crushing to people at the low end of the financial totem pole, but don't usually put a dent in the lifestyle of the wealthy. Looks like immense amount to most of us but it's just a business choice gone wrong for some. Gather things up and move on to the next profitable offering, whether shady or legit.

The kid who robs 80 buck from the local 7-11 is guaranteed jail time but the wealthy businessman who steal 1,000 times that amount just sends in a check and hops on his yacht for a family vacation. Maybe 5 or 6 years in the slammer would make him think twice.

It sounds like an award of $18 billion would get J&J's attention, but like most things in the US legal system, a lot of it is for show. You'd think that J&J would have to pay that. Nope. By the time lawyers come out of the backroom, maybe J&J will have to fork over a few million, if that. Juries are told how penalties actually are done- that just a fraction of damages actually get paid. That's the reason you see juries handing out monster size awards,. to ensure something gets paid to the plaintiffs.

It sounds like an award of $18 billion would get J&J's attention, but like most things in the US legal system, a lot of it is for show. You'd think that J&J would have to pay that. Nope. By the time lawyers come out of the backroom, maybe J&J will have to fork over a few million, if that. Juries are told how penalties actually are done- that just a fraction of damages actually get paid. That's the reason you see juries handing out monster size awards,. to ensure something gets paid to the plaintiffs.

Just a fine point.....it was 8 billion.

Johnson & Johnson Hit With $8 Billion Jury Verdict in ...

https://www.nytimes.com › health › johnson-and-johnson-risperdal-verdict

Huge sums of money get publicity/big headlines. The value there is that the wrongdoings are exposed to more people which brings about public condemnation and damage to ego, self-esteem. But corporations are really NOT people so they lack egos or self-esteem. Bad publicity might bring about loss of sales but that is easily countered by profits already made.

Public shaming only works for living, breathing human beings.

With all the information out if news came out about this side effect and consumers till purchased/went with that product should they be able to sue or get that much. Of course these companies should produce and sell safe products. But if one knows the potential risks and they still buy it other than medical care should they be entitled to anything beyond that?

Back